• 1 Post By keeponjeepinon
  • 1 Post By aqualungs
  • 1 Post By aqualungs
  • 1 Post By tapcola

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-01-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

KC Cyclone vs LUX Rock/Trail Lighting

Trying to decide between the two manufacturers. Also can't decide between white and amber. Will probably start off with 4 under the rocker panels, then add 4 later to the front and rear.

KC Cyclone 8 lights -$167 shipped.
I like KC's 23 year warranty and how they offer their wiring setup with quick connections included. I can make my own quick disconnect wiring harness underneath to efficiently link the lights around the perimeter of the frame, instead of running all the light wires to my Bussman, wiring and connecting together.

LUX 8 lights $188 plus shipping
Best part.. MAGNETS.. and strong ones. Need to buy all 8 up front to get better price. LUX lights I can still make the above wiring harness, I'll just need to cut up the existing wiring and crimp and heat shrink quick connects. Nice thing is I can make my wiring harness with their beautiful wiring that is all nice and insulated and wouldn't need to buy or use extra wiring for the most part. I just don't like their 3 year warranty compared to KC, but I Hear and on here have seen examples of great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-01-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My wiring plans

post #3 of 19 Old 03-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Rock God

I just installed 8 of the micro max and I must say theay are nice ! I didn't get the install kit just the lights and yes you can run the whole thing with there wire .
I went with white, I plan on getting a few more. The magnetic part is cool you can move them around till you find what you like .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
I just installed 8 of the micro max and I must say theay are nice ! I didn't get the install kit just the lights and yes you can run the whole thing with there wire .
I went with white, I plan on getting a few more. The magnetic part is cool you can move them around till you find what you like .

The magnet part is selling me lol. I just love KCs warranty, but I can't imagine these lasting 23 years.

post #5 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I put green Cyclones under my Jeep, the hole in the center makes them insanely easy to mount in the front. The 10mm bolts that hold the fender liner in fit them perfectly. For wiring, I soldered and heat shrunk my entire harness, and I used some small led bars from Oznium under the rockers. It's been like that for 2 years now, and they get used a lot. (They're also tripped on by opening the door)
Attached Images

tapcola likes this.

2013 Commando Green JK - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - 2001 Honda XR100R StockMoto Race Bike
Ohio Mini Roadracing League #201 - University of Akron Formula SAE - Zips Racing
post #6 of 19 Old 03-08-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponjeepinon View Post
I put green Cyclones under my Jeep, the hole in the center makes them insanely easy to mount in the front. The 10mm bolts that hold the fender liner in fit them perfectly. For wiring, I soldered and heat shrunk my entire harness, and I used some small led bars from Oznium under the rockers. It's been like that for 2 years now, and they get used a lot. (They're also tripped on by opening the door)

That looks great! I went with the LUX lights. The magnets sold me lol and I got a great price and discount from LUX. I'll post pics. I went with white. I hope I don't regret not going yellow lol.

tapcola likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
That looks great! I went with the LUX lights. The magnets sold me lol and I got a great price and discount from LUX. I'll post pics. I went with white. I hope I don't regret not going yellow lol.
Yeah magnets will make it super easy to find a place to mount them lol. Amber is a better color for rock lights than white, it doesn't destroy your night vision so much, so you don't blind your spotter after he moves away from your Jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ohio Mini Roadracing League #201 - University of Akron Formula SAE - Zips Racing
post #8 of 19 Old 03-08-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponjeepinon View Post
Yeah magnets will make it super easy to find a place to mount them lol. Amber is a better color for rock lights than white, it doesn't destroy your night vision so much, so you don't blind your spotter after he moves away from your Jeep.

Yea shoulda went with gut instinct. Yellow on black would have looked sharp, too.

post #9 of 19 Old 03-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Yea shoulda went with gut instinct. Yellow on black would have looked sharp, too.

Yeah, white will look good too, just don't stare at it too long when you're night wheeling lol

post #10 of 19 Old 03-08-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Lol

post #11 of 19 Old 03-09-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got my rock lights today. Having a little buyers remorse. I want the yellow and 8 now.. Buy once cry once... . So I'm going to sleep on it and call LUX tomorrow. I'll order the 8 yellow and then ship these back. It's going to be in the 20s.. so my spring fever was killed dead in its tracks and I won't be anxious to do an install.
I think yellow will be better for my tired eyes on backroads and trails. I also think they will be awesome on snowy backroads versus the white. My Allegheny And Buffalo trips home will be easier and more enjoyable as will playing in the snow.

post #12 of 19 Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
I think yellow will be better for my tired eyes on backroads and trails. I also think they will be awesome on snowy backroads versus the white. My Allegheny And Buffalo trips home will be easier and more enjoyable as will playing in the snow.
Nice. You live up there? My grandpa has hunting property in Scio and he lives in Buffalo lol

post #13 of 19 Old 03-09-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yea I'm from there. My mom lives In Arcade. I was born in West Seneca. Nice land up there!

keeponjeepinon likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-10-2017, 07:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Hope you have better luck with those than I had with the ORO Lites I'm using on my wife's ram puddle lights when you open the doors. I've had the casing they mold everything into yellow on a two of the lights along with the magnets rusting out. I'm contemplating around two which will either be the Rigid's or the cheap knock offs.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Hope you have better luck with those than I had with the ORO Lites I'm using on my wife's ram puddle lights when you open the doors. I've had the casing they mold everything into yellow on a two of the lights along with the magnets rusting out. I'm contemplating around two which will either be the Rigid's or the cheap knock offs.

I've haven't heard of ORO. I haven't heard Any issues like that with LUX

post #16 of 19 Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

We live in the Chicago area so when the white stuff hits the ground the lay the salt down heavy and say hello rust. If you don't live in an area where they put salt down then you should be good.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Installed the 8 yellow lux. I ran them in the frame rails. The driver rear side gave me some issue. I used a light baling wire and ran kite string up to right behind the front tire. With that I pulled through the LUX wires. My back is sore. Lol. I'll take better pics after I recover.

post #18 of 19 Old 03-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Rock God

I pretty much did the same thing .

aqualungs likes this.

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #19 of 19 Old 03-25-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Didn't have to do much repositioning. Zip tied the ones in the rear due the exhaust. Just encase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in