$1 Headlight Mod - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child
  • 1 Post By hellguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

$1 Headlight Mod

Not sure if anyone has done this or not. I have looked and did not find anything on a four hi headlight hack so I applied what I did with my Silverado and it worked out well. I ordered a package of 1N4004 diode and jumpered the high beam to the low beam so that all four are running when the high beams are on but only the low beams are on when they are selected. This makes a huge improvement on the back country roads at night and only cost me $1 and a little bit of time.

Edit: I mistakingly said resistor and was corrected. It should be a diode. The part number is correct. Just not the nomenclature.

Last edited by hellguy; 08-26-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 06:07 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Hmmm, So when you select Hi beams the low beams stay on?

How about doing a hack where you can get the lower driving lights to stay on when you select the Hi beams?
cody48 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 06:17 AM
Granite Guru

Can you post of pic of where you jump it?

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 06:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post

How about doing a hack where you can get the lower driving lights to stay on when you select the Hi beams?

There are people out there that make wiring harnesses that do this In a plug and play setup. I found it for my Hummer and it works great. When you put hi-beams, fogs and driving lights stay on with hi-beams. Unfortunately I can find one for the JK, and I'm very electrically handicapped.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post

Yes, the low beams stay on when the high beams are on. I have not had time to hack the fog lights yet but I would guess it to be the same method. Just send power from the high beam wire to the fog light wire and it should work fine. I will have to get on that and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
Can you post of pic of where you jump it?
As soon as I get some time to get the pics I will upload them from my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconJeep View Post
There are people out there that make wiring harnesses that do this In a plug and play setup. I found it for my Hummer and it works great. When you put hi-beams, fogs and driving lights stay on with hi-beams. Unfortunately I can find one for the JK, and I'm very electrically handicapped.
I looked for this mod on Jeep forums and other internet sites but found nothing. I went back to the Silverado forum I was on and got the part number and ordered my resistors. It simply requires peeling back the insulation and jumping across with the resistor.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Rock God

subscribed to see pics.

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #7 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So here are the pics from the mod. The resistor flow is towards the stripe so the low beam attaches to that side. The high beam goes to the other side. A resistor is a one way flow so it keeps power moving only in the direction you want. The wires at the headlight connection are spliced and the resistor is soldered and wrapped in electrical tape to prevent corrosion and grounding.
The high beam is the white/green wire and the low beam is the white/blue wire.

cody48 likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Do you mean diode and not resistor? Also, that diode better be sized amperage wise for the full current of your low beam bulb. Diodes also have a voltage drop across them which will impact the wattage available to the bulb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 JKUR w/ couple modifications
2002 BMW E46 M3
post #9 of 17 Old 08-26-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

$1 Headlight Mod

No. I mean resistor. I've always used this resistor with zero issues. I'm sure a diode would work well too but the size of this resistor works well for this application. The last vehicle I used this in had it in place for four years with no problems.

Last edited by hellguy; 08-26-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellguy View Post
No. I mean resistor.

No, you really mean a DIODE.

Quote:
A resistor is a passive two-terminal electrical component that implements electrical resistance as a circuit element. Resistors may be used to reduce current flow, and, at the same time, may act to lower voltage levels within circuits. In electronic circuits, resistors are used to limit current flow, to adjust signal levels, bias active elements, and terminate transmission lines among other uses.
Quote:
In electronics, a diode is a two-terminal electronic component that conducts primarily in one direction (asymmetric conductance); it has low (ideally zero) resistance to the flow of current in one direction, and high (ideally infinite) resistance in the other.
Are you getting any codes or anything? I would be scared that you are overloading the high beam circuit since you are applying twice the load (high and low beam) it was designed for.
To make this work safely you should run a separate power wire to your low beams through a relay and use the high beam to trigger it.

Jeepless
post #11 of 17 Old 08-26-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No codes at all. I am jumping power down stream of the ECM to keep power from being sent through it. I read that the ECM sends about 8v to the headlights. Not sure how accurate that is. The only thing getting the extra load is the bulb so it should work well.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-26-2016, 07:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
No codes at all. I am jumping power down stream of the ECM to keep power from being sent through it. I read that the ECM sends about 8v to the headlights. Not sure how accurate that is. The only thing getting the extra load is the bulb so it should work well.
I don't know exactly how the headlights function (believe they are pulsed, hence why LED's flicker), but the ECM is only part of the possible problem. The power wires going to the headlights themselves are also a concern.

I'm just making up these numbers to show my point, I don't know what the actual ratings are.

Lets say the low beam is 35 Watts and the high beam is 55 Watts.
The wires going to each are large enough to handle 65 Watts for added safety. But now you are pulling 90 Watts (low and high) through a wire (High beam only) rated for just 65 Watts. Yes it will work, but by overloading the wire you are causing it to heat up more and it could cause it to burn up and short out with other wires.

Jeepless
post #13 of 17 Old 08-26-2016, 07:41 AM
Rock God

Looked up the Part number provided by the OP, and it comes up as a Diode. I thought it was too.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/1n...jfAaAq_B8P8HAQ

Specifications

EU RoHS Compliant
Type Switching Diode
Configuration Single
Peak Reverse Repetitive Voltage (V) 400
Maximum Continuous Forward Current (A) [email protected]=75C
Peak Non-Repetitive Surge Current (A) 30
Peak Forward Voltage (V) 1
Peak Reverse Current (uA) 5
Minimum Operating Temperature (C) -65
Maximum Operating Temperature (C) 150
Packaging Bulk
Operating Junction Temperature (C) -65 to 150
Package Diameter (mm) 2.71(Max)
Mounting Through Hole
Package Length (mm) 4.7(Max)
PCB changed 2
Standard Package Name DO-204-AL
Supplier Package DO-41
Pin Count 2
Lead Shape Through Hole

I'm not an electrical guy, but the above specs might be of interest to some.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-26-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #15 of 17 Old 08-26-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I always searched as a resistor. My apologies.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
So here are the pics from the mod. The resistor flow is towards the stripe so the low beam attaches to that side. The high beam goes to the other side. A resistor is a one way flow so it keeps power moving only in the direction you want. The wires at the headlight connection are spliced and the resistor is soldered and wrapped in electrical tape to prevent corrosion and grounding. The high beam is the white/green wire and the low beam is the white/blue wire.

"A resistor is a one way flow so it keeps power moving only in the direction you want."NEGATIVE Mr. hellguy. A resistor will conduct when installed either direction. Resistors are NOT polarity sensitive devises. Diodes ARE polarity sensitive. Please do your homework before you post here again. Many of the guys who come here to seek advice might believe every word that's printed here. Some don't. You could have researched your facts before you published.

BTW, how is that electrical tape working for you, as far as water proofing goes?
post #17 of 17 Old 09-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

he's got ya there, @hellguy

you can tell a whole lot about someone's credibility based upon the quality of their ( highly important in a "wet engine-bay", as FCA consider the wrangler's to be...)waterproofing ;
i must add that electric tape just aint gonna swing it around here... no bueno

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode