Jeep won't turn over - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Jeep won't turn over

Good afternoon everyone!
New to these forums, but not new to our love of jeeps.
I am more active on the Jeepforum but have since upgraded to a 2007 Jeep JK.
It's sitting at 100560 miles, and its the lovely 6 speed.

This morning I tried smoking the JK and was told it would not pass due to the aftermarket part of the Volo performance chip.
The Jeep came with it so I never thought much of it. I got home and took it off by just cutting the wires that connected it to the OBDII reader.

Now, the jeep won't start or turn over. The dash will turn on and so will the radio, my lights, etc. the front fan will also turn on and eventually shut down, but the actually jeep won't turn on.

There is a clicking sound coming from the fuse box and the fuse that turns on is M6. It has a red little light on it that turns on every time i try to turn the jeep over. Also, I tried to use my OBDII reader to see if it would shoot me some codes or not, but there is no power going to it.

So... im kind of stuck in what to do or what not to do. I have a buddy who's a little more advance than I am when it comes to electrical issues, and he mentioned it may be the ECU. Since, the performance chip does have a light for the ECU.

Any help or ideas would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

is there a way to "deprogram" the VOLO programmer from the ECU?

Think you might need to go to the dealer and get the ecu reflashed back to factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I called VOLO and they said there was no need to deprogram. Since, the way they are programmed is to just follow their diagrams according to the OBD pins. I also, asked if by taking it off if there was suppose to be issues with the jeep and it starting, and they said there shouldn't be. Any other suggestions?
I don't mind taking it to the Dealership, especially since its right around the corner from my house, but if its something I can take care of I'd rather do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Rock God

Check for blown fuses. If you cut the wires something may have shorted out, particularly if you cut them all at once.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Check for blown fuses. If you cut the wires something may have shorted out, particularly if you cut them all at once.
I've checked the fuses and they all seem to be in good shape. I also checked the ones for the relay to my lights and lockers and they all seem to be doing good. Any particular one I should be looking at?
post #6 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Cornejo View Post
Good afternoon everyone!

This morning I tried smoking the JK and was told it would not pass due to the aftermarket part of the Volo performance chip.
The Jeep came with it so I never thought much of it. I got home and took it off by just cutting the wires that connected it to the OBDII reader.

Now, the jeep won't start or turn over. The dash will turn on and so will the radio, my lights, etc. the front fan will also turn on and eventually shut down, but the actually jeep won't turn on.

There is a clicking sound coming from the fuse box and the fuse that turns on is M6. It has a red little light on it that turns on every time i try to turn the jeep over. Also, I tried to use my OBDII reader to see if it would shoot me some codes or not, but there is no power going to it.

So... im kind of stuck in what to do or what not to do. I have a buddy who's a little more advance than I am when it comes to electrical issues, and he mentioned it may be the ECU. Since, the performance chip does have a light for the ECU.

Is the red light on the dash or on the fuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Is the red light on the dash or on the fuse?
The red light is on the actual fuse. When I try to turn the cover over the light will turn on and a click will sound.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

I just went thru this exact same thing this week. I also have a 2007 6 speed. I finally tracked it down today to fuse M22. It was a dead socket and I had to run a new wire off the battery to the computer for 12 volt. Try your tester in that socket to see if you have power there. If you do it could be other things and as far as the OBD port the bottom right pin should read 12 volt same as the battery. The upper two right are both grounds and the two white wires with the blue stripes should be around 2.4 volts. Feel free to pm me with your number if I can help walk you thru anymore of this as I have printed off most of the wiring diagrams. BTW there is a thread on Jkfreaks.com that has a link to the diagrams. Something like 40 pages.

Wire diagram.
https://docs.google.com/folderview?h...ViNGJkYTFmYzUw

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by thedirtman; 05-09-2016 at 08:59 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 05:40 AM
Banned

Please look at this link, click on installation link. http://voloperformance.com/vpfs1invi.html

NICE Music too... rotflmao.

Try to find the wiring diagram from Volo and reverse it .. I do know there is some cutting of wires and splicing others.
I have never used one but have seem other chop up there Jeeps adding it ..

Good luck

I do not understand why people put that SHIT on there jeeps ..

This is what this device does.

It changes the air temperature sensor to think it very cold, in doing this it changes the air fuel ratio, in affect adding more gas or fuel to intake system causing more HP out put..

Side affect is bad emissions and bad gas mileage. does it work, yes but only when engine is cold once it warms up you get as stated above.

I know of members in our four wheel club who have added this device , and removed it ... I know of one guy using it today..

and no, he has no more performance advantage then the rest and it I'm my opinion its a waste of money ..

PS
this modification is a 3.00 dollar modification at radio shack.. all it is a resistor . .
I find it hilarious seeing people spending big money for this CRAY..
A few years ago they were 19.95 . . . just to dam funny to see as the price has gone up to 90.00 dollars and people flock to buy this TRASH !!!

Again it's the power of suggestion, and the since it cost a lot it must work attitude ......

WRONG. I have many times try to explain this to my Brother-in-law .... yes he doesn't get it either .. and neither do most of you HERE !!

you think if it cost a lot it must have something extra in it ... and 99% of the time it has LESS!! like Organic .. rotflmao
or new and improved horse shit. marking schemes for those suckers out there ... I can also look down the vendor list and review products and see the same thing ...

Sad !

Quote:
Good afternoon everyone!

Last edited by Dr Jim Grimes; 05-10-2016 at 05:58 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I just went thru this exact same thing this week. I also have a 2007 6 speed. I finally tracked it down today to fuse M22. It was a dead socket and I had to run a new wire off the battery to the computer for 12 volt. Try your tester in that socket to see if you have power there. If you do it could be other things and as far as the OBD port the bottom right pin should read 12 volt same as the battery. The upper two right are both grounds and the two white wires with the blue stripes should be around 2.4 volts. Feel free to pm me with your number if I can help walk you thru anymore of this as I have printed off most of the wiring diagrams. BTW there is a thread on Jkfreaks.com that has a link to the diagrams. Something like 40 pages.

Wire diagram.
Thanks again! for helping me yesterday, was reading the diagrams all night. also, posted on Jeepforums and got some other advice so Ill see if I can figure things out today. We did find there to be power going to the fuse box I guess I was just doing something wrong. >.<
post #11 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jim Grimes View Post
Please look at this link, click on installation link. Installation Video for Firmware 6.0 , 5.2 and 4.3

NICE Music too... rotflmao.

Try to find the wiring diagram from Volo and reverse it .. I do know there is some cutting of wires and splicing others.
I have never used one but have seem other chop up there Jeeps adding it ..

Good luck

I do not understand why people put that SHIT on there jeeps ..

This is what this device does.

It changes the air temperature sensor to think it very cold, in doing this it changes the air fuel ratio, in affect adding more gas or fuel to intake system causing more HP out put..

Side affect is bad emissions and bad gas mileage. does it work, yes but only when engine is cold once it warms up you get as stated above.

I know of members in our four wheel club who have added this device , and removed it ... I know of one guy using it today..

and no, he has no more performance advantage then the rest and it I'm my opinion its a waste of money ..

PS
this modification is a 3.00 dollar modification at radio shack.. all it is a resistor . .
I find it hilarious seeing people spending big money for this CRAY..
A few years ago they were 19.95 . . . just to dam funny to see as the price has gone up to 90.00 dollars and people flock to buy this TRASH !!!

Again it's the power of suggestion, and the since it cost a lot it must work attitude ......

WRONG. I have many times try to explain this to my Brother-in-law .... yes he doesn't get it either .. and neither do most of you HERE !!

you think if it cost a lot it must have something extra in it ... and 99% of the time it has LESS!! like Organic .. rotflmao
or new and improved horse shit. marking schemes for those suckers out there ... I can also look down the vendor list and review products and see the same thing ...

Sad !
I looked over the video and just reverse-engineered the installation and still nothing.
On that note.. I actually did not install it yet alone bought for the Jeep. When I bought the jeep it already had it on. I always thought it was an alarm lol
post #12 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I looked over the video and just reverse-engineered the installation and still nothing.
On that note.. I actually did not install it yet alone bought for the Jeep. When I bought the jeep it already had it on. I always thought it was an alarm lol
I understood that buddy, I just know and hear other talking about these products.. it's a rip off is all I'm saying ..

Sorry if I meant no harm or harass you .

I'm afraid you might have a more serious problem, you could have shorted out something as this device has power to it all the time and cutting wire might have Blown something and worse case short out the ECM (Engine control Module)

Might need to have it towed to dealer or try another ECM.

5094097AI Engine Computer Brain Box ECM PCM 07 11 Jeep Wrangler JK 3 8 V6 097AI | eBay
post #13 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jim Grimes View Post
I understood that buddy, I just know and hear other talking about these products.. it's a rip off is all I'm saying ..

Sorry if I meant no harm or harass you .

I'm afraid you might have a more serious problem, you could have shorted out something as this device has power to it all the time and cutting wire might have Blown something and worse case short out the ECM (Engine control Module)

Might need to have it towed to dealer or try another ECM.

5094097AI Engine Computer Brain Box ECM PCM 07 11 Jeep Wrangler JK 3 8 V6 097AI | eBay
Is there anyway to check the ECM? Or is something that you would just need to replace and see if that's what it is? I have no issue paying 400 dollars or so, but if there is a way to test it. I'd rather do that and go from there.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 02:08 PM
JKO Addict!

You can buy new computers from Solo Auto already programmed for your jeep and they come with a lifetime warrantee. $389 shipped. I doubt it is your computer though, just need to find where the loss of power is.

Just to keep things clear the "computer"(drivers side) I refer too is the powertrain control module or PCM and the fuse box (passenger side) is the totally integrated power module or TIPS.

Some build info here:

Last edited by thedirtman; 05-10-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Quote:
I've checked the fuses and they all seem to be in good shape. I also checked the ones for the relay to my lights and lockers and they all seem to be doing good. Any particular one I should be looking at?
Could've shorted something without blowing the fuse. At this point, I'd reconnect the wiring to the VOLO and see if that fixes it. If it does, then you'll know it's not that you've shorted something. If it doesn't, then you'll have a pretty good idea that you've got an issue, probably with your TIPM.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #16 of 19 Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

So while at work I got my Jeep broken into and had my battery stolen... So can't figure out whats what until I get a new one hopefully tomorrow. Just to clarify what the TIPM is... is the entire Fuse box? I have an uncle who actually deals with installing breathalyzers in cars lol. He gave me a tool today, and gave me some knowledge on how they check for the fuses as well as how to check the Fuse box, but again I can't do anything until I get a new battery
Is there any way to actually check both the Computer and the Fuse box with out just going ahead and buying a new one?
I did try to reconnect the Volo Performance chip and nothing happened. So I'm assuming I did blow a fuse or something along those lines.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-11-2016, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

First confirm the fact you have power to the TIPM and then to the computer. I mapped the plugs on the computer plugs to show where the power and grounds are as well as the OBD2 port. Getting power to the computer from my bad M22 socket was an easy bypass.

Some build info here:

post #18 of 19 Old 06-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

Wire diagram.
This post could be a sticky.
...most of thedirtman's posts could be stickies.

Quote:
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #19 of 19 Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Note the M22 computer socket is only on the 2007 as they have a different wire system vs 2008 and up which can be seen in the thread I listed in my op.

Some build info here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode