Any luck with aftermarket key fobs? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Asmmns
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-26-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Any luck with aftermarket key fobs?

My wife lost one of our keys a while back, now the one we have stopped working even with a new battery, the price from the dealership is crazy. Has anyone had any luck with the aftermarket ones available - https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...ht-3btn-x2.htm

It says you need to go to a dealership or a locksmith to reprogram if you don't have two working fobs, the Stealership says it's over $100 to program the remote key fob, that's nuts!

Any help would be appreciated!

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-26-2016, 06:39 PM

I got one from a locksmith, and the fob and programming of it was $85. I would do that over the dealership
post #3 of 14 Old 09-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by upalms View Post
My wife lost one of our keys a while back, now the one we have stopped working even with a new battery, the price from the dealership is crazy. Has anyone had any luck with the aftermarket ones available - https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...ht-3btn-x2.htm

It says you need to go to a dealership or a locksmith to reprogram if you don't have two working fobs, the Stealership says it's over $100 to program the remote key fob, that's nuts!

Any help would be appreciated!
This is why one might think about acquiring additional programmable keys while they still have possession of their two original programmable keys. Vendors can be found on eBay that sell original-like Jeep programmable keys that can be programmed by the vehicle owner. The blank requires cutting (took mine to a local locksmith) then programmed by the vehicle owner, while complying with Jeep's instructions for programming the new replacement keys, in the vehicle. I purchased two programmable keys for about $24. Locksmith charged $0.00 Remember, this option is only available to a Jeep owner if they are in possession of their two original keys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

@upalms
was it really quoted that it's a c-note for the dealership nearest you to correct having only a single key fob left? my 11 has uno key; (wife's purse stolen in Atlanta) ಠ_ಠ

I have to baby that key like it was a baby; I thought it was more like $400 so to me , a hundred would be so much peace-of0-mind I would gladly pay it, even acknowledging that it is akin to highway-robbery 'cause they are just hitting a monkey button to result in the FCA software programming-it to a unique identifier with a hashed key.
Whatever.
Can you just order the blanks off of Amazon and use that at a dealership, do you know? I could look it up, probably on jko but it's a rainy Sat and I am pissed and lazy cuz I didn't get to go out on rocks today like i had planned.

you just got grumpy old-guyed
get-off my lawn!

Help a lazy ,apathetic cuz he's stuck at home wheeler out, mate...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Can you just order the blanks off of Amazon and use that at a dealership, do you know?
Remember, the stealership is in business to transfer the money in "j3ff3ry's " bank account into stealership's bank account. Maybe if your firstborn works at the stealership? When the locksmith wouldn't take anything for cutting my two new programmable keys, I had him to cut me a non-programmable key that I have hid in a location, known only to me and GOD, outside the cab of the JKRHR. This will get me back in the car. I then have a new programmable key hid inside the car, in a location known only to me and GOD. It will get me home.

If you can guess where, I'll buy you a brand spanking new programmable blank. I'd then have to re-hide it, of course.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaw View Post
Remember, the stealership is in business to transfer the money in "j3ff3ry's " bank account into stealership's bank account. Maybe if your firstborn works at the stealership? When the locksmith wouldn't take anything for cutting my two new programmable keys, I had him to cut me a non-programmable key that I have hid in a location, known only to me and GOD, outside the cab of the JKRHR. This will get me back in the car. I then have a new programmable key hid inside the car, in a location known only to me and GOD. It will get me home.

If you can guess where, I'll buy you a brand spanking new programmable blank. I'd then have to re-hide it, of course.

soundbar or a headrest; if not there, you have a small dog in the map pocket that has it up its butt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-18-2016, 05:47 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

soundbar or a headrest; if not there, you have a small dog in the map pocket that has it up its butt.
NO, my middle TN neighbor. But if I told, you, me, and everyone on this forum would then know. Where could I hide it then? BTW, are you believing that Texas guy who's on the "build forum" that gave up his JKU for 3 years just to get a SC 6.2 Caddy motor installed? He says he's dropped about $160K so far and is going to rip out his brand spanking new cage. He just hauled it back to Houston after 3 YEARS. Plus, he had to buy his wife a new Corvette during the entire fiasco.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-18-2016, 07:39 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
NO, my middle TN neighbor. But if I told, you, me, and everyone on this forum would then know. Where could I hide it then? BTW, are you believing that Texas guy who's on the "build forum" that gave up his JKU for 3 years just to get a SC 6.2 Caddy motor installed? He says he's dropped about $160K so far and is going to rip out his brand spanking new cage. He just hauled it back to Houston after 3 YEARS. Plus, he had to buy his wife a new Corvette during the entire fiasco.
That is not even half the story. You should have been around for the previous two build threads on that thing !!!
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #9 of 14 Old 09-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

yeah I am in security for business..keep your key spot to yourself!

;on your other subject ; you make it appearent that you've just spent your hour on read thru of the infamous @bluewave "LS in a JK build"?Heh; consider yourself fortunate that you get to experience it in 'binge' catch up mode instead of living through every slow update. As I am told someplace within that threads later pages, most of the ardent followers gave-up long ago on that. I truly feel for the guy that has gone thru that but if everything else sucks, he has seen ( & subsequently taught many,many others ) that having ample resources to finance such extravagant customizing does not always mean you will get what you want like snapping your fingers.
It does finally seem that the penultimate fubar of a build is finally rolling ( props to Robbie at motech)but as advised, I suggest you never, ever think that that thread is done ,build is a wrap or that it's a completed project; if you tell yourself it's gonna be done soon, your perpetuating the fool-yourself trick of the thread ( it is cursed, I am pretty sure) and your eyes will shrivel-up like raisins.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-18-2016 at 08:05 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Rock God

FWIW to you all I just Spent 800 bucks on a sim key reader and a new key on my 10jkur , I only had one key and I went to change the battery and my key crashed and my reader died also . So look out on the older ones.

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #11 of 14 Old 09-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I am OCD about changing the key ( singular) battery, @tapcola
that being said; would mind explaining what you mean? did you order the sim card reader to reprogram your own and in midst of doing so decide to change the battery on the one key and that cleaned it memory out /erased the stored data or did the sim card reader have to be bought because you let the key decharge and reset itself ?
Maybe I need to read up on this type of key being programmed more.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-19-2016, 04:22 AM
Rock God

You have a sim key reader in the steering column . It reads the code in the key . The best explanation I could get was when I went to change the battery my key died and it lost the code .the sim key reader wouldn't take the new code it was locked up.so I had to buy a new key and reader.

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #13 of 14 Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

thank you for explaining that. Did not know the HW layout as well as I thought (should) !
tapcola likes this.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Wheeler

I'm so glad I had absolutely nothing to do tonight and reread this thread. I had forgot that I had hidden the two keys (one outside the car/one inside in car). After giving it a little thought, the locations have returned to my memory. And for those of you young whipper snappers, it will happen to you, also. Soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode