Adding OEM Infinity sound system - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By linenoise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Question Adding OEM Infinity sound system

Hey guys, I am in middle of install of the factory Infinity Sound system.
Here are the details of my install.
2009 Jeep JKU with base cd sound system. Upgraded base with navigation base radio, Install was great. Everything works as expected. Purchased OEM factory Infinity Amp, Speakers and Subwoofer.
I began my install with the subwoofer which plugged right into the factory harness in the back. Then began my install of the amp in the stock location. I have searched for several hours it seemed but could not find the amp harness in the dash. Since my jeep was equipped from the factory with the base sound system could it possibly not have the wiring harness for the amp? Or is there a separate harness that connects the amp to the radio. Please help I am currently on hold with my project. I have searched the internet and there is no info on how the Infinity Sound system is connected to give me a good starting point on how to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-28-2016, 06:47 AM

Why would you want to add the infinity system? I am just about done replacing it. All the wiring you are going to have to do to get the head unit to amp than to speakers. Thats crazy talk. I unhooked my 8" sub in back and the bass was noticeably better in higher bass frequencies! Now here are your issues...
1. The radio you bought is used with a amp normally so the output RCAs you can get from the back connector are not going to be volume matched. Just signal. The amplitude data is on the CAN bus. The Cars local network. So this will be very tricky to get it to work right. I would have went aftermarket head unit if I was you. Way better end state. The factory head unit is "one" with amp. They are basically one unit connected by low audio rca's and can bus. I am sure you could get this to work but man, what a pain for subpar results. the upgraded audio was horrible in 2014 and older JK's. They fixed this mostly in 2015.
Mephisto likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-28-2016, 08:12 AM

I'm not positive if they still amplify at the speaker or not anymore, that used to be "thing" on certain cars when I was installing. But, I agree with @linenoise , you may not be too pleased with the end results if you enjoy your music like I do.

The only work-around I can even come up with is, I believe there's a 4ch line out converter out there you could purchase to tap off the factory harness. But, then you're stuck running speaker lines to each speaker that you want functional. And even then, with the whole CANBUS system, it's not a guarantee. I'd tap off the back of the harness and splice a speaker in the down in foot well/kick panel to make sure you have the ample output before you go through the whole hassle.

We've had to do a similar job back when I used to work in a shop. We tried to convince the customer of the same thing, but he insisted. Aaaaand he also came back about a month later for a double din Kenwood, Infinity Reference speakers, and an Alpine 4-ch amp because he wasn't satisfied with the audio levels. We laughed about it with him at the time, but he wasn't too happy to have two of the three people working on his car that told him otherwise the first time around.

Semper Fidelis - Unus Supra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode