• 1 Post By Rattler
  • 1 Post By GetOut
  • 1 Post By AdrockTT
  • 1 Post By UnlimiDozer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

50 light bar - flood or hybrid?

I'm looking to add a 50-inch bar to the JKU. I've read a mess of posts and reviewed all of the light patterns on the Rigid website as well as watched a bunch of reviews on YouTube. Im struggling to pick a pattern.

I live in Colorado and wheel mostly during the day but drift into the night (guessing) about 15%. I wheel trails specifically about 5 times per year. I'm never in a situation where I'm driving high-speeds in the dark so distance is less important than a large wide field of view.

I'm not set on my lighting configuration/setup. I can fit up to a 20 on the front bumper, run pillars, and/or a 50 light rack. I have JW Speaker fog's and will be upgrading to The Speaker headlights soon.

I think the pictures and video's have a difficult time showing examples of the patterns. If anyone has personal experience with the flood (good or bad) I'd appreciate the feedback.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeeper02 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

So you only run about 5 trails a year and only drift into the night about 15% of the time? Save your money for something that is more useful.

If you need get the 20" light bar in flood and be done with it.
coilrod likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
So you only run about 5 trails a year and only drift into the night about 15% of the time? Save your money for something that is more useful.

If you need get the 20" light bar in flood and be done with it.

I'm in agreement with this one. Save the money for something more useful not to mention the noise a light bar makes. Throw some pods on the A pillar or a 20" bar on the bumper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-03-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here and I thought I really had a good reason to get lights.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

this won't be the most informative reply to your questions, sorry ahead of time but how on earth are you "never in a situation where I'm driving high-speeds in the dark..." and yet you somehow manager to "drift into the night" in a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?

You must have installed a CAI & a big wing on the back for generating enough down-force to Tokyo Drift that hulk. Mine won't go fast at all.

lilscorpion likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-04-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
this won't be the most informative reply to your questions, sorry ahead of time but how on earth are you "never in a situation where I'm driving high-speeds in the dark..." and yet you somehow manager to "drift into the night" in a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?

You must have installed a CAI & a big wing on the back for generating enough down-force to Tokyo Drift that hulk. Mine won't go fast at all.

Don't have to go fast to drift, you just need to turn off the traction control and turn into the slide while feathering the throttle. Duh.

post #7 of 18 Old 04-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Rock God

If you are doing JW headlihgts and have the fogs, I would go flood 1 pillars turned out to see the front/side of your jeep.

I personally think light bars on a vehicle are pointless. I live in Texas and most people I talk to say, well its for spot lighting. Well, with that being said how many times are the hog or coyote sitting right in front of your Jeep in perfect view with the light (never in my case). They are spending money just for aesthetics.
RUCKDOG likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #8 of 18 Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Wheeler

I tend to do quite a few night runs, and a pair of pods in spot pattern on my A-pillar are more than sufficient; and even at that, only ever turn them on for a long steep climbs. Hell, don't even think I've bothered to use them at all since putting trucklites in.

Not to mention that unless you're leading, any pod or bar is just going to annoy the shit out of any and everyone in front of you.
tapcola likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-05-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Not to mention that unless you're leading, any pod or bar is just going to annoy the shit out of any and everyone in front of you.

Interesting point. When I've been thinking about running night trails I'm always leading. In reality I think Ive rarely led because we go in groups (like at EJS). So now I'm thinking the need isn't what I thought it was.

What I really need is lighting that shows the obstacle in front of me really well. Headlights aren't enough (historically). Guess I need to figure out where I need more light in my field of view. Maybe a 20" and A's would be more than sufficient if aimed correctly.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-05-2017, 05:46 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscorpion View Post
Interesting point. When I've been thinking about running night trails I'm always leading. In reality I think Ive rarely led because we go in groups (like at EJS). So now I'm thinking the need isn't what I thought it was.

What I really need is lighting that shows the obstacle in front of me really well. Headlights aren't enough (historically). Guess I need to figure out where I need more light in my field of view. Maybe a 20" and A's would be more than sufficient if aimed correctly.

Find you a good set of rock lights. Should be more than enough light at the speeds you're talking about.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Get the jwspeakers first. Your perceived need for a bar might change. I have gen 1 jwspeakers which are vastly superior to stock, now my 2 driving lights only get used on those long 18 hr drives to remote work sites. (Usually not even then)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #12 of 18 Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I'm looking to add a 50-inch bar to the JKU. I've read a mess of posts and reviewed all of the light patterns on the Rigid website as well as watched a bunch of reviews on YouTube. Im struggling to pick a pattern.

I live in Colorado and wheel mostly during the day but drift into the night (guessing) about 15%. I wheel trails specifically about 5 times per year. I'm never in a situation where I'm driving high-speeds in the dark so distance is less important than a large wide field of view.

I'm not set on my lighting configuration/setup. I can fit up to a 20 on the front bumper, run pillars, and/or a 50 light rack. I have JW Speaker fog's and will be upgrading to The Speaker headlights soon.

I think the pictures and video's have a difficult time showing examples of the patterns. If anyone has personal experience with the flood (good or bad) I'd appreciate the feedback.

TIA

I would run the double pod setup on the pillars angled at varied degrees outward with the 20 inch combo beam up front. With the JW speaker heads and fogs you will have more than enough light. My current set up is obnoxiously bright, it consists of a 50" combo, LED heads and fogs, and some flood pattern pods angled slightly outward on the bumper. This however is extremely useful when the closest street light is miles from where you live and every road you drive on is a two lane highway with corn, wheat, or some other crop on either side. Something about this place makes all the Deer want to kill themselves... They are always just leaping out in front of you
Mephisto likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Granite Guru

Realizing no one answered your actual question (I have various lights for different situations) - I'd go for a hybrid over a flood on the 50" if you decide to go that route. I do agree - the 50" is prob unnecessary entirely (I still have one) and you cannot use that bad boy unless you're the lead Jeep/vehicle in a group for sure.
lilscorpion likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-07-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrockTT View Post
Realizing no one answered your actual question (I have various lights for different situations) - I'd go for a hybrid over a flood on the 50" if you decide to go that route. I do agree - the 50" is prob unnecessary entirely (I still have one) and you cannot use that bad boy unless you're the lead Jeep/vehicle in a group for sure.

Thank you.

post #15 of 18 Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOut View Post
I would run the double pod setup on the pillars angled at varied degrees outward with the 20 inch combo beam up front. With the JW speaker heads and fogs you will have more than enough light. My current set up is obnoxiously bright, it consists of a 50" combo, LED heads and fogs, and some flood pattern pods angled slightly outward on the bumper.
^^^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrockTT View Post
^^^This too.

I don't have all the light that GetOut has, but do have a 50" combo bar plus TruckLite LED headlights. The TruckLites are almost enough by themselves for almost any situation I find myself in from street to highway to trail to desert (I don't do high speeds either). The high beams can be a little too much on some highways where the signs have a lot of reflectivity. It's not cool when you get blinded by a sign. And the 50 is very rarely used, and only when I'm in front. It's bright. I think it's useful even on tight trails because of the flood section at each side, but again, it's limited.

One thing I like to do on a night run (when I'm not in front) is turn off the headlights and use only the fogs. That gets the light down low and doesn't blind the driver ahead of me. I'm pretty attentive to that because I wear glasses and after a day on the trail, there's enough dust on them that any light shining on the back side of the lenses makes it impossible to resolve detail. Anyone who wears glasses probably knows exactly what I'm talking about. So, since it bothers me so badly, I try not to do that to other people. It also eliminates the reflection of my own headlights off the back of the guy in front of me. I would like to upgrade the fogs to LEDs though, to get a brighter and whiter light. And the cubes on the windshield for side lighting are definitely on the list.
lilscorpion likes this.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #16 of 18 Old 04-08-2017, 06:38 AM

I'm have the same setup as @GetOut has on mine as well, 50" across the top, a pod on each a-pillar, with JDM ASTAR LED bulbs in the headlights and fogs, flush mounted some pods in the factory rear bumper for F-Off/Reverse lights, and just installed some cheap-o clearance lights the other week (picked em up at Tractor Supply).

I live in Florida and hit the closest trails as much as possible (Citrus/Withlacoochee WMA), if possible at least once a month after stopping by the Veterans Cemetery (Bushnell) to pay respects. I run the setup just because it's not always clear sunny skies over here, I've had to use my lights during night time hurricanes/tropical storms when you just couldn't see shit in front of you. I also volunteer on a horse farm and get there when it's dark as hell out, so I've had to use em there several times also. I think my total lumen output is something ridiculous like 50-60,000 lumens. Literally makes my CCTV cameras on the house go from night, to day mode when I turn everything on. It's humorous, but good grief, shits bright.

Semper Fidelis - Unus Supra
post #17 of 18 Old 04-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:

TIA

I only have one smaller light bar up front on my jeep but having used it for a bit now I can say if I was going for a full size 50(or is it 52inch) light bar up top I'd go with a flood pattern. Granted my light bar is a cheap one and its smaller but the light is bright even with the combo light pattern, mine don't go out too far and you can't really get away with running a 50inch bar up top on the road so with that said, you don't need too much light far ahead of you off road. I can drive in trails or offroad in the dark with just my light bar and the slow speeds means I can stop with plenty of room within the range of the light. I do find mine useful when I'm going around hilly or twisty back roads. With the wide circle spread of the light, it helps to see approaching turns, going down a hill approaching a dip in the road etc etc.

If I was going to run a full set up of lights on my jeep I'd run a flood pattern only or a combo up above the windshield, then some high quality spot lights on each side to help with long distance.

This is my Signature
post #18 of 18 Old 04-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I agree, change over to some JW or trucklites before going to a light bar or pods. I have 20W pods on my bumper and a 250W 50in on top of windshield. The lightbar is bright and will wash out any other lights you have. If you're only doing 5 trails a year upgrading your head lights would be more than sufficient for you i think.

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode