Razer Extreme Skull LED Headlights RZJHL-6506 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Razer Extreme Skull LED Headlights RZJHL-6506

I installed the Razer Extreme Skull LED Headlights (RZJHL-6506) on my 2014 JKUR.

So we all know that the stock JK headlights are atrocious, dim, have a terrible beam pattern, & a number of other less than desirable accolades… I live on Maui… there are very few street lights or sky glow around here… there are pigs and deer and I need my headlights to show them too me before one of them decides to jump out in front of me.

I have been reading over the various options for headlight replacement. from Sylvania's, JW Speakers’, KC’s, the H4 housing and replacement, HID units, importing the european OEM headlights, etc. I came across these LED headlights from the internexus one day and I ordered them.

When the box arrived from Amazon I pulled out my phone and started taking pictures… I thought someone was having a laugh at my expense because i was opening Matryoshka (Babushka, nesting) boxes. I had to slice through tape on three boxes until I got to the bubblewrap and headlight units. I included all of the images i took so you can have a laugh too.

A quick inspection & more pictures shows that I have two headlights, a double-sided photocopy piece of paper for the instructions and some of those crappy vampire splice wire connectors that should never find their way on any vehicle that will see the elements. Maui is one of those places on earth, surrounded by the ocean that even the rust here rusts. I will be soldering the two wire connections and using some sealant and heat shrink to reinsulate the daytime running light wires.
Once I got to that step in the instructions I noticed that contrary to the description, on my 2014 JKUR there is no 'Green' wire. My Left side is white with a green stripe and my right side is white with a tan stripe.

More pictures and inspection. these headlights have the SAE and DOT hallmarks on them along with the tech specs on the back.
Low Beam - 20W
High Beam - 20W… interesting
Lens - PolyCarbonate
Housing - ADC (Cast Aluminum)
MADE IN TAIWAN… really? ok… I'll give them a shot.

There are two black resin potted boxes in the wiring. could the main one be an included anti-flicker? I’m not sure what the second potted box is as it connects into the DRL wiring. More on those later.

Then a shot of my JK before and after the install. (phone pictures on different days)

After Driving with these new headlights at night, they do flicker at idle, but just barely. you really need to be looking for any deviation in the amount of light being put out.
the light color, amount and scatter pattern are so much better that the OEM lights.

I’ll be in touch after I’ve had these running for a number of hours to verify their longevity.

Cheers,
Brian

post 2 has the remainder of the images for comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I installed the headlights by the light of my hat brim light once the sky got truly black so that I could get an objective set of images for you to make your own judgement call. I am an avid photographer an I know that the auto exposure on cellphone images or a point and shoot won’t show you any difference. Nor will the marketing images to make you believe that their lights are brighter than they actually are. Minimal photoshop and no camera tricks. I took out my camera & tripod set the ISO to 400, Aperture to 2.8, Shutter speed to 1/15sec and left it locked there. I took my initial images of the stock headlights (the dim yellow ones) both Low beam and High beam, and proceeded to swap the lights. the subsequent pictures are of the badly aimed LED Razer headlights and then once I aimed them up a second set of Low and High beam images. (and I flicked on my LED bar just so you can see the flood of light from 300W of combo-beam 50” goodness!!!

OEM Lights

Before Aiming the new LEDs

After Proper Aim

300W LED Bar
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6BLfKfKDfhg/V3X0pNsR8zI/AAAAAAAABYw/X7_0NQyraNMVcGy5nRQYe0kCN0JuL-0LACCo/s912/07%2BJK%2BRigid%2B50inch.JPG[IMG]
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Oops... the link failed for the Light Bar image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2017, 06:08 PM

So do you still have these lights? Like um? Would you buy them again? I'm thinking about them for my 2016 JKU. Any flicker issues?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2017, 06:03 AM
Wheeler

Garage

So do you like what you have now for the price you paid? The white color is pretty much a given as to a yes but was it what you expected or did you expect much more? I'm curious because I will be changing my lights soon on my 2016 JKU and searching on the best lights out there because I hate buying twice for the same thing...

~

Mario

“Aerodynamics is for people who don't know how to build engines.” - Enzo Ferrari
“AMG, it’s not a car, it’s an Animal, you don't drive it, you cling on for dear life.” - Jeremy Clarkson

"I can go fast ^ Now I can go anywhere..." - Jeep
"The Jeep is the only true American sports car" - Enzo Ferrari
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 AM

Any updates on these headlights?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Update

Hi everybody,

I still have these lights on my rig. I do like them A LOT over the original candles-in-a-jar.
I would definitely recommend them for those of us that live in warmer climates. let me quantify that statement. these headlights are LED. as such they convert 80-90% of the energy input into light, much less into heat. this means that during the winter, your LED headlights could potentially freeze up / ice over. as the weather in HI is fairly consistent and not below freezing, i cannot scientifically state that this will occur.

I would buy them again, and i do feel that they are great headlights for the money.
don't be surprised if people flash their headlights at you thinking you have your high beams on. there are a couple scatter pattern anomalies that the reflectors create. One being that out your side windows, maybe at a 10deg forward sweep and 50deg up, you can see a beam of light that illuminates the tops of telephone poles... not a problem, but just interesting. if I ever open these headlights up, I will paint the offending chrome surface flat black.

I see no fogging or moisture condensation in these lights and they do get torrential tropical storm rains every year... we don't talk about the hurricanes of Hawaii... everyone thinks the weather is always perfect here.

I will try to be more active here to answer questions.

Aloha
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

PDF Installation Instructions``

It seems that from time to time the Installation Printout is not included in the Shipment with the headlights...

Please find the attached PDF of the installation sheet I received with mine. It helps with the install, but not by much. I still used a Digital multimeter to figure out which wires to tap for the DRLs in the Headlights.

Aloha,
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Razer Extreme LED Headlights (RZJHL-6506).pdf (2.10 MB, 124 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode