parking brake randomly ON - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ronjenx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

parking brake randomly ON

hey. as the title says, sometimes the parking brake lamp will come ON randomly... it will stay ON for a while, sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes a couple of minutes, and then it will come OFF.... this will go on all day, and has been like this for the past week.... when it is ON and i pull the brake, the lamp will blink intermittently....

where should i start looking for the cause??

thanx!!

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 AM
Rock God

On most cars it means a low fluid situation. Look at the master cylinder and see hoe much fluid is there. If it is low, barring a leak, you probably need to start looking at doing your brakes. I would look at it sooner rather than later, simply because you don't want to grind the pads into the rotors.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 AM
Rock God

The light has two functions.
It indicates the parking brake is applied.
It indicates a brake system fault.

Make sure there is nothing preventing the brake lever from being all the way down.
Check the brake fluid level.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Rock God

yea you are low on brake fluid, probably because you need new pads.

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
yea you are low on brake fluid, probably because you need new pads.
. . . and if you decide to replace the pads, (attach a hose and) open the bleeder screw before you collapse each caliper (then close the bleeder) so you don't push your dirtiest brake fluid / moisture / rust / bad shit back upstream.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but brake fluid is waaay cheaper and easier to replace than any other part of the brake system.
Also, being hygroscopic, that brake fluid should be changed out at least as often as the pads (more often is great, & that shit's cheap).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
. . . and if you decide to replace the pads, (attach a hose and) open the bleeder screw before you collapse each caliper (then close the bleeder) so you don't push your dirtiest brake fluid / moisture / rust / bad shit back upstream.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but brake fluid is waaay cheaper and easier to replace than any other part of the brake system.
Also, being hygroscopic, that brake fluid should be changed out at least as often as the pads (more often is great, & that shit's cheap).

DAMN,ExWrench . I guess I didn't understand the correct frequency of swapping out dot4 brake fluid was called-for ; that info may have just inadvertently helped me understand why I have less than stellar performance from new EBC pads and rotors ... So, nope; you weren't stating the obvious at all..I have changed pads about 4x on the '11 w/ 80k on it but only bled / changed out the brake fluid once. thanks for alerting me to my negligence. I knew the water degraded the bf but have neglected mine , from what you just said. Thanks

srry, OP . No hijack attempt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-19-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: apologies to OP for usin his thread 'bout my jeep
post #7 of 9 Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 AM
Rock God

Personally I believe in flushing the brake system out on a 2 year rotation. I have seen people have to do major rebuilds or replacement of high dollar braking system components because of not maintaining it. Moisture will tear a breaking system up and degrade the living hell out of breaking force. Water will compress to an extent where as Hydraulic fluid will not.

Same goes for cooling systems as well. As Antifreeze breaks down it will start to eat away at components in the cooling system. You will get galvanic corrosion because of all the dis similar metals in the Internal combustion engines.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-20-2016, 04:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
Water will compress to an extent where as Hydraulic fluid will not.
It's not that the water compresses. It's that water will turn to vapor when heated in the braking system. The vapor is what compresses.
Wiggles likes this.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #9 of 9 Old 08-27-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx!!

as stated, my brake fluid level was too low. i filled the deposit and the light has not turned on again.

i will now check to see if the pads are worn out... they are not making any noise or anything, and i have not noticed any decrease in braking strenght, but i tow a boat a lot, so i will definitely check on the pads and fluid more often...

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode