Dual Battery Tray wiring questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Dual Battery Tray wiring questions

I have the KISS dual battery tray with two yellow top Optima batteries with the side terminals. These have yet to have been wired in yet. I am wondering if it is possible to wire the stock radio and stock speakers to the battery I will be using as my "accesories" battery. I would be running four kc slimlites, a ti9500 winch, and the sstock radio and speakers off of the "accesory" battery. Leaving the other battery strictly to my fogs, DRL's, headlights, and starting slash all other stock stuff. The reason I am wanting to do this is so that if I am at the beach with my stereo on and my battery dies, ill still be able to start up and head on out at the end of the day. Can this be done, idk if the CANNBUS would affect this or not, im a noob with wiring. Probably gonna have a shop do it, IF it can be done. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yes you sure could. You would need to unhook all the factory radio connections and run the new radio directly to the battery and run all new speaker wires

www.jeepasylum.com
post #3 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

would you say that'd be "relatively" easy and cheap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think it would be easy if you know what your doing. Here is a fairly generic schematic. Youll need to run new wires to each speaker (I would just unplug the old and leave them in place) Then hook up your power, ground, and acc wires and youll be cooking with grease

www.jeepasylum.com
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

If it's just the four kc slimlites, a ti9500 winch, and the sstock radio and speakers you intend to run off of the "accesory" battery, I have to ask, Why rewire the radio? I understand you want to run your radio while at the beach and don't want to run down the starter battery. I assume you don't intend to run your slimlites or winch while listening to the radio, correct? Well, as I understand it the system the batteries are connected together once obtaining proper voltage. Once it falls below this voltage they are isolated and the primary is charged.

So... leave your radio on the primary, once the voltage drops the batteries are separated, with your radio on it continues to drain the primary... if at the end of the day it won't crank... use your second battery... reconnect, use a jumper, OR (if I'm not mistaken) I thought there was an optional feature that once selected manually combined the two batteries.

EDIT... (FOUND IT)...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=21098&page=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
Benchmark sells an optional Booster switch which you use to boost the main battery with the auxiliary battery (I ordered mine with the booster switch). It's basically a bypass for the solenoid. Or you can boost one battery with the other with booster cables. The Booster switch eliminates the need for booster cables.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by maverick; 07-08-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode