Switched reverse light wiring HELP - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-13-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Switched reverse light wiring HELP

Could use some wiring help guys. I have the ace engineering bumper and the lifetime leds in the bumper. Want them to come on when in reverse AND switched to the Contura Rocker switch to be able to turn on manually (unloading camping gear at night).

Wired the rocker switch like i've seen and with the accessory lead from pin 3 into 85 on the relay. So switch lights work. To get into reverse I pulled the left rear light found the white/green and black ground going to the reverse bulb and tapped both. Ran the wire tap from white/green also into pin 85 on the relay and wire tapped the black ground on the reverse and ran to pin 86 of the relay.

It works. flip switch = light on. Put in reverse = lights on.

Hit the brakes and the damn lights lit up blinding everyone behind me last night driving home = WTF?

Any ideas? I'm wondering is it the grounding?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-13-2016, 10:58 AM
pvanfab.com

For starters, ground the relay pin 86 somewhere close to the relay, not to the black wire at the tail light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Random Dude

Put diodes inline in the 2 wires headed into the 85 terminal on your relay (so no backfeed)

and

run a dedicated ground to your 86 terminal (so you don't piss off the CANBUS).

Should be good to go after that. Gotta' run to lunch, hope the quick reply did it for you.

EDIT: Move your 30A fuse to the wire feeding terminal #30 on the relay, and put a ~5A fuse going to the switch.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-13-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Size diode?
triangle symbol of diode pointing in the direction of the relay or towards switch?

thanks
post #5 of 10 Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by craic View Post
Size diode?
I'd go with 50V 1A - plenty of safety factor there. If Radio Shack still exists, their P/N = 276-1101.

triangle symbol of diode pointing in the direction of the relay or towards switch?
THIS LINK has all your diode orientation questions answered. If that doesn't work, HERE is a direct link.

thanks

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

post #6 of 10 Old 09-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Ok, I won't respond to your PM since my reverse light is wired directly into the reverse circuit without switch or relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
. . . my reverse light is wired directly into the reverse circuit without switch or relay.
Same here. I bought the diodes, then said "fookit" and decided to keep everything stupid-simple.
I figger'd that I can turn the key on and throw it in reverse (not running) if I need light out back (or use my rock lights).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Ok, I won't respond to your PM since . . .
- you should send him a PM telling him you posted in his thread telling him you won't send him a PM

post #8 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Problem solved with proper grounding relay to the tub. The harness/reverse black ground is a floating ground and was causing the crossovers. I appreciate the responses and will be adding the diode for the hell of it as I had already gotten then before trouble-shooting.

Jeep on
post #9 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Rock God

Great info, I am about to setup reverse lights as I have none after going with LED tail lights. Will look back into this for info thanks!

post #10 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craic View Post
Problem solved with proper grounding relay to the tub. The harness/reverse black ground is a floating ground and was causing the crossovers. I appreciate the responses and will be adding the diode for the hell of it as I had already gotten then before trouble-shooting.

Jeep on
Did you get my PM telling you that I was posting in this thread and in this thread telling you I wasn't sending a PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode