Can't get the CB Below 1.6 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Can't get the CB Below 1.6

I can't get my Uniden 520 tuned below a 1.6 with the SWR meter. I do not have a ground running from the tailgate to the body, but I figured since the Wilson Flex 4' antenna was mounted directly to my HD Customs bumper, which is directly mounted to my frame would've been sufficient. Would a ground strap or wire improve my SWR? I did this all in the middle of a wide open field...er...vacant home development site. I also have the unit hardwired directly to the battery, and the ground (black) wire from the unit is mounted to the bolt that goes into the dash and frame on the passenger side behind the plastic dash cover.

Thoughts?

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 PM
JKO Addict!

I have a Teraflex mount on my tire carrier and called them in reference to issues I heard of bad grounding with their mount. They told me to make sure to use a round wire brush in the mounting holes to ensure a proper ground. I have good readings from mine with no issues and no ground strap to the tailgate. I would do the same to your antenna mounting area and see what results you get. Hope this helps!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Rock God

I don't think 1.6 is bad you just don't want to go over 3. Have you checked your SWR on other channels? Some will read higher or lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGo4x4 View Post
I don't think 1.6 is bad you just don't want to go over 3. Have you checked your SWR on other channels? Some will read higher or lower.
I did check my other channels' readings. They range from 1.6 to around 1.9 or so. Generally all at or below 2.0.

I'll have to try the wire brush idea and see if it improves.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #5 of 6 Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Wheeler

1.6 is not bad. Especially for a vehicle with a goofy ground plane like a jeep. Try cleaning up your grounds that might help. Might try grounding the CB chasis itself. Sometimes it just does goofy things post up what your readings are on channel 40, 20 and 1 and lets see if maybe the antenna is short or long?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
JKO Addict!

As other have mentioned, make sure the mouting point for your antenna has any powder coat ground off of it. Also if you have not done so, adjust your antenna by lengthing or shortening it.

If you're still having issues and can't get it any lower try running a good grounding wire from the antenna to a secure poing on the body or frame.

This was a great resource as well.

Firestik Tech Site

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode