Fog Lamp Recommendations - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By RubiCajun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-29-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Fog Lamp Recommendations

I searched "fog" and got 364 threads so pardon if I'm asking a repeat question. Looking for your good or bad experience on fog light upgrade. Considering PIAA 05330 LED's, but have never actually seen them lit-up.

Second question, what's your opinion on white vs amber color beam?

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Daniel Stern has some science and links to research that back it up.
Seems to say there appears to be less glare with yellow only because our eyes don't see blue sharply.
There is no difference in penetration or scattering with either color because the particles are larger than the wavelength...or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #3 of 22 Old 11-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Seems to say there appears to be less glare with yellow only because our eyes don't see blue sharply.
There is no difference in penetration or scattering with either color because the particles are larger than the wavelength...or something.
Very interesting.

Maybe I will try the Gold paint on my Quadratec LED fog lamps. I tend to break fogs for some reason. These have been very good for my use

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-29-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Now this is what I call an answewr!! Thanks for sharing, coilrod.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

post #5 of 22 Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 PM
Wheeler

Haven't had the opportunity to really use them yet but have been happy with the amount of light my lights from Baja Designs throw out. Great customer service and the kits came with everything needed to install.

In the "fog pockets" with amber lenses
https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products...Pocket-Kit.asp

Mounted to the bumper
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...iary-Light.asp

2014 JKUR, manual, Metalcloak 3.5" lift, 35" MTR's on stock wheels, SPod, Baja Designs, VKS Pre-Runner rock sliders
post #6 of 22 Old 11-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

@rebltrubi

those are very nice BD lights you are running & a swank-looking bumper they are mounted on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-30-2016, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

rebeltrubi, nice lights. Thanks. Isn't that the Metalcloak modular front bumper you have? I just ordered the one I think you have w/ same winch guard.

post #8 of 22 Old 11-30-2016, 06:35 AM
Wheeler

@j3ff ery_j33p
Been happy with both companies. Thanks

@ratchettt
Yes sir. Been happy with their stuff, service has also been top notch. If you're running a winch make sure you order either their fairlead or the adaptor.

(I see both of y'all are in the great state of Tennessee. I hope you and yours are safe and sound)

2014 JKUR, manual, Metalcloak 3.5" lift, 35" MTR's on stock wheels, SPod, Baja Designs, VKS Pre-Runner rock sliders
post #9 of 22 Old 11-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

@rebltrubi
That's considerate of you; I'm far to the West of the fires (and Nashville proper) .My family home is up in N.Georgia mnts and until they got rain a few days ago ,were in potentially serious trouble. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area is still parched and in serious danger .I flew home from business a few weeks back and had to come home via Atlanta and you could see fires all across the lower Appalachian foothills from S.Chattanooga northward. Scary stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-30-2016 at 08:09 AM.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-30-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebltrubi View Post
@j3ff ery_j33p

(I see both of y'all are in the great state of Tennessee. I hope you and yours are safe and sound)
A good friend's brother totally lost his high end restaurant in Gatlinberg. Two resorts and 100 plus structures a total loss so It is a disaster up there. I live south of Knoxville and last night a tornado ripped through Polk County 10 mi east of me killing 3-4 and demolishing buildings, so we are getting bad luck. Thanks for the comment.

On the lights I'm going amber based on the article posted here and sticking with PIAA based on Metalcloak selecting them to package with two of their bumpers. Thanks to everyone for your responses. I come to JKOWNERS forum as my default because of the good knowledge base and attitude of our members.

post #11 of 22 Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchettt View Post
A good friend's brother totally lost his high end restaurant in Gatlinberg. Two resorts and 100 plus structures a total loss so It is a disaster up there. I live south of Knoxville and last night a tornado ripped through Polk County 10 mi east of me killing 3-4 and demolishing buildings, so we are getting bad luck. Thanks for the comment.

On the lights I'm going amber based on the article posted here and sticking with PIAA based on Metalcloak selecting them to package with two of their bumpers. Thanks to everyone for your responses. I come to JKOWNERS forum as my default because of the good knowledge base and attitude of our members.

sorry to hear that about your friends brother; that area gets a lot of [email protected] but his is particularly seeming to be a bad end to a bad year. I am too busy with work this very moment to stop, but I did notice that the local Jeep group around Tennessee - search Facebook for " Jeeps and Wrenches - Main Page " - has been initiating a Gatlinburg Relief Help drive today..

Oh, on subject of what makes JKOwners the default forum for many of us, you left the most-important reason that comes-in just ahead of "..good knowledge and attitude of our members..." off your list @ratchettt

this place is the Jeep forum equivalent of bacon!

post #12 of 22 Old 11-30-2016, 03:17 PM

I'm running the KC amber fogs. So far I really like them. They are awesome in snow and fog.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-30-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchettt View Post
I searched "fog" and got 364 threads so pardon if I'm asking a repeat question. Looking for your good or bad experience on fog light upgrade. Considering PIAA 05330 LED's, but have never actually seen them lit-up.

Second question, what's your opinion on white vs amber color beam?

I installed the Xprite fog lights and am pretty happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 22 Old 12-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Granite Guru

Have the JW Speaker fogs. The fit is really good, though I removed my bumper just to install them.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-02-2016, 06:22 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

These two links are for posts from our own UMCDOC14. This may help.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/electr...ed-lights.html

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/chit-c...eadlights.html
coilrod and lilscorpion like this.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #16 of 22 Old 12-03-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Once again thanks everyone. Great help!!

post #17 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Interesting stuff!

Quote:
Blue, indigo, and violet are difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our retina rather than upon it. To demonstrate this to yourself, after dark find a deep blue storefront sign or blue lights on an airport runway or something else that's a deep blue light emitter against a dark background in the absence of white light—from any appreciable distance, it's almost impossible for your eyes to see the blue lighted object as a sharply defined form;the edges blur. The blur effect is not present with nearby signs or lights of colours other than blue.
At my daughters dance concert on the weekend, at several points between performances there was a blue spotlight shining on a silver Christmas tree. With my glasses on, it was blurred even though other things were focused, BUT, when I took the glasses off, the blue lit tree was focused & everything else was blurred!

Works right along with the explanation of blue light increasing the amount of glare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.

Last edited by Banshee; 12-06-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 12-06-2016, 09:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

this place is the Jeep forum equivalent of bacon!

[/COLOR]
you could have applied that bacon more effectively. personally, I like to weave a bacon tapestry and then bake it in the toaster oven. If you are careful, you can flip it and toast it on both sides.
post #19 of 22 Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Kso
Wheeler

I have the rigid dot approved fog lights and I love them, they are pretty bright and do there job in dense fog
post #20 of 22 Old 12-21-2016, 01:07 AM
JKowners Vendor

The retrofit source has some really nice projector type led fogs that I am running. Check out the link

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/je...to-xb-led.html

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #21 of 22 Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 AM

I recently installed these LED clone fogs, $44 from Amazon - they have a wide beam with a good horizontal cutoff, and they put out a nice white light that is plenty bright. After removing the front bumper cover piece (I had to drill out the push pins to get it off), installation was quickly done from the top. I ordered new push pins. Each light has an adjusting screw for vertical adjustment of the beam.

-------------------
Since I'm a newbie, I just discovered that they won't let me post links or photos yet. But you can find the fogs I bought by searching Amazon for "Xprite 4 Inch 60W Cree Led Fog Lights for Jeep Wrangler"
-------------------

I've used them a couple of times on foggy country backroads, and they work great.
post #22 of 22 Old 01-08-2017, 10:27 AM
JKO Addict!

2nd time i heard this. Are you using a app?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode