Rear windows not working - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-01-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rear windows not working

II have a 4-Door 2008 JK Rubicon. I appreciate any help I can get. Rear windows haven't worked since I put the doors back on. That was a few months ago. Prior to putting them back on I pulled out all the carpet, removed the drain plugs and hosed it out. I'm a novice when it comes to electrical. I've double checked all the connections. I've checked to make sure that both switch clusters are connected. I don't think I'm getting power to the rear switch. I pulled the rear connector and used a test light on all the pins and it never lit up. The front switch lock out switch was in the down position. Does the rear switch need to have power for the front switch to work? Lastly, is the front switch connector supposed to light up? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So it seems the regulators are out. It seems rather weird that they would both go out at the same time. I used a test light and I have power at both wires. Took the regulator off and it would go in one direction, but not the other. There are lights on both switches in the rear and they turn on when the lock out switch is pushed in on top. I assume that the front has them as well, but they have never worked as far as I know.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I swapped regulators from front to back. That didn't fix the problem. When I swapped motors the rear window still didn't work and the motor that was in the back and got moved to the front worked fine. So it must be something in the wiring or switch. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Rock God

Any chance you got water in the connectors when you hosed it out?

Do the power locks work on those rear doors? (assuming you have power locks)

Does the dome light come on when you open the rear doors when they are plugged in?
post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm sure there is a chance the connectors have gotten wet. I've looked at all of them, including the one under the center console. I disconnected, reconnected and visually inspected each one. The electric door locks all work. Do you think this is potentially a TIPM issue? The switched may have gotten a little wet (My TJ was a whole lot more water friendly). Any advice on how to narrow it down.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-04-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I forgot to mention that the dome light comes on when the backdoors are opened.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Rock God

If the dome light works and the rear power locks, then the door connectors should be just fine, which would make it odd that both of the connections for the windows in the rear were the problem. I would think the next thing to try is to disconnect the battery and re-connect it. I had some electrical weirdness a couple of times and that did the trick for me. Leave it disconnected for several minutes before reconnecting.

If that doesn't do the trick, the next point of connection I think is the window up/down switches in the console. The connection for that unit is all one piece, so if the front doors are working and the rears are not, it seems it would be odd for that to be the issue but it may be worth checking to ensure it's firmly connected.

It seemingly couldn't be a fuse either, I'm guessing the front/rear windows are all on the same fuse, and if the fronts work it seems so should the rears.

Try the battery disconnect and let us know how that goes.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Disconnecting the battery didn't change anything. When I use a test light on the connector it will light up when I use the rear switch. It won't light up when I use the front switch.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-08-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Does anyone have any clever ideas on testing the front switch. I've found some forums that suggest testing the continuity. I'm not sure how to do that. I don't have anyone who might let me swap switches. Is there a way to switch the wires to see if the front switches can operate the rear windows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode