Rear Vision Camera Installed - Looking for ideas - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Rear Vision Camera Installed - Looking for ideas

After a lot of reading, I decided to go with the Brandmotion 9002-8837 Jeep Wrangler Rear Vision System. First, I wanted to stay as close to a stock install as possible. Second, I found a "relatively" good deal and liked the idea of everything being plug and play. Short of splicing in the 12+V wire that connects to the back of the nav to the lighter 12+V wire, all the wires/connections are pre-fabbed. Also, I liked the idea of having the OBDII plug to flash the nav. I do realize there were much much cheaper options though, oh well.

I have installed the main wire from the OEM Nav to the rear tailgate, flashed the Nav and tested, the camera works!

My issue... I'm faced with finding a way to mount the camera but want it to be clean looking. Of course, this is typically done by using the spare tire mount or a small cut in the bumper. Although, I have removed the spare tire using a PSC JK Tramp Stamp II and have the license plate relocation plate. Also, I was trying to avoid cutting into my rear bumper, will most likely install a PSC bumper later on.

Camera I'm using was mounted to the spare tire carrier bracket but I removed it to try to find a way to mount it to the JK Tramp Stamp Plate, the camera is about an inch in length.

So, any ideas on mounting this camera? Has anyone been faced with a similar situation, no spare tire but still have a camera?

Thanks peeps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Rock God

I had placed mine for the longest time on my the truss of my rear axle. Always got great views and was awesome when I was wheeling.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Oh nice! Do you have any pictures of it mounted there from when you still had it on the truss? How did you mount it to the truss? Also, was the view limited at all by the bumper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriffer View Post
Oh nice! Do you have any pictures of it mounted there from when you still had it on the truss? How did you mount it to the truss? Also, was the view limited at all by the bumper?
I'll try and look for pictures. Looking at your Jeep in your avatar, mine is quiet a bit taller, and have a very minimal custom rear bumper, nearly flush with the body of the Jeep. I don't have the D44 axles on my Jeep anymore, and currently have a 14 bolt axle installed in the rear. never reinstalled the back up camera.
But I basically welded a plate right of the edge of the truss, to mount the camera to. The wiring I ran through the rear cubby where the jack sits. I just thought I'd give you a different idea, most just mount the rear camera on the rear gate.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2016, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Cool, no this is good stuff man. I'm gonna check the angle to see how the view is from that low, maybe even right where the stock hitch goes but running everything through that same hole.

Or it's back to figuring a way to mount it on the spare delete. I thought of using a CB antenna mount like the one FSM makes for the spare delete plate. Only thing I was kind of worried about was if I needed to make a housing for the camera/wiring if it's exposed like that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode