2014 JKU Headlights, Wipers & Blinkers: Possessed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sirjeepalot
  • 1 Post By signalfreq

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

2014 JKU Headlights, Wipers & Blinkers: Possessed

I know, I know - it's my first post and I'm already asking for something. Please forgive me. I've searched the forums and found similar issues, but nothing that really describes my problem exactly. I'm hoping that someone here can help me out with this. . .

The Problem & My Rationale

My headlights are turning off and on by themselves. This is also occurring with my wipers and blinkers. It all happens at the same time - most of the time, it's only my headlights that freak out, while other times it's the headlights together with the wipers and blinkers. When it happens, my interior panel lights dim and return to normal.

It happens sporadically - even when I'm just sitting in the driveway with the motor running. I have noticed that it occurs more frequently when I'm driving, however. Interestingly, I've also noticed that it happens in the same places on the road that I'm driving on to get to my house, even when I'm driving very slowly. I feel the urge to say that it happens when I hit bumps, but that's simply not true. I've gone over bumps without it happening, and on flat pavement with it happening. There's just no difference where I am, how fast I'm driving, or how rough or smooth the road is.

I'm a satellite tech, and this kind of a problem screams "loose or dirty connection". How I would love to know where on the wiring harness I could find a connector that just happens to connect the headlights, wipers and blinkers.

What I've Done So Far

The first place I went to was the TIPM - I've blown out the connections underneath it with compressed air, and used dielectric grease to ensure a good connection. I've even disassembled the TIPM itself, and blew air under the circuit board relays. No dice.

I've tightened grounding points - two on the driver side kick wall, two on the passenger side, the one behind the passenger side headlight, the one next to the TIPM, and two on the driver side of the engine compartment. If this sounds like I missed one somewhere, please let me know - those are the only ones I could find.

I've checked the connection to the battery, and even replaced the terminal connectors. Next to the battery is some kind of a connector in the wiring harness; I've blown it out and put in some dielectric grease as well. The same for the connector under the heat shield (can you sense the desperation?).

Behind the passenger side headlight, there are several wiring harness connectors - all of which I've blown out and put in dielectric grease. On a side note, these problems began after I replaced a burnt out headlight on the passenger side, so to me, this was the most interesting place to investigate the problem, but alas, no dice. Everything is good to go there, short of pulling out the entire harness and doing continuity checks with a multi-meter.

I'm at a loss here, guys. Unless one of you has some insight already to this, my next move is to pull the dash out, and look back in there. God how I miss my YJ sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Rock God

The JK is very sensitive to ground connections. Verify the ground from the firewall to the engine by the battery as well as over by the alternator.

I would go back to before this was happening and remove the passenger headlight bulb (or just unplug). Slim but there is always a chance you might have a shorted bulb.

Oh, and welcome to JKO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #3 of 9 Old 04-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Wheeler

I bet the TIPM is bad. I just had mine replaced in March, second one on the Jeep and its only a 2012. The first was in June of 16. Its not just the connections that can be a problem, but the internals too.

Google "Signs of a bad TIPM" and the second down should be from JK-F (yea i know, they suck) but that guy had similar issues. You probably wont find someone with the exact same problems as you since the TIPM controls so many things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
The JK is very sensitive to ground connections. Verify the ground from the firewall to the engine by the battery as well as over by the alternator.

I would go back to before this was happening and remove the passenger headlight bulb (or just unplug). Slim but there is always a chance you might have a shorted bulb.

Oh, and welcome to JKO!

Roger that, thanks - I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG59 View Post
I bet the TIPM is bad. I just had mine replaced in March, second one on the Jeep and its only a 2012. The first was in June of 16. Its not just the connections that can be a problem, but the internals too.

Google "Signs of a bad TIPM" and the second down should be from JK-F (yea i know, they suck) but that guy had similar issues. You probably wont find someone with the exact same problems as you since the TIPM controls so many things.

There's a nagging voice in my head that has been saying something similar, but I'm not ready to raise the white flag and buy a new TIPM just yet. I'm fairly defiant - I feel like rewiring the entire Jeep and bypassing the need for a TIPM before I give them another cent at this point!
post #5 of 9 Old 04-11-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so. . .

This morning, I decided to let the engine cool from driving this morning, and my plan was to put it on jack stands so that I can get underneath and find the other end of the motor grounding wire. While letting it cool, I found a connector that I had previous missed (I guess it was too obvious). I packed it with dielectric grease, took it for a test drive, and it seems to have solved the problem (although right now, it's still too early to tell).

That connector is located right next to the radiator cap. I can't believe I overlooked that one. And, it's within proximity to the passenger side headlight, which is when this all started. I feel good about it, but I'm going to drive it around for a week before confirming that the problem has been fixed.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Wheeler

Garage

This fucking TIPM shit needs to be circumvented!
Seriously, let computers do controlling and let FUSE BOXES take care of shorts & power spikes!!!!!!
This should not be this DIFICULT JEEP!!!!
Fuck!
signalfreq likes this.

DemocRATs aren't wrong.... Their just in the wrong country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S. Constitution: Article 4 Section IV
post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirjeepalot View Post
This fucking TIPM shit needs to be circumvented!
Seriously, let computers do controlling and let FUSE BOXES take care of shorts & power spikes!!!!!!
This should not be this DIFICULT JEEP!!!!
Fuck!

Yeah, and it appears that I spoke too soon. The problem went away for a short while, and now it's worse than it ever was. Each new connection that I find and fix/tighten which doesn't bring results, the more it looks like the TIPM. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket TIPM out there these days yet?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-08-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Fixed!

Okay guys. . . sorry to pull out a thread from months ago, but I've been battling this gremlin since April, and I finally figured it out.

It's in the steering column (yes, remove the cover by taking out the 3 screws underneath it). On the top, there are small yellow wires which seem to be serving as a jumper between the blinker and wiper switches. You may need to remove the switches first (I did) before attempting to disconnect the ends. I used a small jeweler flat head screwdriver to release the latch.

Pack the ends with dielectric grease and reassemble.

What a pain in the ass this was.
Banshee likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Rock God

Congrats on finally nailing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode