Speakers ??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Speakers ???

Can anyone recommend some good speakers to put in the jeep. The factory ones sound like crap ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Replaced all mine with Alpine s series speakers for the front...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...7d2c9ecb23en02

and these one's for the rear...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...b8c6aba9c6en02

This amp for the speakers...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...416444c236en02

This Sub...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...78320f2453en02

This amp for the sub...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...pine1channe-en

This Head unit...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...pinemp3wmac-en

This set up totally kick ass, sound great, clean, clear and pounds hard.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Replaced all mine with Alpine s series speakers for the front... $ 150
and these one's for the rear... $ 200
This amp for the speakers... $300
This Sub... $ 150
This amp for the sub... $ 250
This Head unit... $ 400
This set up totally kicks ass (at a MERE $1450), sounds great, clean, clear and pounds hard. (A, he said "pounds hard," and B, for $1500 worth of gear in the 45 cubic feet of space, it oughtta POUND HARD)
hmmm...

08 Detonator Yellow JKU sold 04MAR2013
-Patriot, Vet, Christian, Son, Brother, Father, Husband, Friend, blue collar Irish guy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Granite Guru

seriously...

seriously, if you wanna dump $1500 into your sound, go ahead... But for $60 a pair (or a whopping $120 for all four speakers) you can get these:

http://www.allusasupercenter.com/Pro...tCode=77KICK10

So, if you have the infinity system, these are a sharp upgrade. Enjoy!

-Patriot, Vet, Christian, Son, Brother, Father, Husband, Friend, blue collar Irish guy-
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I do not have the infinity system i have the basic 4 speaker system. The link does not work.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

In my previous JK I replaced all four speakers with some Infinity speakers from Crutchfield. I will say that the sound was better but the volume was way low.

When I do the work again I will add an amp to get some more volume to the speakers which is my recommendation. If you replace the stock speakers you will need an amplifier as well other wise you will have to crank up the volume a lot more.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Granite Guru

revisited link. sorry I didn't check proir to posting.

Try this : http://www.allusasupercenter.com/77K...p/77kick10.htm

latest price is $65/pr. Shipping is ~ $16. Total out $146

hope this helps

post #8 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Rock God

The speakers aren't the problem, they're actually very nice units. The problem is a lack of power and poorly designed enclosures. For $50 you can apply two layers of Dynamat Extreme to the front pods and I GUARANTEE you will hear a difference. Even if you get new units you'll want to deaden the enclosures so you might as well do it before hand and determine if you need new speakers.

You're also going to want to EQ your head unit properly to determine if the speakers are the problem or if it's a lack of power. Start your Bass, Mid and Treble at "0" and adjust to the negative. If the music sounds too bright then turn down the setting. Your settings should never go above "0" if you want the best chance to reduce distortion.

If you adjust your EQ in this fashion and you find yourself turning up the volume past 28 then a lack of power is the problem. The reason is because once you get up into that volume range then everything you're hearing is distorted and it won't matter how expensive your speakers are, they're going to sound like ass. Additionally, the higher you turn up each EQ setting the lower the distortion ceiling becomes. So, as a result, one will hear distortion at much lower volumes then if the EQ was maxed out at "0" or less. This distortion is what people believe is caused by poor speakers when in fact it's caused by poorly adjusted EQ settings and a lack of power.

A lack of power causes the listener to turn the volume up higher. This, in addition to maxed out EQ settings, causes terrible distortion which the listener attributes to the speakers. IT IS NOT the speakers, it's a lack of power, poorly EQ'd settings and the listener's tendency to turn the volume up all the way.

If I could recommend a stereo upgrade procedure I would upgrade in the following order:
  1. Deaden the speaker pods with at least two layers of Dynamat Extreme. This includes the sound bar.
  2. Install a quality 4 channel amp to push your front and sound bar speakers. Something in the range of 75 watts RMS should do just fine.
  3. Install a sub woofer and amp for the low end. A 10" woofer with a minimum of 150 watts RMS should work.

After the above is completed...
  1. EQ your deck appropriately. Start at "0" for each setting and adjust to the negative; do not go above "0". If the music sounds too bright do not turn UP the bass, instead, turn down the treble. If you find yourself wanting more bass then what your system is producing at "0" then you need a sub woofer.

After the above is completed...
  1. If you still think you need new speakers then go with a brand that is designed for a sealed enclosure. After market speakers that are designed for open air applications will sound like ass when mounted in the sealed JK enclosures.

Good luck.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #9 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post

Deaden the speaker pods with at least two layers of Dynamat Extreme. This includes the sound bar.
Ya got pics of how you Dynamat'd your pods?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Ya got pics of how you Dynamat'd your pods?
Sorry... no pix but it isn't that complicated of a job. In fact, the hardest part is removing the pod from the dash.

Basically, I purchased a Dynamat Extreme door kit from Car Toys. This kit came with 4 sq ft of deadening material. Once I removed the pods I just applied the material to the outside of the speaker pod. Don't worry about making it perfect, just cut appropriate sized strips and overlap every layer by at least 1/4". I just did this until I covered the pod in two layers.

Keep in mind that certain areas of the pod will require several small strips while the larger side panels can be covered in one big piece. Just make sure you over lap each strip and you'll be fine. Additionally, I used a plastic burnisher to press the material onto the pod. If you don't have a burnisher then a wooden spoon will do. Just lay down a piece of material and press/rub it with the burnisher or spoon. It's that simple.

When completed you will notice that the hollow sound the pod made when knocked on is now a dull, resonant free thud. This is what you're going after, a dull, echo/resonance free thud when knocked on.

Also, if you want to apply more material then go for it, it won't hurt anything at all.

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #11 of 12 Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
Sorry... no pix but it isn't that complicated of a job. In fact, the hardest part is removing the pod from the dash.

So how did you get the pod out of the dash... i guess I did the even harder way... putting new speakers with the pods installed... pissed me off on the first one... second only took half the time.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
So how did you get the pod out of the dash... i guess I did the even harder way... putting new speakers with the pods installed... pissed me off on the first one... second only took half the time.
When you remove the appropriate dash panels you will see the speaker pod in it's mounted location. The pod is secured to the dash frame by a few gold colored screws. I just removed these screws, unplugged the harness from the rear of the pod and slid it out with the speaker still installed.

The above is the abridged version. I know there is a thread on this board that shows a step by step process of removing the pods.

BARK AT THE MOON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode