LED Lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-21-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oside5ka Send a message via Yahoo to Oside5ka
LED Lights

Has anyone tried the cheap led replacement pods the ones thy are 60ish dollars how do they compair to the stock lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-08-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oside5ka View Post
Has anyone tried the cheap led replacement pods the ones thy are 60ish dollars how do they compair to the stock lights
Almost anything is better than the stock lights!

I have done a lot of reading about the Chinese knock-offs of the JW Speaker LED lights, and other brands, and results are quite variable. Some are dim or have haywire beam patterns. Almost all of them lie about lumins and watts. Some people like theirs, others are unhappy about performance and/or quality control issues (leaks, intermittent operation, failures, etc). Sometimes the light you receive doesn't look like the photos, or may be different than one you ordered a few weeks earlier. Trying to deal with a warranty issue may fail. Seems to be kind of a "luck-of-the-draw" thing.

About a year ago I owned some TruckLites, and I never did like them. They were not that bright, the low beams were weak, and the pattern was screwy. After a few months the low beams got so dim that you couldn't tell if they were on or off at night (I think my cell phone screen puts out more light).

Recently I was running Cibie housings with halogen H4 bulbs. Currently I am trying a pair of LED bulbs in the Cibies, which are OK but not perfect. I think I am going to save up my pennies and buy a set of JW Speaker Evo II pods - lots of good reviews, made in America, lifetime warranty. Buy them from a good place like Quadratec and customer service is top notch. Expensive, but I think probably the way to go.

I should also mention that I have a homemade headlight wiring harness which powers my headlights directly from the battery (relay switched, with the original headlight wiring providing the trigger for the relays). This removes the need for Anti-Flicker devices.

I also replaced my fog lights with JW Speaker clones, and I like them a lot. About $44 on Amazon.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2017, 05:44 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Are you talking headlights or pods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Granite Guru

Always remember that cheap LED lights are a hit and miss.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have considered lots of choices. I decided to go with Hella H4 conversions. I got the lights from Qtech, and a direct feed harness from Rally lights. The led seems brighter but also has a lot of refraction and are poorly focused. All together it was just a little over $230.

One of the main reasons I went this route was a guy I met in person put in LED headlights that were both expensive and disappointing. He took them out and put H4's in. His recommendation was what I followed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode