Hey all, yesterday I just about finished up an install of a 2500 watt inverter under the passenger seat. Now, let me first say that for the U-boat captains among us, this might not be a good idea. But for the rest of us that prefer to keep the muck and mire out of the interior this is a solid concealed location to power any thing you can think of.
My plans for this thing are mainly small AC accessories for camping, but I wanted the power to be able to hook up a sawzall or grinder on the trail for repairs. The alternator of the jeep won't put out the amperage needed to run large tools and the like so they would have to be used in short bursts to keep from draining the battery.
DISCLAMER!! This inverter will draw some serious amperage when running at capacity, it requires a 250 amp fuse. I would not recommend installing this thing without a fuse. We don't want to see a burnt up jeep due to shoddy wiring.
I started by going to the local big box and picked up a Cobra CPI-2575 DC to AC inverter. I also picked up 15' of 2 AWG wire to power it with. Once home I pulled the cover off of the bottom of the passenger seat and removed the foam to access 6 13mm nuts. Once they were removed the seat, minus frame and slider assembly was able to be removed. This opened up access to under the seat for me to plan my next move of the install.
Next, I fabbed up a simple tray to mount the inverter to that would bolt into 3 existing holes in the seat frame. The picture below shows what the inverter looks like mounted onto the seat frame.
After that I set about routing wires through the cab and into the engine bay. Jeep in it's infinite wisdom created about a 3 inch hole with a big rubber boot to pass a wiring harness down the passenger side of the cab. I simply poked a hole in the boot below the wiring harness and pushed the cables through.
Then I was able to reinstall the seat. It turns out to be very concealed. I needed about another foot of wire to conceal the one wire that shows in this photo. Note the casualty of war plastic clip that was sacrificed to hide the cables. It'll be replaced shortly.
Lastly, a shot that shows the access to the outlets and front panel of the inverter.
I still need a ANL-250 250 amp fuse ,holder and wiring harness protector to wire it up to the battery for good. Once I get the fuse (waiting for buster brown) and get it installed, I'll post a follow-up of that portion.
I temporarily wired it up last night and it works as advertised, I'm just too chicken to leave it wired without a fuse.