Coil and spark plugs. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Coil and spark plugs.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/wrangler.htm

Anyone seen this, just curious, snake oil or .......

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM
JKO Addict!

[my opinion]People buy them and claim gains. My personal opinion is it's hog wash. Today's factory ignition systems are very stout. It is not the day of points or cheap factory ignition boxes anymore. I installed an MSD 6a box on my 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda (factory ignition) and hardly noticed a difference. Therefore I have no hope for upgrading the factory JK stuff. If I had a problem with the wires or coil, I'd consider it. But I wouldn't replace a functioning ignition with it. MAYBE if I had a supercharger to help the spark out with the added turbulence and fuel in the cylinder...thats about it..[/my opinion]

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well I got some bad plugs, was actually looking @ the wires as a replacement while fixing bad plugs and was thinking added heat protection because of Texas heat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
[my opinion]People buy them and claim gains. My personal opinion is it's hog wash. Today's factory ignition systems are very stout. It is not the day of points or cheap factory ignition boxes anymore. I installed an MSD 6a box on my 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda (factory ignition) and hardly noticed a difference. Therefore I have no hope for upgrading the factory JK stuff. If I had a problem with the wires or coil, I'd consider it. But I wouldn't replace a functioning ignition with it. MAYBE if I had a supercharger to help the spark out with the added turbulence and fuel in the cylinder...thats about it..[/my opinion]
Thanks for the response...

post #5 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
Well I got some bad plugs, was actually looking @ the wires as a replacement while fixing bad plugs and was thinking added heat protection because of Texas heat.
Again, it's certainly up to you. Whatever you do, do-not buy E3 spark plugs. My preference is NGKs, never let me down (like the E3's did 300 miles from home)

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #6 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Again, it's certainly up to you. Whatever you do, do-not buy E3 spark plugs. My preference is NGKs, never let me down (like the E3's did 300 miles from home)
You have reference # on NGK's

post #7 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Any difference in their series, or which are better?

post #8 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 PM
JKO Addict!

The different metals, my understanding, is they operate better at different cylinder temperatures (no boost or nitrous for platinums due to blowout because of the small electrode). Since the JK is not quite the BMW, I personally would go Iridium #2314 it looks like.

post #9 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thank you, Sir!

post #10 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Iridiums are cheaper than the laser platinum

post #11 of 24 Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Iridiums are cheaper than the laser platinum
Yessir, Plats are generally a super long lasting plug. (100,000+), which I think is the factory plug in the JK. I prefer to run the cheaper (but still really good) Iridium plug, but change them more often.

I'm a little quirky on my maintenance. I don't mind tearing into things to over maintain it.

I'm no spark plug expert however.

post #12 of 24 Old 07-22-2010, 12:26 AM
JKO Addict!

I thought the OEM plugs are Champion?
post #13 of 24 Old 07-22-2010, 05:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
I thought the OEM plugs are Champion?
They are, he said he thinks they are platinum

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Oh my bad, I totally missed that.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
What happened with the E3s?
post #16 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoreheath View Post
What happened with the E3s?
Never had the E3's in the Jeep, but have heard only negative about them. I did put E3's in my daily driver ('05 Kia Spectra) and will be removing them this coming weekend. I have given them a full 15k miles and they SUCK. Hard starts, idle stumbling, accelleration stumbling, reduced fuel milage, you name it.

Because I put so many miles on my car I maintain it religiously. I can tell you for a fact all the problems mentioned above feed back to the plugs. I will be returning to the original NGK Iridiums!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #17 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Wheeler

I am the most anti gimmick person on the planet, but based on the examples and studies I saw I felt like the deserved a try. He firs vehicle I pu them in was my 09 Polaris RZR. From day 1 my RZR had a rough idle and was a tad slow to start. I tried a new set of stock plugs, and had no better luck. With about 14hrs on the clock, I installed a set of E3s. No more hard start, no more rough idle, and the throttle response felt crisper too. As far as mileage or power, there is no real way of knowing what good if any they did. Since then I put them in my 05 TJ and a buddies 91 XJ, both with positive results asmfar as performance goes. Cured a hard start in my tj and a rough idle n the xj. Would a different new plug have done the same? Maybe. The RZR to me was the truest test I have done so far. For a non boosted or non nitrous engine, I would use them again. In fact pretty soon I'm going to put a set in my JK.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had the E3's, they were great....HOWEVER... didn't last, mis fire codes and the rest people have heard. Changed them out after 15-20K.

post #19 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had the E3's... 2 miss fired after 200 kms of driving... long drive home that night. I returned them to the company I got them picked up some stock ones. E3 found out and sent me a new set. Anyone one want them just pay the shipping.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #20 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoreheath View Post
I would use them again. In fact pretty soon I'm going to put a set in my JK.
good luck with them, I personally know 3 people including myself that had misfires with them in their jk's besides all the people I've seen online here post same problem

Quote:
I had the E3's, they were great....HOWEVER... didn't last, mis fire codes and the rest people have heard. Changed them out after 15-20K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
I had the E3's... 2 miss fired after 200 kms of driving... long drive home that night. I returned them to the company I got them picked up some stock ones. E3 found out and sent me a new set. Anyone one want them just pay the shipping.
Misfires are the big problem in the jk with E3's . Maybe it's just something about the jk not liking them. I have yet to see anyone claim they are trouble free in a jk yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #21 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

I have been running the E3 plugs in my 4.0L XJ for over a year with no issues, yet. It could just be a JKs that have the problems.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Granite Guru

I have had E3's in my JK for over a year and have not had a single problem

08 Detonator Yellow Rubicon-RE Arms-37" Mt/R's with Kevlar-Riddler Diff Cover-LoD stubby with Stinger-LoD stubby tire carrier-Warn M8000 Winch-Rigid D2's-20" Rigid Light Bar-SPOD-PS Rocker Knockers-PS Body Armor-5.13s-hydro assist-RCV shafts-IPF-Corbeau LG1 seats-12" King coilovers-AEV Hood-AEV Snorkel-5.7L VVT Hemi-AEV hemi Install Kit-4.5" AEV Springs-ProRock 44-AlloyUSA Rear shafts-Spyntech Hubs-Raceline Monters-
post #23 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Granite Guru

Spark Plug change.

Yesterday, I changed my OEM plugs (Champion) on my 08 RUBI out for NGK 2314 iridium plugs. We will see if there are any improvements in mileage.

08 JKU Ruby
WAY BETTER THAN STOCK!
post #24 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Rock God

Garage
Talking just curious, snake oil

Quote:
http://www.performancedistributors.com/wrangler.htm

Anyone seen this, just curious, snake oil or .......
I have a few qt's of snake oil at the shop. It's not something we normally sell, but for a JK member....
Attached Images

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode