2017 LED Headlight Install (and concerns) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

2017 LED Headlight Install (and concerns)

1st Jeep 2015 JKU Sport, had it a few months now. Factory headlights are some of the worst I've had the misfortune of owning. Suffered through summer researching various options, and was going to do a non-dot dual HID set up. Saw the 2017 OEM LEDs and liked what I saw, but the price is ridiculous. Did some digging and managed to pick up a set for $525, which is in line with the JWS. The decision point was the perceived lack of high beam functionality on the JWS. I do not plan on adding additional lights, unless absolutely necessary. (I though light bars were a bad fad, until I drove my Jeep at night!)

I think I've had the hood up on the Jeep once since I bought it. So this was the first time removing the grill for me. Complete install time was about 20 min.

Tools

Standard screwdriver
T15 Torx

I followed one of the many youtube videos on grill removal and the Quadratec video on installing the 2017 OEM LEDs.

NOTE: The factory buckets took a considerable amount of force to remove.
I used a shop rag as a pad for my delicate lady hands. A pair of gloves would work as well. I escalated the force from rocking the Jeep, up to a "screw it, it's getting replaced anyway" break stuff amount. Shockingly none of the locking tabs broke despite my best effort.

Stuff went a little sideways here.

NOTE: The upper locking tab on the headlight aiming screw broke off during install. (insert colorful cursing)

It was aligned properly, and I don't feel I used any excessive force to get it to seat. Cold may be a factor, but I don't think so. (Mid teens). Annoying to say the least. The security or operation does not seem to be affected, but time will tell. The second installed cleanly.

Crappy pic, but no comparison in brightness. At 10' the LED showed clearly on the back wall of my garage, and the dirty factory bulb was not visible at all.

At first glance the aiming of the passenger (second) seems to off quite a bit towards center. I will go back and ensure all three attachment points are fully locked in place before I attempt to aim it.

Follow up with correction:
These lights DO NOT FLICKER. No harness, or flash required. I tested these originally with the engine off, and they do flicker. It's not a constant flicker, it's possible it did with the original lights as well.

Note: I purchased the lights through Quadratec using their price matching feature. Google will turn up these lights for close to the dealer cost (my educated guess) of about $250ea. Stock is very hit or miss right now.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Vince

Driving impression: Outstanding! Throw is excellent, pattern is great. My favorite feature has to be the spill on the right side. It illuminates the shoulder extremely well. A great feature in a area dense with wildlife.

Last edited by serevince; 01-04-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Incorrect info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Can the dealer program for the led? I mean they come as a factory option so is there a non-pulse width modulation option that is dealer programmable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #3 of 3 Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Can the dealer program for the led? I mean they come as a factory option so is there a non-pulse width modulation option that is dealer programmable?
I was wrong these lights do NOT flicker. No harness or flash required. I updated my original post. In my haste during the install I just flipped the lights on without starting the engine. With the engine off, there is an intermittent flicker. It's very possible the original bulbs flickered under the same circumstances and I never noticed. I did not notice any flicker when I exit the vehicle or unlocked the doors. Just in accessory mode. I'm guessing the stereo or something is causing a voltage drop.

Driving impressions: I was able to hit a mix of light city traffic, well lit streets, and dark back roads and I am very impressed. The throw is excellent and the upper cutoff is a distinct line. I'd say I'm most pleased with the side spill. It's very clear that these are side specific. The passenger side does an amazing job of illuminating the shoulder. This is a great feature when you live in a wildlife dense area. The driver side has a nice spill to the side, but it's a marked difference in intensity.

TLDR: Do it, excellent safety improvement. No harness or flash required. 20 min install (or less).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode