my fuse box - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

my fuse box

this is an odd question and I'm not sure that it is even a possibility. so bare with me...

after climbing into the drivers seat and BEFORE putting the key in the ignition I'm hearing a sound that is new to me and this 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

there's some slight clicking a little whirl and some clicking then nothing. it almost sounds like a DVD player or CD player sounds when it's firing up to play. kind of! that's the closest I can compare the sound to.

this sound starts up BeFoRe my keys are inserted in the ignition. so whatever it is, is using auxiliary power and is triggered by my sitting down.

it's not coming from the center column either. it's coming from behind the instrument panel, upper right corner. not that I've ever heard my instrument panel make a sound before but if it did it is just behind it, it's deeper inside the dashboard.

ive given thought to pulling the dashboard apart to sEe inside... but I think id still be confused about what I'd be seeing. on the dashboard, where the clips would be to release the dashboard has new tool marks. ( I KnOw.. whAT?!)

I have popped open the fuse box. again not sure what I'd be looking for. I thought I could compare to the picture on its lid for any major differences. everything seemed to be in order except for the marks that were drawn on a few of the relays with a blue marker. not all of them. only a few of them. marked by someone for a particular purpose or else they wouldn't be there. right?

maybe someone can take a look at the picture I'm sending.

without being up close and personal... does it look right? any modifications that may coincide with this sound in hearing?

last thing to add, I kept needing a jump start. I had all the electrical checked. everything to include the battery checked to be just fine. said the battery was nearing the last quarter if it's life but SHoULd nOt be behaving like that. this battery was a 5yr battery I'd put in August 2013. I didn't want to jump start it anymore and replaced it in January 2017. our winters are not that extreme this premature death seems odd to me and thought maybe that's another clue...

here's a pic of the fuse box. thanks all!
I'm at the base of pikes peak not on pikes peak. we have 'winter' here but it's not that extreme...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperchasing View Post
this is an odd question and I'm not sure that it is even a possibility. so bare with me...

after climbing into the drivers seat and BEFORE putting the key in the ignition I'm hearing a sound that is new to me and this 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

there's some slight clicking a little whirl and some clicking then nothing. it almost sounds like a DVD player or CD player sounds when it's firing up to play. kind of! that's the closest I can compare the sound to.

this sound starts up BeFoRe my keys are inserted in the ignition. so whatever it is, is using auxiliary power and is triggered by my sitting down.

it's not coming from the center column either. it's coming from behind the instrument panel, upper right corner. not that I've ever heard my instrument panel make a sound before but if it did it is just behind it, it's deeper inside the dashboard.

ive given thought to pulling the dashboard apart to sEe inside... but I think id still be confused about what I'd be seeing. on the dashboard, where the clips would be to release the dashboard has new tool marks. ( I KnOw.. whAT?!)

I have popped open the fuse box. again not sure what I'd be looking for. I thought I could compare to the picture on its lid for any major differences. everything seemed to be in order except for the marks that were drawn on a few of the relays with a blue marker. not all of them. only a few of them. marked by someone for a particular purpose or else they wouldn't be there. right?

without being up close and personal... does it look right? any modifications that may coincide with this sound in hearing?

last thing to add, I kept needing a jump start. I had all the electrical checked. everything to include the battery checked to be just fine. said the battery was nearing the last quarter if it's life but SHoULd nOt be behaving like that. this battery was a 5yr battery I'd put in August 2013. I didn't want to jump start it anymore and replaced it in January 2017. our winters are not that extreme this premature death seems odd to me and thought maybe that's another clue...

I'm at the base of pikes peak not on pikes peak. we have 'winter' here but it's not that extreme...
I didn't ask... can a fuse box be modified, if so does anything seem odd about mine?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 06:04 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
I didn't ask... can a fuse box be modified, if so does anything seem odd about mine?
Your fuse box looks stock to me. As for battery drain, do a parasitic draw test there is a good video on youtube on how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Do not think for a second because a battery did not last for 5 years it is a pre mature death. My 2014 Battery made it exactly 13 months. Was not covered by the factory bumper to bumper so I slapped an AGM in it and have had no issues with it. That if anything would be a premature death.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

your fusebox looks just like a stock one - unmodified- to me.
Also, last post about battery is not a bad sggtn. Stock battteries make strange things happen when they go bad and they can test good and still be bad ( AMHIK: I had a pos lead post with hairline crack that fooled me for a god while til I just replaced and it fixed everything; that had tested 'good' .

Lastly, about the noise.
Have some one else open the driver door and sit in it as you SIMULTANEOUSLY open the pssgr door at same time and quickly lower your head right in front of the "since 1941" handle logo above the glovebox; there is that bloody HVAC filter and screen with its baffel and door at back of the glovebox area that rises and lowers prior to entry and about 3-4 min after you close doors that can make the exact noise you describe. If you have your head and ears ready to lower and listen carefully as someone else opens the driver door you should be able to tell. Further, remove glovebox and make sure no pens or anything content wise is caught and rubbing as this action takes place behind the glovebox tray. Drove me bonkers for a while til I figured it out. Worth a shot unless you know it is the fusebox or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode