Weird Electrical Problems - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Weird Electrical Problems

Hey JKO,
about 2 weeks ago, when I started my 2008 wrangler, the seatbelt light wouldn't go off even when buckled. Also, the dome lights and none of the rear lights would work. It went away after about a minute of driving but now it keeps re-occuring randomly. The seatbelt light will sometimes go off but it will illuminate when I use the turn signal switch, hit the brakes, and it will stay on if my headlights are on. The dome light and rear lights will sometimes work and come on extremely faint when they do. However this problem occurs randomly. Sometimes my jeep will start and everything works or it will start working after driving for a little while. My alternator went out about 10 days ago so I don't know if that could have done something? I went on a trip and left my jeep for a week and the problem went away for almost 3 days but now it is back. Does anyone know what could be causing this?! trying to get it fixed quickly so I can safely drive! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo View Post
Hey JKO,
about 2 weeks ago, when I started my 2008 wrangler, the seatbelt light wouldn't go off even when buckled. Also, the dome lights and none of the rear lights would work. It went away after about a minute of driving but now it keeps re-occuring randomly. The seatbelt light will sometimes go off but it will illuminate when I use the turn signal switch, hit the brakes, and it will stay on if my headlights are on. The dome light and rear lights will sometimes work and come on extremely faint when they do. However this problem occurs randomly. Sometimes my jeep will start and everything works or it will start working after driving for a little while. My alternator went out about 10 days ago so I don't know if that could have done something? I went on a trip and left my jeep for a week and the problem went away for almost 3 days but now it is back. Does anyone know what could be causing this?! trying to get it fixed quickly so I can safely drive! Thanks!

original battery? You have either some ground not sufficient or your battery is going south as-they can do with cold weather arriving. If neither of those, it is possible that a 'new' alternator can actually be bad. Likewise, the cold weather can make a newly installed serpentine belt that is just barely taught enough loose enough to slip and not charge battery. These are things to check because it sounds like you are not grounded or the battery just isn't maintaining a full charge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

original battery? You have either some ground not sufficient or your battery is going south as-they can do with cold weather arriving. If neither of those, it is possible that a 'new' alternator can actually be bad. Likewise, the cold weather can make a newly installed serpentine belt that is just barely taught enough loose enough to slip and not charge battery. These are things to check because it sounds like you are not grounded or the battery just isn't maintaining a full charge.
The battery is a year old and it tested good a week ago. And the new alternator is definitely good, getting 14.4 volts easy. And I don't know that I'm in "cold" weather here in Texas. Recently moved to Texas and its only been below 40 at night a few times so far so it ain't too cold. Also, I'm not too sure it could be the ground either because the lights won't work when I get home and shut it off but then they work when it starts up again without moving so the ground couldn't have gotten "jostled." Additionally, I don't know that it could be a ground because I would figure the rear lights would have a separate ground than my seat belt light and my brake switch and turn signal switch right?

At this point I'm leaning towards it being a problem with the pcm or some other computer somehow but I just really don't want to have to take it into the dealer. I checked and I'm not throwing any codes but still.

Additionally, one time I was able to disconnect the battery and that reset the lights and they worked again for awhile. This would lead me to believe it wouldn't be a ground if my thinking is correct. Anyone else have any problems even remotely similar??

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

only other thing I've seen cause wonkiness like that is a bad connector for a bulb . I guess all your lights and signal indicators are functional . And , strangely , the JK has a right and left circuit in rear that does have the rear turn indicators grounded with each respective side's tail, I think. I have to mess with electric stuff by chasing wires. Sorry my suggestions leave you with nada. Maybe check rear turns . Liquid wouldn't cause this behavior. (Edit: by "liquid" I meant rain or spills , not really in the light or anything )Hmmm .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Checked pretty much every ground I could find. Looked under the dash on both sides and pulled the driver side side panel to check wires...nothin. I don't know where else to look or where any other grounds are. Am I missing any grounds to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode