moved from ORO Taillights to "red" Truck-Lite taillights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

moved from ORO Taillights to "red" Truck-Lite taillights

Back on August 3, I got pulled over by a CHP officer for Vehicle Code violation 26101 because my ORO Taillights illegal, per the officer stating, "Black taillights prohibited." Now, my arraignment date is not for some time still, and obviously I will be setting this matter for trial ('cuz that's what I do), so I don't yet know exactly what the fine will be (oh, of course the "fine" officer marked it as an uncorrectable violation (infraction)).

So, since I had another set of Truck-Lite LED taillights sitting around the garage that I had purchased from Poison Spyder some time ago, I thought I would go ahead and modify my River Raider Crusher Corners to accept these new, "red" and brighter LED taillights.

Below: Picture of what the Jeep & ORO taillights look like during the day (without illumination). As you can tell, the taillights are very difficult to see during the day (thus there are no "reflective" markers at the ends of my Jeep).

Below:The RR Crusher Corners come pre-drilled for ORO lights (which means there are only four (4) small holes in the metal. The new Truck-Lite LED lights needed a 4.5" hole to sit flush in the space provided. Thus, I had to acquire a 4.5" hole saw, and proceed to cut yet another very large hole into my Jeep. [That is my newest helper, 6-month old Tripp in the foreground]

Below: After cutting out the hole, splicing the wiring (again), and shaving down the outside rim of the Truck-Lite taillights, I was able to fit in the new "red" taillight.

Below: Here is the new taillight illuminated.

Below: The Driver-side (left) still has the ORO Taillight (notice the missing LEDs? I wasn't really happy that this was starting to happen, especially at the price ORO lights costs; really another reason I decided to switch.). Passenger-side (right) is the new Truck-Lite LED taillight.

Below: And here is what both of the new taillights look like during the day--far more visible than the ORO brand.

I'm making some modifications to my rear bumper, that's why it is not on -- for you wise-asses, the bumper did NOT need to be removed to change taillights.

Your Southern California wheelin' Attorney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 04:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That looks nice with the new trucklights, oh and good luck with your court date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LOYR View Post
[That is my newest helper, 6-month old Tripp in the foreground]
He already looks confident in his job

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 04:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The ORO lights are notorius for burning out slowly. For the price i have always stayed away from them. Youll be much happier with the truck lite ones

www.jeepasylum.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Garage

I like the red ones better anyhow.. though I do get the criticism sometimes that I should have used the black ORO lights.. I think the red sets off well and looks better... not to mention they are bright as hell.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

i like the truck lites much better to be honest. i have both red and clear lenses... running the clear lenses currently. definitely bright as hell!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #6 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the clear and they are bright as hell. But did did he mention anything about reflective markers at the rear sides of the jeep. I know we have removed these when we deleted the stock tail lights. I am wondering if you will still get hell about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
post #7 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I like the Truck-Lite red one better as well. Although, now I HAVE to rely on my rear back-up lights that are mounted in my Schrockworks bumper (the ones that every time I smash down on a rock busts the filament in the bulbs. )

post #8 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
I like the Truck-Lite red one better as well. Although, now I HAVE to rely on my rear back-up lights that are mounted in my Schrockworks bumper (the ones that every time I smash down on a rock busts the filament in the bulbs. )

What are these "back-up lights" you speak of....?

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #9 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Openly Hostile

I like those better myself. I don't understand why the officer didn't write it up as a cheap fix-it ticket. Pretty dick move.

Jason
post #10 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sorry about the hassle from the po-po...

post #11 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:

here's an option...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29642

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #12 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
What are these "back-up lights" you speak of....?

These:

I am looking for a better replacement light - I have one that is not working (filament) and it is a royal fuggin pain in the ass to get to from the back. Next time I drop the bumper to fix the lights I would rather put something in that will hold up to a little more abuse.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I am looking for a better replacement light - I have one that is not working (filament) and it is a royal fuggin pain in the ass to get to from the back. Next time I drop the bumper to fix the lights I would rather put something in that will hold up to a little more abuse.
No kidding. That's a big reason that my bumper is off right now. I complained to Schrockworks about the lack of access to the lights, have not heard back from them. The filaments bust far too easily.

I'm thinking about welding the nut to the light housing bracket, then drill an access hole in the bottom of the bumper, then I should be able to get a bolt through the hole to the nut on the housing. I'm hoping this will allow me to pull the lights through the exposed side of the bumper, change the bulbs, and put the lights back WITHOUT REMOVING THE WHOLE STINKIN' BUMPER.

post #14 of 24 Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Now remember, don't use too much bondo on your bumper before you line-x it, just a lite skim coat

JKUS Sort of
post #15 of 24 Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Openly Hostile

You have to take the bumper off to change a light? Wow.

Jason
post #16 of 24 Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR LIKA View Post
Now remember, don't use too much bondo on your bumper before you line-x it, just a lite skim coat
Ha ha ha. You sir, are a funny guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
You have to take the bumper off to change a light? Wow.
So far that is the only way I have been able to figure out how to get access to the light housing. Not the best design in the whole world.

post #17 of 24 Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am glad that you posted this, the RROR corners are on my radar and I was a bit up in the air on what lights to go with. I don't plan on spending that much money just to have the LEDs start to go out that soon. The trucker lights look just fine.

TerraH - how are yours holding up? It's been a year or so.

On a side note - we need to find a replacement light for the Shrock bumper.... I measured for a set of two (each) of the Vision X solos but two won't fit and one would look funny all by itself... sure would be nice to find an LED light that would fill the hole.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Rock God

Hmm, this is a major bummer. Anyone know if these lights are illegal in NJ? I have the RROR partial corners and the ORO lights sitting in my garage waiting for install.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #19 of 24 Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Granite Guru

it used to state in thre Q-tec catalogue the the ORO lights are not street legal, maybe thats why they're called Off Road Only

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #20 of 24 Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Update on Court Trial for violation of VC 26101

On November 30, 2010, I appeared for my Traffic Bench Trial on the alleged Vehicle Code §26101 violation ("Blacked-out Taillights" -- running the ORO LiteDots). The citation was marked as "non-correctable" by the officer, which I thought was B.S.; but, after some research, I did find where back in 2008 this code section was deemed as a "non-correctable" violation.

Anyhow, I prepared for the Trial by (1) taking one of the actual ORO LiteDot taillights into Court with me as Exhibit "A"; (2) taking numerous photographs of the new, red, LED TrukStop taillights that are, indeed, DOT approved; (3) some of the photos were taken with the Nov. 29th newspaper's front-page; (4) the actual front-page (in case the Commissioner could not read the photos very well); and (5) a blank check and a good story.

Since the CHP Officer actually showed up in Court, I had to actually present somewhat of an argument. I decided to go with the plea of: Guilty with an explanation. The Commissioner granted me this request; thereupon I proceeded to tell my story as to why the ORO LiteDots were installed in the first place (because the hole configuration on the River Raider Crusher Corners only allows ORO LiteDots (without major modification)), then I showed pictures of the install process of the TrukStop Taillights, and the final product.

The Commissioner indulged me and listened to my preamble, viewed my five (5) 4"x6" color-glossy photos & one dusty taillight, and then the big stunning closing wherein I requested from the Court that this offense be "dismissed" as a "fix-it" ticket upon satisfactory proof that the violation (not alleged anymore because I had plead guilty) had indeed been corrected.

The Commissioner thought for a moment, then asked the CHP Officer to approach Counsel's table, and then, in all his wisdom, the Commissioner deferred to the Officer, "What do you think? Should I dismiss upon proof of correction?" The Officer, stunned by having the "final say" looked around briefly, avoiding eye-contact with me, looking again, for a second time at the five (5) 4"x6" color-glossy photos & one dusty taillight, finally stating, "Well, this is in compliance now ... if it actually looks like this."

Judgement: Dismissed. $25.00 fix-it dismissal fee.
Original fine: $181.00

The subject of Vehicle Code §26101 being "non-correctable" did not come up. Good lawyering sometimes is best when you do not open your mouth.

Quote:
V C Section 26101 -- Modification of Vehicle Equipment

26101. No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of Section 26104. This section does not apply to a taillamp or stop lamp in use on or prior to December 1, 1935, or to lamps installed on authorized emergency vehicles.

post #21 of 24 Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Rock God

LOL, congrats!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
On November 30, 2010, I appeared for my Traffic Bench Trial on the alleged Vehicle Code §26101 violation ("Blacked-out Taillights" -- running the ORO LiteDots). The citation was marked as "non-correctable" by the officer, which I thought was B.S.; but, after some research, I did find where back in 2008 this code section was deemed as a "non-correctable" violation.

Anyhow, I prepared for the Trial by (1) taking one of the actual ORO LiteDot taillights into Court with me as Exhibit "A"; (2) taking numerous photographs of the new, red, LED TrukStop taillights that are, indeed, DOT approved; (3) some of the photos were taken with the Nov. 29th newspaper's front-page; (4) the actual front-page (in case the Commissioner could not read the photos very well); and (5) a blank check and a good story.

Since the CHP Officer actually showed up in Court, I had to actually present somewhat of an argument. I decided to go with the plea of: Guilty with an explanation. The Commissioner granted me this request; thereupon I proceeded to tell my story as to why the ORO LiteDots were installed in the first place (because the hole configuration on the River Raider Crusher Corners only allows ORO LiteDots (without major modification)), then I showed pictures of the install process of the TrukStop Taillights, and the final product.

The Commissioner indulged me and listened to my preamble, viewed my five (5) 4"x6" color-glossy photos & one dusty taillight, and then the big stunning closing wherein I requested from the Court that this offense be "dismissed" as a "fix-it" ticket upon satisfactory proof that the violation (not alleged anymore because I had plead guilty) had indeed been corrected.

The Commissioner thought for a moment, then asked the CHP Officer to approach Counsel's table, and then, in all his wisdom, the Commissioner deferred to the Officer, "What do you think? Should I dismiss upon proof of correction?" The Officer, stunned by having the "final say" looked around briefly, avoiding eye-contact with me, looking again, for a second time at the five (5) 4"x6" color-glossy photos & one dusty taillight, finally stating, "Well, this is in compliance now ... if it actually looks like this."

Judgement: Dismissed. $25.00 fix-it dismissal fee.
Original fine: $181.00

The subject of Vehicle Code §26101 being "non-correctable" did not come up. Good lawyering sometimes is best when you do not open your mouth.
Hey TY

Once I get my ticket's here in Calif I will hire you on as my Team leader, nice job...
post #23 of 24 Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Rock God

I'm running the same. 10-led 4.5" stop/turn/signal lights from Wal-Mart for $15 a piece. Got a couple of 8-ohm resistors from Radio Shack for $4 and called it a day. If I break them or leds start going out, I won't feel bad that I spent $200 on lights. Got a 8"x2.5" oval clear 10-led white for a reverse light that I mounted in between the tailgate and bumper for $20 off eBay. $55 total for flush-mount lights...

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #24 of 24 Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Wheeler

PICS ?

I have some cheapy Walmart fogs wired for back up lights on a switch! Easy and inexpensive to replace.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Door
Treks Rear Shock Relocators
MOPAR Extended Rubicon Rock Rails
Expedition One Front Skid
Kilby Muffler Skid
Rockhard 4x4 Belly Skid & Evap Skid
Olympic Receiver Hitch Front Bumper
Tuffy Stereo Lock
Cobra 75 CB
Cooltech CB Antenna & Mount
Kilby Switch Panel
1500 Watt Power Inverter
Glow Lights Footwell Lights
OK Offroad Fuse Box
Front & Rear ARB Lockers
5.13 Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode