When Would You Consider A Dual Battery? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Question When Would You Consider A Dual Battery?

Evening all,

So, when you're battery starts to look like the power outlet next to the tree in "A Christmas Story" what's the best route to go?

Right now I have the following on one battery:

*Back-up lights
*IPF driving lights
*Bazooka subwoofer

Within the next 6 months I'm looking to add:

*Warn M8000
*2nd set of IPF driving lights

What's too much ...aka, what's NOT going to pass MD inspection? Would you go with a dual battery or sPOD (just started researching the sPOD)? Does the dual battery set-up necessarily negate the installation of a snorkel (not sure that I'm going that route, just curious)?

Barring seriously considering the sPOD, I'm looking at two yellow top Optimas and the Benchmark tray.

Anyway ...thanks in advance. Cheers.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just ordered a Benchmark stage III and I have the AEV snorkel. Should fit, I was just bitching in the other thread about having to remove the snorkel to take out the support tray for the battery install. Talk to s-pod when you are ready. I would be getting theirs if I wasn't able to make my own...

It's always nice to have the wires organized so you can troubleshoot easier. Don't forget the jeep is 95% electronics now. (other 5% is errors and scratched wet interior)

Check my garage to see my lights... 6 forward and 3 reverse (8 at 55w and one at 100w)
I call my 100w light the asshole one, because it is directed to the face of a driver 25 feet behind me...

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As far as my understanding, all your lights/accessories would be good to run to the Spod. Installation is easy and have no excess wiring running into the cab, and don't tap to the kraken (canbus). It's independent.

The benchmark/smarty isolator kit is another independent system that doesn't tap to OE. With this you can run the AEV snorkel with no problems.

Another option is 12voltguy switch panels. Check'm out.

All in all - any of these systems, you'll be satisfied. It's just a matter of preference and how deep your wallet is.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The sPOD is the way to go. It is just 2 wires to your battery (+/-). Then get the Low Voltage protector that sPOD offers. If your batery gets low (11v) it kills all the accesories on those switches. I know this system is not cheap, but unless you plan on running a fridge for days without starting your car and you need that extra battery storage, I think this is more economical and safer in the wiring realm (not knocking your wiring skills) to get a low voltage cut-off. I have run lots of accessories (laptop, winch, 6 lights) in rigs in the past and never had a dual battery, just a low voltage cutoff.

Compare an sPOD w/LVCO system to a complete dual battery w/tray and I think you will see a very close similarity. Both would be nice, but getting your wiring right with an spod will save a lot of hassle in the future as you add accessories!

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocKy View Post
The sPOD is the way to go. It is just 2 wires to your battery (+/-). Then get the Low Voltage protector that sPOD offers. If your batery gets low (11v) it kills all the accesories on those switches. I know this system is not cheap, but unless you plan on running a fridge for days without starting your car and you need that extra battery storage, I think this is more economical and safer in the wiring realm (not knocking your wiring skills) to get a low voltage cut-off. I have run lots of accessories (laptop, winch, 6 lights) in rigs in the past and never had a dual battery, just a low voltage cutoff.

Compare an sPOD w/LVCO system to a complete dual battery w/tray and I think you will see a very close similarity. Both would be nice, but getting your wiring right with an spod will save a lot of hassle in the future as you add accessories!
LOL ...please feel free to knock my wiring skills. I grew up with Jeeps and Scouts, but this is my first build ...so I'm learning as I go. I'm fine with spending good money on a product if it's the best way to go, and the more I read about the sPOD, the more I'm leaning towards it. It'll be my next big purchase after recovering from my upcoming Winch purchase.

Thanks all ...

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Spod is definitely a necessity for trouble free wiring. I say save/spend the extra bonez for it, never look back.

Or even 12voltguy one if you really want a custom switch panel to YOUR specs.

I see you situation as a win win. Thats my opinion. The only hold up is time.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
LOL ...please feel free to knock my wiring skills. I grew up with Jeeps and Scouts, but this is my first build ...so I'm learning as I go. I'm fine with spending good money on a product if it's the best way to go, and the more I read about the sPOD, the more I'm leaning towards it. It'll be my next big purchase after recovering from my upcoming Winch purchase.

Thanks all ...

The sPOD is the way to go, especially if you question your wiring skills. It's VERY well designed and keeps your accessories separate from the rest of the system and away from all the control modules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode