Radiance 50" Blue Back-Light bar thoughts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonboy
  • 2 Post By UnlimiDozer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Question Radiance 50" Blue Back-Light bar thoughts

Was thinking about purchasing a Radiance 50" light bar (SKU: 25001)..reference: rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/25001 ...Radiance 50" Blue Back-Light Surface White Black... | Rigid Industries Radiance 50" Blue Back-Light Surface White Black... | Rigid Industries and was wondering if anyone has experience with this product or line of products? I like the product because the back light color matches my JK.

Was also wondering about the battery performance after installing a light bar. Currently I have do not have any extra accessories like let lights or winch etc. Would it worth going to a dual battery system or a better performance battery?

Thanks in advance!

JeepEkko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Rock God

You don't need to do anything with your battery when adding these lights. You definitely don't need a dual battery! The draw is low and your battery can certainly handle it.

Rigid is one of the top brands for LEDs. I almost bought one of the Radiance series but ended up getting their 50" SR instead. I haven't seen anyone with a Radiance yet as they are new to the market, the price is certainly right and should be great quality. Rigid has lifetime warranties on their stuff and stand behind it - they just replaced one of my D2's that had a burnt out LED.

Just make sure you wire it up correctly, and use a relay. If you don't know how to do this, you'll find a ton of threads here on how to do it, or just ask again and someone can steer you in the right direction.
Josh Wolfe likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Wolfe View Post
Was also wondering about the battery performance after installing a light bar. Currently I have do not have any extra accessories like let lights or winch etc. Would it worth going to a dual battery system or a better performance battery?

Thanks in advance!
No experience with the Rigid you're looking at, but on the battery question, you need to take several things into account. First, what is the actual wattage of your LED bar. From that, you can calculate the current draw like this Power (Watts) = Current (Amps) x Voltage. There's an easier way to remember that formula --> P=IE (easy as pie), where P=Power (Wattage), I=Current (Amperage), and E="Electro-motive force" (Voltage).

Once you know the current draw of the light bar, you can multiply that over time and come up with Amp-hours (abbreviated "Ah" in many battery designations). The Amp-hour rating of your battery will tell you how much load in Amps it can theoretically supply for 1 hour. Then you can calculate proportionally how many hours your battery can supply your lower current load. For instance, if you have a 100 Ah battery, it will theoretically supply 100 amps for 1 hour. If you cut the load by half, you increase the time the battery will last by double, so the same battery should supply a 50 Amp load for 2 hours. But remember that these are theoretical numbers and you'll also have other loads on the battery. Plus, you'll be supplying recharge current from your alternator so that will further alter the real-world figures.

The next question I would address is how much you really intend to use that light bar. My own 50" (288W - draws about 24 Amps - BTW) is rarely used because I'm typically in a group, rarely at the front of the line, and I choose not to blind the folks in front of me. Now when it's on, it's great! But the honest truth is that it's one of the less valuable additions to my rig in terms of amount of use per dollar spent. I think I would actually get more use out of a couple of cube lights at the lower corners of the windshield, but those haven't made the short list yet. My LED headlights, on the other hand -- I totally wish I had done those a few years ago. MORE than worth the money.

For your dual battery setup, there are a few ways you can go about it, but I really like the Genesis Offroad system. If you plan to go that route, plan on spending right at a grand for two batteries and the system. That's for Optima Yellow Tops. I went with Odyssey marine batteries, so it was a bit more than that. That's a chunk of change to lay out just to run a light bar on rare occasions (and that Rigid will be a chunk of change all by itself). But in the long term, if you plan on adding a winch and a lot of other electrical accessories, a dual battery setup is a good addition IMO. It also gives you peace of mind that if you do run a battery down, you have a spare.

So that's not a definite answer, but it's really subjective, and up to you. I hope I have at least given you some information that will help you draw your own conclusions.

Best,

UD
RUCKDOG and Josh Wolfe like this.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2016, 06:12 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Buy a winch first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Buy a winch first.
Definitely.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode