Back-Up Camera for OEM Touch Screen NAV Unit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RUCKDOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-24-2016, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Back-Up Camera for OEM Touch Screen NAV Unit

Good Morning JK Owners,

I just got my 2014 Sahara two days ago, I love it so far...

I live in NY and will often be parellel parking, Is there a plug in back-up camera that i can purchase for the oem radio?

Also how do i attach my bluetooth phone, I click the radio option and try to touch the AUX on the screen but it's not highlighted.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Wheeler

Subscribed for info. Just got a 16 JKU Rubicon. I would like a backup camera.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I subscribed as well... Would love one.

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-26-2016, 07:06 AM

I haven't done it yet. Just been reading other peoples posts. Navtv.com seems to be a popular choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 Old 06-27-2016, 04:51 AM
Wheeler

I haven't done it yet but reading through here it seems like you can buy a camera off amazon ( which plugs in the back of the factory radio ) run power to it, then have the dealership " flash " your jeep to activate this feature. 430N backup camera
post #6 of 18 Old 06-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have the Brandmotion camera on mine. I have been trying to sell it (just installed on a 16 JKU about 8 weeks ago) to get a model with the guide lines. Mine is just a camera.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
I have the Brandmotion camera on mine. I have been trying to sell it (just installed on a 16 JKU about 8 weeks ago) to get a model with the guide lines. Mine is just a camera.
Hmmmmm......I just installed the brandmotion camera and I have guidelines. There should be a wire near the camera you can cut. Download the install directions, the wire is identified on the last page. I'll bet your installer connected the wires.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #8 of 18 Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Wheeler

not sure there is a version with the Guidelines - searching still

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
post #9 of 18 Old 07-11-2016, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoZero View Post
not sure there is a version with the Guidelines - searching still
Let me just quote myself.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCKDOG View Post
Hmmmmm......I just installed the brandmotion camera and I have guidelines.
coilrod likes this.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #10 of 18 Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Hmmmmm......I just installed the brandmotion camera and I have guidelines. There should be a wire near the camera you can cut. Download the install directions, the wire is identified on the last page. I'll bet your installer connected the wires.
RUCKDOG... This is the one I bought. When I contacted Brandmotion, they said there was a different item with the guidelines and I couldn't get them on mine.

Jeep Wrangler Backup Camera for Factory & Aftermarket Displays Exclusively from Brandmotion

Is this the one you have?
post #11 of 18 Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Granite Guru

My 2012 has the 430N. I bought a lockpick and JUST installed a camera. I don't like or have much luck with dealerships so I did it the expensive way...Lol...

I wanted the other features of the lockpick so I didn't mind the expense.

I...er, I mean my passenger can watch DVDs or type in an address while moving.

I can also have the backup camera on while driving forward. This is useful for changing lanes in a city full of idiots. I will also use it 4 wheeling. We make sure we can see the person behind us, that way no one gets lost or left behind. This makes it much easier...
post #12 of 18 Old 07-26-2016, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
RUCKDOG... This is the one I bought. When I contacted Brandmotion, they said there was a different item with the guidelines and I couldn't get them on mine.

Jeep Wrangler Backup Camera for Factory & Aftermarket Displays Exclusively from Brandmotion

Is this the one you have?
Um....sorry no, this is the one I have. My bust.

Adjustable Jeep Wrangler Backup Camera for Factory & Aftermarket Displays Exclusively from Brandmotion

Got to say I love it...so does my wife, even though she hates to drive the jeep.

post #13 of 18 Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Um....sorry no, this is the one I have. My bust.

Adjustable Jeep Wrangler Backup Camera for Factory & Aftermarket Displays Exclusively from Brandmotion

Got to say I love it...so does my wife, even though she hates to drive the jeep.
I wish I had done more research before I bought it AND paid an outrageous price for the touchscreen stereo upgrade (mine only came with the 130 RES). I've seen OEM-style touchscreen stereo with nav and backup camera with guidelines for less than half what I paid total. Ugh... This is what happens when you A) trust that your dad knows what he's doing in regards to research and B) jump on something before doing enough research.

With that being said, I am getting used to mine without the guidelines, so unless I can sell both parts for what I can buy the other one for, I'm just going to keep what I've got and wallow in the price I paid.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Rock God

tons of threads on this very topic, search and you shall find.

lockpick and NAV-TV are two after-market devices that work well. I have a NAV-TV on my 2012 JKUR. You can also get the dealership to flash your unit to activate the camera input. NAV-TV is pretty straightforward to install. You don't need an expensive camera, a simple VGA one works as the limiting factor on resolution is your head unit, not the camera.

For bluetooth I think you need the Uconnect module, but not sure. Good luck.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Wheeler

Alpine Restyle

Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA is designed to work with aftermarket in dash screens but the marketing stuff looks like it will work with the OEM screen.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!

DIY tips...

I am in the middle of slowly getting my backup camera installed and working.

First I picked up this handy adapter harness through Amazon for the factory head unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XBNDY/

Then I hacked up the cable to cut out everything that I do not need and it now looks like this. I just need to solder everything up. The orange wire connects to the yellow wire and the black to the gray.

Though the adapter harness is well marked and you can figure out the video inputs and outputs pretty easily, I did find this video to be a handy reference to get a look at the back of the radio.

The local dealer wants $75 to enable the camera using the StarScan system.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Nice and Awesome !

2017 wrangler 4dr rubi
post #18 of 18 Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Wheeler

Garage

While it may be "cleaner" to cut out all the extra harness wires, etc, I didn't. I may want to add other option in future, so I left my entire harness intact and just wrapped it up and tucked it out of the way. Wrapped the hard ends in foam to prevent rattles. It seems backwards when you do it this way, because the video cable is in the other end of the harness that just dangles, but it's all tied together and works just fine.

I convinced the dealer to reflash it for free, since I bought the Jeep from them (used); so I'm into a factory backup camera for under $40!!

2016 JKUR on 35s

History- 90 XJ, 98 TJ, 98 ZJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode