5Likes
  • 2 Post By coilrod
  • 1 Post By BumpInTheRoad
  • 1 Post By Ronson
  • 1 Post By ChuckTheRipper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-17-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

LED Headlights For JKU

I was looking at switching out my stock headlights for some LEDs or a similar type of kit from eBay but had a few questions beforehand...

Do you think it is worthwhile switching out for LEDs? I have heard mixed reviews from different people, and some still swear by HID headlights being better...

Do you think LEDs will be as bright? I've also heard there's a slight fuel efficiency saving from LEDs but not sure if I put too much stock in that...what do you reckon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-17-2016, 03:49 AM
Wheeler

I love my LED headlights. Super bright, power saving and very cool looking. I don't think they save any fuel tho lol.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstock990k View Post
I was looking at switching out my stock headlights for some LEDs or a similar type of kit from eBay but had a few questions beforehand...

Do you think it is worthwhile switching out for LEDs? I have heard mixed reviews from different people, and some still swear by HID headlights being better...

Do you think LEDs will be as bright? I've also heard there's a slight fuel efficiency saving from LEDs but not sure if I put too much stock in that...what do you reckon?

exhaustively discussed here and other forums, here is definitive link from which the Admin's got Doc's "Full Article Here"posted for you to get schooled on the bright, shiny things that can cost too much sometimes.....

if i were to condense the "camps" ( & this is subjective just like the lighting itself) , it seems to boil down to [1] I don't care to spend more money or about lighting so much thus the OEM yellow , wimpy ,H13s are the least of my concerns/will suffice for now [2], I saw the _________ brand of new LEDs and they are the look and performance I want to pay $300 a light for ,[3] I like those name-brand LEDs that cost as much as a drive shaft or a couple of tires but China makes similar knock-offs so I will run those, flicker be damned! , [4] HID is the best and only way to go ; gimme ballast and projected white light and I will burn my way thru life illuminating the world as I aim my Jeep! & [5] old school purists that have discovered RallyLights and /or made their own conversion to H4 bulbs with Eurospec glass lenses, a harness and replaceable bulbs.

That statement opens me up to a lambasting but I don't mind & again, it is just my take on the overall headlight divisions.....

read up, mate. You'll be educated but still not be able to decide wtf headlights to get, lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

Around here, the government likes to check on stuff. Like mudflaps and headlights.
So I went dot legal jw speaker.
One of my favorite mods.(Holy $hit pricey tho.)
I like the light colour and pattern in rain, snow and hail. Except I made up the hail one for dramatic effect.
RUCKDOG and j3ff3ry_j33p like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #5 of 18 Old 05-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Short story: I put in an H4 wiring harness and lights with 100/80W bulbs and it was a huge improvement. Less than $200 invested. But I kept breaking headlight lenses for some reason.

This time I was considering biting the bullet and going with J.W. Speaker. I'd compared the JWS to my H4's and the J.W.S. were a bit nicer light pattern and a bit brighter. Not 3x better to match the 3x price, but since I was replacing my H4 headlights once a year due to breakage, I figure the J.W.S would pay for themselves in 4-5 years plus save me from needing to fuck with the headlights every again.

But while searching for deals I came across Chinese clones of the J.W.S. for around $200. Good reviews. I figured I'd give them a try. Have had them for 2 months now and I'm satisfied. They have a weird, square hotspot in the middle of the road. But that hotspot actually works out well for illuminating distance. They also have halos with turn switchback function so I can pretend I'm a ricer while driving the Jeep.

We'll see how they last, but I feel like I've got my money's worth.
newmango likes this.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #6 of 18 Old 08-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I'm also looking. I just got a 2016 JKRU after having the same model but an '08. Love the new one but the headlights are still lacking.

The above mentioned thread was great but the choice I wanted is no longer available. ( Rebel HID conversion)

So does anyone know of a similar performance upgrade without the expense of the full on replacements?

Has anyone tried LED replacement bulbs similar to these? https://www.auxbeam.com/driving-light/88621858
post #7 of 18 Old 08-07-2016, 05:59 AM
Rock God

90% of my wheeling is done @ night, and I also have astigmatism in my eyes so seeing at night is especially hard. I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013YS0I6A?psc=1
These.
I bought them when they first came out and paid around $300, I think you can get them for a little over $100 now. They also have a similar set that is dot approved. The jw speaker knockoffs are awesome too. 2 years ago I could almost understand dishing out the $ for jw speakers, but now there's so many options for dirt cheap I couldn't imagine paying for them. Kinda like rigid vs the knockoff lightbars.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Granite Guru

On you-tube Headlight Revolution has a test on most of the 7" LED headlights that are available. The results mostly showed that you get what you pay for...

That said they are a company that sells headlights so decide for yourself. I have the JW Speaker Evolution J and to me they were worth it.
cody48 likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Wheeler

I have the Quadratec LED headlights on mine and I have to say that it is the most useful mod that I have done (beside the trailer hitch receiver) to my Jeep. Read the reviews and go with one of the major LED headlight manufactures out there and you can't go wrong
post #10 of 18 Old 08-14-2016, 06:27 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Bump - What brand conversion did you try? I'm actually leaning more in the H4 conversion by Hella direction than anything else at this point.

Tony- Tell us more about the Q's. There's no review on the stealth version I saw on their front page. How bright? Pattern? Do they flicker?
post #11 of 18 Old 08-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Granite Guru

I second the Quadratec LED headlights. They have the most natural spread with a nice cutoff so after you aim them you don't blind on coming drivers. Most of the other brands have a really bright hot spot in the center and almost nothing at the edges of the road. Deer are an issue where I live, so good width is important to me too. I didn't care for the big "Q" emblem in the center, so I got their Stealth model. I think the part number is 97109.0003
post #12 of 18 Old 08-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
90% of my wheeling is done @ night, and I also have astigmatism in my eyes so seeing at night is especially hard. I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013YS0I6A?psc=1
These.
I bought them when they first came out and paid around $300, I think you can get them for a little over $100 now. They also have a similar set that is dot approved. The jw speaker knockoffs are awesome too. 2 years ago I could almost understand dishing out the $ for jw speakers, but now there's so many options for dirt cheap I couldn't imagine paying for them. Kinda like rigid vs the knockoff lightbars.

really? Like, rock crawling wheeling or desert, sand-dune with LED whips wheeling? no sarcasm;I have just never heard anyone say that before to that degree ...or is it just that the name 'XXXXthe Ripper' is synonymous with the nighttime, heh...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-16-2016, 03:27 AM
Rock God

Lol. Well most of my wheeling is all done at a place 10 minutes from my house called Wellsville, Ohio. I definitely prefer daytime but by the time people are done getting their stuff ready it's 7pm or so. We usually end up getting done around 5 in the morning..
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-16-2016, 03:30 AM
Rock God

And we usually ride bikes in the daytime; then come back at night in jeeps. I wouldn't quite call it rock crawling nor desert racing per Se, More like heavy trail riding and hill climbing/ rock crawling- ledge bouncing, lol.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

really? Like, rock crawling wheeling or desert, sand-dune with LED whips wheeling? no sarcasm;I have just never heard anyone say that before to that degree ...or is it just that the name 'XXXXthe Ripper' is synonymous with the nighttime, heh...

Anybody else able to attest to the quality of this brand on Amazon, worth the $$? Anybody by chance have a picture comparison during night driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 18 Old 09-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Granite Guru

I just installed my J W Speaker headlights today. Best price for these lights is Amazon. over $100.00 less!
They are not knock offs.. they are the real deal. Easy to install. I may need to point them down another 3 degrees.
They are extremely bright. If you get the J W Speaker 8700 J it's easy plug and play. They are durable enough for going off road. An unlike HID bulbs you don't need a ballast.

They look great even when not lit!

The photo was taken with a fast exposure because the lights are bright.. the
half halo light pipe lights up 100%... the fast exposure just caught it partially lit.

The scatter is great with these lights. I may not need trail lights!
post #17 of 18 Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNate View Post
I'm also looking. I just got a 2016 JKRU after having the same model but an '08. Love the new one but the headlights are still lacking.

The above mentioned thread was great but the choice I wanted is no longer available. ( Rebel HID conversion)

So does anyone know of a similar performance upgrade without the expense of the full on replacements?

Has anyone tried LED replacement bulbs similar to these? https://www.auxbeam.com/driving-light/88621858
I have. And in short, they suck. The problem is that OEM lenses, (and other lenses designed for globes), are designed for light coming from a filament. These sort of LED 'globes' emit it from a patch. As a result most of it is not focused correctly, meaning that the cutoff is even worse, and the light throw is worse and the glare for other drivers is terrible.

I threw them away & bought some RHD JW Speakers.

I went through several options. Starting with OEM, then OEM with +100 globes, +100 with freeform reflector inserts, those inserts with LED 'globes', finally to JW Speaker. Didn't bother with HID since, although many Down Under do use them, there are regulations that cover legality which are often enforced by the police and I just couldn't be bothered worrying about that. On the gripping hand, I have an HID installed in my bike's lowbeam and love it, but since the bike's headlight is specific to the model, I can't replace it with an aftermarket reflector.

Doc's Headlight Shootout is well worth the read! His standardised setup & measurements of light throw are very illuminating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-30-2016, 12:00 PM

Curious if anyone has had any issues with the JWS lights in the winter? I have heard that since there is no heat from the LED they freeze up when it is snowing. How about the Trucklite heated LED's anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode