Blower unit fubar - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Blower unit fubar

Ok so I have an 08 2 door X auto.

The issue.
When I turn the AC or fan on the fan will only come on when the switch is between fan speeds and not stay in with high. Actually low medium and high are all in the span of what medium on the switch should be. This is when it will work at all if it would work all the time I'd just run it but it only works everyone kna while.

What I've done and results:
Replaced switch pannel with Mopar part no change.
Pulled resistor and it turned the dial the fan kicked in for a second and couldn't get it to repeat

HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-14-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update.
Switch is working now after removing and cleaning resistor. However when I turn the fan speed to high it shut off. I have to turn it off and then I can turn the fan back on but as soon as I turn on high it cuts off. Going to replace the resistor and see if it fixes it. May be blower motor at this point screw probably should just change that to. FYI the TPMS fuses and all relays are new from a previous issue that was fixed by the dealer with Mopar parts.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Rock God

Information needed to help , did hi fan work after dealer visit ? Or is this something new that you noticed after that visit because the weather turned warmer ?
Sometimes when going into TIPM there may be codes that don't showup on the dash .
Stored codes sometimes won't allow certain functions to operate .

Sometimes something as simple as disconnecting the battery completely and shorting the two leads together will clear some stored codes .

Tell us more , maybe Ron will chime in here , he is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to issues like this .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It was having the issues before the dealer visit. The dealer visit was 8 months ago and I've had the entire dash out changing the heater core. It stopped doing it for a while but now it's back. I have a traildash on the Jeep and there are no codes that it can read. Going to replace the resistor tomorrow. The symptoms seem like a bad controller in the dash that's why I installed a new one. As of now no clue what the issue is.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Rock God

PM ronjenx on this site he is really the one that has delved into the electronic controls of these JK's more than most others , I haven't ever been confronted by your particular issue .
But when you finally do find a cure for it please post up the result for the benefit of the rest of us that may run into a similar problem . It would help others from pulling out the remainder of their hair .
post #6 of 7 Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Granite Guru

Replacing the TIPM cured my fan not working on high.

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just replaced the resistor. The fan now works on high and it works in the designated locations for each speed but you have to turn the knob slow or it cuts off. Then you start from you have to start from off and work your way up slowly again. I did this 2-3 times causing it to cut of and it wouldn't reset by putting bqck in off and going through the speeds, I had to turn the ignition off and the cycle it back on to appewrntly reset something and it worked again. It's acting as if there is a breaker some where that is tripping or a relay that can hold the power and as it reaches max output it trips. From what I understand there is no breaker or relay and the resistor receives full power at all times but limits how much can go to the blower motor by restricting the power output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode