2011 JKU - won't start if shut down when the cooling fan is running - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-15-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

2011 JKU - won't start if shut down when the cooling fan is running

Need ideas? When running trails in 4 low, the minute the cooling fan kicks on I hear the chime similar to what you'd hear when your seatbelt is not fastened. When the fan cycles onto high speed, every light on the dash comes on and stays on until the cooling fan cycles off. The real challenge is if I shut the engine off while the cooling fan is on high speed and the dash is all lit up, the Jeep will not restart.

I've discovered moving the Jeep such that the tires rotate a couple of times appears to clear the issue and the Jeep starts fine (got lucky rolling back off an obstacle to discover that)!

Jeep has a 5.7 VVT Hemi conversion (Burnsville Offload) - Getrag 238 manual transmission. I spoke to Dan at Easter Safari and he recommended trying to run an additional ground strap from the engine to the firewall. I've done this along with inspect the other grounds locations on the fender, etc... All grounds are clean and secure. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

Being a conversion and you say it only happens with the fan i would check the amp draw on the fan itself. Most fans are grounded by the relay via the pcm or ecu. It's possible you have a voltage drop on the positive side causing excessive amperage. Also check the relay I have seen funky things with relays that get moisture in them. It's kinda hard to diagnose without actually being there to see it. See if it starts when the fan comes on then quickly disconnect it before shutting off ? Good luck it shouldn't be too hard being it's narrowed down to the fan.

2010 jk 2dr 3.5 in lift synergy c/arms synergy high steer RPM fab tierod Dynatrac pro rock front 5:13s cooper stt 37s eaton e locker adv adapters rubicrawler adams driveshafts bilsteins. Bestop trektop pro poisen spyder tire carrier VKS stubby rear bumper VKS fab stubby front. Pure jeep sliders yaesu ftm400. Shit I forgot the rest... KK6WIT
post #3 of 5 Old 07-17-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check both ampreage draw and voltage when the fan kicks on high. A while back, I checked the high speed fan relay behind the driver side headlight and the resistor mounted up high on the passenger side of the radiator when the fan would not cycle on at all. Both were in good order and functioning properly. I was having the same problem then as now, however, the temperature sending unit (black plastic) was bad. I replaced that with a temperature sending unit (brass) for the 2011 5.7VVT engine and the fan has cycled off and on properly since that repair. Jeep lives in Moab, it will be a couple of weeks before I get back down to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I'll check both ampreage draw and voltage when the fan kicks on high. A while back, I checked the high speed fan relay behind the driver side headlight and the resistor mounted up high on the passenger side of the radiator when the fan would not cycle on at all. Both were in good order and functioning properly. I was having the same problem then as now, however, the temperature sending unit (black plastic) was bad. I replaced that with a temperature sending unit (brass) for the 2011 5.7VVT engine and the fan has cycled off and on properly since that repair. Jeep lives in Moab, it will be a couple of weeks before I get back down to check it out.
Let me know what you find out im always curious trying to figure things out.as I do this for a living being a volvo tech.

2010 jk 2dr 3.5 in lift synergy c/arms synergy high steer RPM fab tierod Dynatrac pro rock front 5:13s cooper stt 37s eaton e locker adv adapters rubicrawler adams driveshafts bilsteins. Bestop trektop pro poisen spyder tire carrier VKS stubby rear bumper VKS fab stubby front. Pure jeep sliders yaesu ftm400. Shit I forgot the rest... KK6WIT
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Believe I found the source of my problem - discovered a frayed wire attached to my starter solenoid. Wire came in contact with the exhaust manifold. It eventually blew the 40 amp fuse. Repaired and re-routed the solenoid wire, replaced the fuse and so far the issue has gone away. If it reappears I'll post and let you know - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode