Upgrading from stock audio - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-06-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Upgrading from stock audio

I'm going to upgrade from stock speakers because the stock ones in my 2016 wrangler sport are trash. I am thinking about replacing the 2 sound bar 6.5 inch speakers and the 2 dash 6.5 inch speakers with the kicker upgrade speakers. It'll cost $140 for the speakers. And then I am also going to poly fill the sound boxes. Any thoughts/reviews of the kicker speakers or recommendations before I buy anything? Not looking to spend a fortune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wranglerthomas View Post
I'm going to upgrade from stock speakers because the stock ones in my 2016 wrangler sport are trash. I am thinking about replacing the 2 sound bar 6.5 inch speakers and the 2 dash 6.5 inch speakers with the kicker upgrade speakers. It'll cost $140 for the speakers. And then I am also going to poly fill the sound boxes. Any thoughts/reviews of the kicker speakers or recommendations before I buy anything? Not looking to spend a fortune.
I hear that is a good upgrade. I went with Polk db 6.5 co-axial for my sound bar and the same type component for the dash. (I think your 16 is setup a bit different).

But then again, I added two amps, aftermarket deck, etc.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Great thread over on WF that connects to some other threads there along this same line. Subwoofer Mod (replacement) - Jeep Wrangler Forum. I would suggest changing out the crossover capacitor in the tweeter first. For just a few bucks, literally less than $5, you'll see a dramatic difference. JMO.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Rock God

I did the Kicker speaker upgrade both in-dash and in the sound-bar, and poly-filled both. I started w/ the upgraded audio to begin with, but the sound is noticeably better for me now. Not sure if it was the speakers and polyfill, or just the polyfill, but I'm happy w/ it.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Wheeler

Upgrade

I upgraded my 6.5 in speakers in the sound bar and filled in with polyfil. This made it sound a little better and then I got a Pioneer NEX 4200 this increased the volume significantly. I will most likely change the front speakers out soon but I am pretty satisfied with the changes so I am not in rush.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2016, 04:25 PM

I just finished doing the same thing with my 2016 wrangler 2 door. Found some Kicker 3.5's on Amazon for $29 and added a sub and amp that I had in my Silverado I traded in on the Jeep. Kept the factory radio. Sounds great. Will do the 6.5 Kicker upgrade when I get a lil more $$ but for now this sounds a million times better.
Attached Images

post #9 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 12:20 PM

my 2 cents

I'm not the audiophile that many on here are but I did the polyfill and sound barrier on my crossbar and noticed little difference. I picked up 6.5 Kickers for the soundbar. Certainly different.
The addition of the tweeter to the rear changed the dynamics. I adjusted the levels to tone down the added high frequency. What I really like is the rear(sound bar) really cut
through all the ambient noise of a soft top. With the top down it was easy for sound to get lost. I listen to audio books as well as my music and it's much more clear. I did find the xm antenna on top
of the crossbar (passenger side)..underneath padding (in case anyone wondered). I moved it as well. When I flip the top back the metal header of the top was resting on it cutting the signal quite a bit.
I'm on my 4th jeep and spend a little less than I used to on customization..that being said it sorely needs a subwoofer. My 2001 had one and not sure why it's not standard at this point.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I purchased Alpine SPS-610C component speakers. Installed those in the sound bar with polyfil. I do think it sounds better, but not where I'm like "WHOA. That's DEFINITELY better." So, does it REALLY sound better? Or do I just expect it to since I coughed up the cash? I don't know...

I recently purchased the Pioneer 5200NEX brand new on eBay. It's sitting on the window seat in my office because I've been waiting on about 80 additional parts to get everything to work properly. It's been quite a costly upgrade between the radio itself and all the add ons. I have been hooking stuff up as it comes in to reduce the install time, and I'm hoping to get the dash torn apart this weekend to install the stereo and mess of shit connected to it. I will upgrade the front speakers with my other set of Alpine components at the same time. I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it all finished.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have the Kicker direct replacements in the sound bar and the dash, and I've poly filled the sound bar and the dash pods. It sounds 100x better than the stockers, but I would recommend getting an aftermarket head unit or an after head unit amplifier because the stock 130 just docent have enough power. It gets distorted once you turn it past 75% volume, the speakers have plenty of clear volume left in them, its just the power source can't handle it.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode