Is the UConnect 130 compatible with USB thumbdrives? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2016, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Is the UConnect 130 compatible with USB thumbdrives?

Just got a 2016 JK Hard Rock with the shitty ol' stock Uconnect 130 head unit. I'm planning to replace it but not for another year or so. In the meantime, I'd like to use it to play music from a thumbdrive stuck into the USB port under the armrest. The problem is, the radio doesn't seem to recognize/see/read/whatever the thumbdrive.

Am I getting this wrong and the radio doesn't support such a function, or what? Perhaps the thumbdrive needs to be formatted to a certain file system? Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Granite Guru

If you have the connectivity package, it should read up to a 32gb drive. If not, then it is just a powered USB port for charging I believe. I have the Willys package that automatically gets the connectivity and can read the USB drive for music.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2016, 10:22 AM
Granite Guru

I have the connectivity package and it works fine. I actually like the head unit.
It does take a while to scan through the thumb drive, but it works and you can use voice search for files on it too like:"play artist disturbed"

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
If you have the connectivity package, it should read up to a 32gb drive. If not, then it is just a powered USB port for charging I believe. I have the Willys package that automatically gets the connectivity and can read the USB drive for music.
I do have the connectivity package (bluetooth, handsfree phone, etc...) but it juts doesn't seem to recognize my drive. It's good to know that it's probably a problem with the drive though; thank you for the help!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
I have the connectivity package and it works fine. I actually like the head unit.
It does take a while to scan through the thumb drive, but it works and you can use voice search for files on it too like:"play artist disturbed"
Do I have to tell it to play Disturbed?

Really though, thanks for the help. I'm glad it's supposed to work and I'm confident it's just a problem with my USB drive.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfrank View Post
Do I have to tell it to play Disturbed?

Really though, thanks for the help. I'm glad it's supposed to work and I'm confident it's just a problem with my USB drive.
Make sure your drive is formated as FAT32, not NTFS. FAT32 seems to be fairly reliable with Uconnect, while NTFS is hit or miss, mostly miss.

~ Dave G. ~
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the Crew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode