lights lights lights??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
lights lights lights???

lights are on my shortlist

so anyone have any experience with the 55 watt kc apollo light series?

im thinkin i would run 4 driving and 1 spot in the middle. ive always loved the look of lights across the windsheild.

seems like they are reasonably priced on q-tech 82 for a system pair

or for 112 go with 100 watt daylighters but only do 4.

what does the 55 and the 100 watt have to do with it all what does it change?
glare with driving lights above the hood?

what do yall think.

i want to get the lightbar next and save back up for lights but i just want to make sure about everything before i do anything.

ive never wired anything except my pc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Rock God

Corey,

Why not go with HID? More light with less wattage plus they're just plain cool.

Check out this special I posted earlier today:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32903

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #3 of 30 Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Rock God

HID's rock and the HIDx customer service it the best. I have two 7" Hidx on my bumper and don't need the windshield ones. I only put them there because I had them prior to getting the Hidx. I don't have any night shots, but they are super bright.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM Offroad View Post
Corey,

Why not go with HID? More light with less wattage plus they're just plain cool.

Check out this special I posted earlier today:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32903

James
that is a smokin deal!!! but its more than i want to spend for the setup.

i was thinkin how does he know my name and then i remembered haha thanks again they were good

would i need to run a 2nd battery for them?and can you jsut like buy a battery and make abracket in the back to hold it and hook em up. or does it need to be attached to the alternator?

nice jeep!!!

post #5 of 30 Old 07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Rock God

A second battery is not neccessary but you might want to look into upgrading your stock battery to handle the load of added electronics. Especially if you plan on running the lights a lot, winching, etc...

Let me know when you're ready for lights and I'll get you setup in the right direction.

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #6 of 30 Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM
JKO Addict!

The watts are well...watts

brightness and amp draw higher watt = brighter and higher amp draw.

HIDs are nice, I am running 5 Harbor Frieght ones on a custom bar

(I would have ran some higher brand HID but I am poor )

The great thing about HID is the brightness per watt makes most anything look like a joke. The bad thing about HID is a slightly slower full brigness time and they do not like to be flashed on and off.

I would get a better battery...or fuck it and use the lights as an excuse to get a dual battery setup
Remember to wire them correctly, fused and I recomend running them off a relay.
Mine are wired to switch outer 2, middle 2 and just the single center.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

that is a nice setup you got there doc. what size lights are those they look BIG

im not quite sure how i want to do them 4 or 5.i dont really want hids i would prefer halogens.

post #8 of 30 Old 07-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
im not quite sure how i want to do them 4 or 5.i dont really want hids i would prefer halogens.
Gotta say, this I find to be very odd. Is that because of the price? Or the size? Most people want the most light possible at the best price possible. HIDx lights are an affordable way to have both...

HIDs give out more light then most of the halogens, and easier on your electrical system than halogens... I'm running 9 HID lights on my jeep (I had the old ones, so why not use em ), and my stock electrical system easily handles it. The HIDx lights have an internal ballast (so it's the same as wiring a halogen light) and are very affordable.

The 4 100w daylighters will cost just slightly less than what the 7" HIDs will cost, and be more of an issue on your electrical system. The 7" lights I tested were reaching over 500 yards on my rifle range.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #9 of 30 Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Arrow

TBP -

I understand your request, but i believe you will regret not going HID's.

I have the KC Slimlight Long Range on my windshield pillar's and yes they are bright, but i regret not getting HID's. If i had to do it all over again, I'd go HID's.

Just wait and save till you have enough money. Do it right the first fime

You can check and look for Karn's rig before he had the snorkle and he had a warrior light bar with 5 KC lights on it. It was a pretty good set up, but again... put HID's on it.
post #10 of 30 Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

the main reason i dont want hids is because i just cant justify 4 or 5 lights at 129 each.

post #11 of 30 Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
TBP -

I understand your request, but i believe you will regret not going HID's.

I have the KC Slimlight Long Range on my windshield pillar's and yes they are bright, but i regret not getting HID's. If i had to do it all over again, I'd go HID's.

Just wait and save till you have enough money. Do it right the first fime

You can check and look for Karn's rig before he had the snorkle and he had a warrior light bar with 5 KC lights on it. It was a pretty good set up, but again... put HID's on it.
ive got kc slimlights on my windshield and while theyre not HIDs, i love them. theyre plenty bright enough for me and didnt break the bank.

maybe venom will chime in here. he's got plenty experience with lights

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
the main reason i dont want hids is because i just cant justify 4 or 5 lights at 129 each.
The thing is, you don't need 4 or 5 HID lights (I have more, but I have them for very specific reasons & situations). I would be surprised if you needed more than 2. It really depends on what you're looking for the lights to do. But the light output is crazy. And the 7" ones will light up shit out at 500 yards in a wide driving beam depending on how their aimed.

If a couple of those are not enough light, at that point I would suspect that you have something very specific you're looking to attain, and that you know exactly how you plan to attain it.

Anyway I'm not trying to force you into something you don't want, I just want to ensure that you have all the info to make an informed decision before laying down some cash.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #13 of 30 Old 07-16-2010, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

He's not douing it for NEED he's doing it for LOOKS. If I were him, I wouldn't even bother wiring them up lol.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-16-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

lol i like the way lights above the windsheild looks i blame the jurassic park movie.
but i figure 4 lights:2 long 2 driving or 5: 3 spot and 2 driving.

any experience with the kc apollo series,delta 150s or the rugged ridge lights?

post #15 of 30 Old 07-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Rock God

I certainly do understand the cost difference of the HID's but if you can ever swing it, they are MUCH MUCH better. Maybe start with halogens and switch out to HID's down the road sometime. I really like the look of (5) top lights too.... as you can see...

Here's my current setup.

Here's my Rubicon that I sold.

Ben Hedrick
Projects:
2011 6.4L VVT SRT8 HEMI Rubicon

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep

post #16 of 30 Old 07-18-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

both of those rigs are SICK!!!

post #17 of 30 Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

The formula for calculating Amps from Watts is I=P/E, where I = Amps, P = Watts and E = Volts. So five 55W halogen lights draws ~23 Amps, five 100W halogen lights = ~42 Amps, while five 35W HID lights would draw only ~14.6 Amps.

All things being equal, more Amps = more light, so a 100W halogen will be brighter than a 55W halogen. But HID's use different construction to provide more light with less power, so a 35W HID will be brighter than a 100W halogen while consuming less power than the halogen.

As your Amp draw increases, so must the ratings of all the components, such as relays, sockets and wiring. Assuming you have to run 10ft of wire, (wire length also matters), you would need to use 6AWG wire for 5x100W lights, 8AWG for 5x55W, and only 10AWG for 5x35W. I use the chart at this web site for figuring wire size: http://www.windsun.com/Hardware/Wire_Table.htm. From personal experience I can tell you that working with 10AWG is difficult enough, being the limit of all crimp-on connector's I've seen and tough to solder. I've run some 6AWG to the back of the Jeep for an Inverter and power outlet and I had a hell of a time soldering the connections.

As for battery capacity, it shouldn't even be a factor when adding lights, as you wouldn't want to exceed the alternator's capacity for more than a few minutes. Depending on your year and model JK, your alternator puts out either 140 or 160 Amps at 2,000RPM, and the engine, standard electronics and stuff draw around 30-40Amps, so you have around 100Amps reserve capacity in the alternator. If you exceed this draw you will then start tapping on the battery, which can rather quickly become depleted. You can add a second battery -- and if you do it needs to be tied-in to the charging system with a dual battery charger/isolator -- but this only extends the time before both batteries go dead. You shouldn't design a lighting system that exceeds the output of your alternator.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #18 of 30 Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i didnt know there was a formula for this stuff.

how much is the volts i think i missed that.

this will come in handy

post #19 of 30 Old 07-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
i didnt know there was a formula for this stuff.

how much is the volts i think i missed that.

this will come in handy
There's even more sparky stuff here:
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25168
ROOT

post #20 of 30 Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
There's even more sparky stuff here:
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25168
ROOT
read thru that twice and once i get to the diagram my mind jsut goes boom and thinks uhh i still dont get it.

i gots plenty of ppl that do know tho

post #21 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
lights are on my shortlist
so anyone have any experience with the 55 watt kc apollo light series?
I would say just go with the KC Apollo lights. I rarely see bad reviews of KC lights, and it sounds like you don't have a specific task you want them to perform other than look good. I wouldn't buy the HIDs for the price if all I was going for was a nice clean light bar either.

Another reason I can't justify the cost of the HIDs is I don't think I will ever need to see out 500 yards for any reason, ESPECIALLY at trail speeds (well, maybe at the mall). I went with IPF 960s and have yet to put the 100w bulbs in cuz the 55w have been such a big improvement (they came with a set of both). And I bought them because I liked the look of them the best, no other reason.

If you do want to get a light that will perform a specific task, and I mean brightly, by all means, save your duckets and go HID from HIDx (I hear great things aboot them).
post #22 of 30 Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by prazbotta View Post
I don't think I will ever need to see out 500 yards for any reason, ESPECIALLY at trail speeds (well, maybe at the mall).
Now that's an ignorant comment. Not everyone who wants light and is willing to spend some money for it, is a mall crawler.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #23 of 30 Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Now that's an ignorant comment. Not everyone who wants light and is willing to spend some money for it, is a mall crawler.
Nice, you went the other way with that. It was a jab at myself for not having a trail worthy rig, but I guess it could be interpreted both ways.

I definitely did not intend to insult anyone else. Sorry if I offended.
/hijack
post #24 of 30 Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by prazbotta View Post
Nice, you went the other way with that. It was a jab at myself for not having a trail worthy rig, but I guess it could be interpreted both ways.

I definitely did not intend to insult anyone else. Sorry if I offended.
/hijack
fair enough.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #25 of 30 Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
JKO Addict!

TBP
Check these out
http://www.harborfreight.com/off-roa...stem-3029.html

cheap, and they havent let me down yet.
I run these and a set of Hella 500's on the widshield. The Harbor freight lights are actually brighter than the Hellas that cost 5x as much (go figure)
For starter lights to toss some light out in front of you when you need it they are great. Now dont go prerunning with them but for trail rides they do the job

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode