JW Speaker knock off thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 09-09-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JW Speaker knock off thread

Those of you who feel strongly about Chinese knock products should probably stop reading now.

I purchased a set of Truck-Lites and am disappointed with them. Having spent the money I can't afford to spend another 570 dollars on JW's.

What I would like to do if anyone wants to play is get together a record of performance & reliability of the various knock off lights that people may have purchased together with pictures. In this was we as a community will get an idea of that relative value of these products. I am 100% sure that JW's are better than all the knock offs. Just not sure that they are 300-400% better depending on which knock off.

Would appreciate input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Wheeler

I picked up a set of these truck lites knock-offs and they are terrible. They are kind of bright but the beam pattern is so scattered, they are almost useless.
They were bad enough that I went back to stock.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-09-2016, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Truck-lites

Thanks for your comment. I bought the real deal truckies and my main problem is that there is either a big dark patch right in front of the vehicle on low beam or you have to have them aimed down so low that you get no distance on low beam at all. The Y artifacts are also a pain but I knew about that. Also on a street light road even not bright the low beams kind of vanish. If you still have your knock offs I would love to see a pic and I can post the real TLs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Wheeler

I have the same issue with my KC headlights. Whenever I can I turn on my JW fogs to fill that gap right in front of the Jeep.

2015 Sahara Unlimited Anvil - BDS 4.5 " Short Arm Lift - Method NV Wheels - 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - JCR Dagger Front Bumper - JCR Crusader Rear w/ Shield Carrier - JCR Classic Sliders - Warn Zeon 8 Winch

Last edited by maaicher; 09-14-2016 at 08:22 AM.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not that you want to hear another "these are better" reply but the Quadratec ones have had excellent reviews and are significantly less than the speaker ones. Rumor is they have Phillips internals.

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #6 of 28 Old 09-10-2016, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have visionx fogs i do the same with. Issue i have then is with these old eyes. The vision x fogs place a nice blaze of white light in front of the jeep which makes the truck lites dissapear even more. Thanks for the feedback.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-10-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

QTech ones

Yes i know they seem good. I read every review i could before deciding on the trucks. The Qt ones got trashed a bit on candlepower forum but it took it with a grain of salt. The clincher for me was i liked the way the trucks looked more but it does seem now that the qts are beter performers.
post #8 of 28 Old 09-10-2016, 05:29 AM
Granite Guru

I had the trucklights on my old jeep and they did pretty good. When I got the new jeep I bought the QT's. Very happy with them so far. Good output and light spread.

EX-JC
post #9 of 28 Old 09-10-2016, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
I have the same issue with my KC headlights. Whenever I can I turn on my JW fogs to fill that gap right in front of the car.

Jeep.
'not talking about cars.
Get it straight or you'll piss your straight axle friend (& others) off.
Jeep

<edit: bringing more that's useful to this than being some kinda schoolmarm to jkowners that should know better than to call them "cars" ; it seems the R&D that companies such as JWSpeaker , Trucklight & KC have resources for are the technology standard bearers and setters of the price point s: no matter how patented or innovative or effective , that will be bastardized by some mass duplication incentive based Chinese company that immediately sees sales ( think the ARB Intensity Aux lights) and whose scouts come to monthly meeting with news of yet another forerunner companies newest , hot selling tech that their engineers must then reverse and try to duplicate with the lowest parts used to assimilate an equivalent/cloned model. We all know CREE LEDs are CREE LEDs ; what they skimp out on and cannot afford or care to copy is the reflector / housing design -the most vital part if the light - becsuse that's either proprietary or would cause their knock offs to not be a very good bargain to ship in units ( think 10,000 pair of headlights in a shipping container from Hong Kong ) thus eliminating the profitability . So , they get LEDs in them , they make a near perfect form factor rip off of the light itself but always will be a weaker ,less effective illumination source because the lesser reflector design ( where they save money ) will come second to cost to build .These international manufacturers know that the buyer (stupid American !) majority, who only cares that his knockoff fools folks into thiking he's running a high end leds as he's crawling speed bumps at the mall ,will gladly pay 1/3 of the cost of the nice LEDs with light output and integrity of product as an. afterthought . I have a cheap led light bar but compared to a rigid or Baja designs , it is a toy ( even tho stupid bright and tough) ; I don't understand how some folks compromise on something as integral as headlights . I know you (OP) opened by acknowledging that if you love Chinese knockoffs ,baill out but it struck me as funny that you're trying to collect a data set or standards for a group of light sources that by their very reason for existing and nature define the lack of any standards or QC as far as performance. Just the irony made me comment .
I have never seen a cheap LED do more than puke a blob of white light full of artifacts and escaping rays about midway between "far enough" and " up close " . This should be interesting to see as results pile up because im willing to bet that with knockoffs you're going to get different light patterns even from two sets of the same cheap lights .

(Caveat edit: there are a few international led makers that have good R&D but you'll notice these don't offer headlights for our Jeeps ; costs a boatload to do correctly and cast Diode emitted lighting effectively so they don't try plus the mrkt is oversaturated )

Good idea for a thread ,tho. I'll keep up with this ...>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-10-2016 at 06:26 AM.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input. The other irony is that I did purchase from one of the top name brands and not being happy with the product am now seeking to find the best of the cheapies. Normally its the other way around. I am a big believer in the 80/20 rule and I am sure that there is a speaker knock off that offers 80 percent of the value at 20 percent of the price and I am hoping to find it out there in that sea of product. America already got my money. Now its China's turn.
post #11 of 28 Old 09-10-2016, 01:26 PM

I just posted about this on the JK-Forum a short while ago. I'm not entirely sure that all the "knockoffs" are "knockoffs". The big boys virtually all et their lights from China. I have a feeling that some of the "knockoffs" being sold are pretty much the same thing but unbranded, from the same factory. I'm testing a set now and so far they're pretty good.
post #12 of 28 Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 AM

Ill be getting the JWS knock off in the near future. I am going for the sundae half moon DRL one. It seems to get good reviews from people so I figure for 160 its worth a shot. Worse case I am sure I can resale it to someone else for a slight loss.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Granite Guru

Headlight Revolution on You-tube has already done much of the testing homework for you...
post #14 of 28 Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Headlight Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
Headlight Revolution on You-tube has already done much of the testing homework for you...
Yes thanks. I reviewed at length before purchasing the Trucks. There are SO many knock offs my theory is that at least some of them are decent. HR tested on of the JW Speaker knock offs only. I am trying to get together a list of ones that people have actually used in real life and the results.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=j3ff3ry_j33p;4003497]
Jeep.
'not talking about cars.
Get it straight or you'll piss your straight axle friend (& others) off.
Jeep

My bad...Updated
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

2015 Sahara Unlimited Anvil - BDS 4.5 " Short Arm Lift - Method NV Wheels - 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - JCR Dagger Front Bumper - JCR Crusader Rear w/ Shield Carrier - JCR Classic Sliders - Warn Zeon 8 Winch
post #16 of 28 Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Unfortunately

There seems to be no interest by people in sharing their experiences with this. I have made a purchase and will post the comparison with my Trucks when the Chinese lights arrive. It will either cure me from bargan hunting or not. I have paid about the same in total as I would have for the JW's to start with. I guess its a Jeep thing.
post #17 of 28 Old 09-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the JW speaker knock offs that the Wife bought me after driving the jeep at night.

I don't have anything to compare them to outside of the stock lights. They were horrid.

The knock offs do put out nice light. I have to fine tune/adjust them now that it's dark enough to use them when I come home from work. Even on the rough adjustment, they put out a good amount of white light, but there is a 'less lighted' area just in front of the bumper. Can't even get a good picture of it. Sides are lit up much more than stock. They seem to have a decent cut off, although it's a little "W" looking. It's not a straight line. I have yet to get flashed with the lights up a little more than they need to be.

Nothing wrong with the lights. If asked if I would I buy them again, for the money, no doubt. I did want to mention the 'less lighted' area and 'w' looking cut off so the review would be as descriptive as possible.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S

Last edited by ndtguy; 09-20-2016 at 08:48 PM.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-27-2016, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

@ndtguy

Thanks for the feedback. What did you install? Brand etc? Cheers
post #19 of 28 Old 09-27-2016, 05:17 AM
Rock God

IMHO its hard to beat these for cost and performance:

HELLA 002395991 7" H4 Type Single High/Low Beam Headlamp

HELLA H4 130/90W Series 130/90 Watt 12 V Halogen Bulb

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0023959.../dp/B0002M9QJM

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H4-130-...C04SKAQK0RCXWE

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0023959.../dp/B0002M9QJM

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H4-130-...C04SKAQK0RCXWE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 28 Old 09-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
IMHO its hard to beat these for cost and performance:

HELLA 002395991 7" H4 Type Single High/Low Beam Headlamp

HELLA H4 130/90W Series 130/90 Watt 12 V Halogen Bulb
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but you might want to check ratings for the factory wiring and typical H13-to-H4 conversion cables for this setup.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #21 of 28 Old 09-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajk View Post
Thanks for the feedback. What did you install? Brand etc? Cheers
I want to say the lights were called Sunfire.

Forgot to add this in my review. The lights came with the anti-flicker and H4-H13 adapters. I used electrical tape around where the adapter came together because I didn't feel it was 100% water proof. Still, overall, I'd recommend for what they are.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #22 of 28 Old 10-05-2016, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My knockoffs arrived

So mine arrived today. Sunpie which I have read mixed reviews of from great to crap. Will install tonight possibly and give my impression vs the Truck-Lites that are currently installed.
post #23 of 28 Old 10-06-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sunpie impressions

Ok so at first impression this seems to be a quality built product. On further examination I was able to figure out that the seal between the lens and the body of the light was inadequate. Based on reading about this product I used some marine silicone around the edge where the lens meets the body of the light and it is clear to see that in several places the silicone forced its way under the lens. The seal should be good now.

On the performance of the light... Well the low beam is OK. It is brighter & whiter then the truck-lites I had installed and does not wash out under street lights and as other vehicles pass in the other direction.

There are no artifacts in the low beam and I did not get flashed. There is however a patch of light directly in front of the vehicle, then a shadow and then brighter light. So overall its OK but not fantastic.

High beam seems to bring the suck though. There are strange artifacts and spill over on the top of the beam and definitely less light than the trucks. Don't miss those truck-lite x artifacts though.

Its helped me understand my discomfort with the truck-lites. Its either the color or intensity of the low beam. I drive to work every day in the dark and the truck's kind of disappear under street lights which, although you can see, feels like you have no lights. If the truck's were either whiter or brighter then they would be better. Anyway I will persist with the Sunpie's for a bit and let you guys know.
post #24 of 28 Old 10-06-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sunpie - Final review

I pulled the fuse for the light bars this morning and checked these things out on high beam unassisted. They are useless. Worse than stock. Don't buy them. Next month I may try another brand/type that some of the guys on another forum have had good things to say about.
post #25 of 28 Old 10-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

i didn't have any issues with the sealing of the lights. My biggest issue was lack of water tightness between adaptors/wiring harness. Not an issues here in the desert but I wrapped the connections up with electrical tape to keep water out.

I completely agree with your low beam review.

The high beams on mine throw the light way out there. Of course I'm in the desert so the light just keeps going without hitting anything vs back east in the mountains/trees.

I got mine a way back early this year. Maybe they did something different? Sounds like they did on the high beam portion.

Have been adjusting mine slowly and I'm getting even more light on the ground. Never had anyone flash me for glare, but I try to keep other people in mind because I'm light sensitive, so I'm adjusting the lights down a tiny bit and finally think I found the 'sweet spot'. Have you tried adjusting them at all? Just wondering.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode