Ipod Universal Dock into Head Unit? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-19-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Ipod Universal Dock into Head Unit?

Ok, first, let me say I did try searching this but couldn't find anyone that tried this exact setup.

I'm looking to hook my ipod up to the stock single disk stereo but don't want to control it through the head unit. I just want it to plug into the back somewhere.

Here's what I'm looking at doing:

Buy a universal dock like this one which has a line out, s-video out, and 30? pin USB out.

Cut a slot in the plastic piece above my head unit and mount this underneath, then run the line out through whatever adapter I need and into my head unit. Also I'll run the USB down to my powerbar inverter.

If my thinking is right, This would allow me to pop my ipod touch in the dock, play through the stereo speakers, and charge all at the same time, without needing an ugly dash or window mount with annoying clamps.

If at all possible, I don't want to tap into any of the factory wires.

What I need to know:

1) Does the head unit have a place I can plug the line out into?
2) What adapter (if any) would I need to do this?

I'm trying to do this on an '08 Rubi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

I see potentially 3 issues with your setup:

1. the minute you go around a turn, kiss your ipod goodbye. the force of turning will pull it right out of the dock.

2. the regular radio and mygig didnt come with rear input until 2009. you could soldier an AUX port on, but I dont know if you want to go that far.

3. The front AUX port doesnt provide power, neither will the usb.

My setup involves the bracktron bracket from quardratec, get the adjust clamps to hold in place in your case and get a LiquidAux and run it through your dash. My set up looks like this:

its clean, no wires in the way and stable... no iphone going flying.

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Last edited by enigmaverse; 06-19-2010 at 04:13 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaverse View Post
I see potentially 3 issues with your setup:

1. the minute you go around a turn, kiss your ipod goodbye. the force of turning will pull it right out of the dock.

2. the regular radio and mygig didnt come with rear input until 2009. you could soldier an AUX port on, but I dont know if you want to go that far.

3. The front AUX port doesnt provide power, neither will the usb.
Thanks for the advice.

Point 1 I had considered, but having used these docks before they're actually pretty good at latching onto the ipod. I'm gonna go by an apple store and stick my ipod in and give it a shake test to see how sturdy the hold is.

Point 2 might negate this whole idea as I was looking for an alternative to using the front aux in. Might still go this route and just have the wire come out and around, but it's probably not worth all the effort then.

Point 3 is a non-issue as I was aware there was no power from the aux, that's why I was going to run the USB to my inverter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2010, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is the setup that I have.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25779

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #5 of 5 Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
That's a solid setup you have there. I've got power windows, so the location won't work for me, but I can use the directions to wire an aux in the rear of my stereo (assuming I can find someone to solder for me).

Looks like I'm off to the apple store tomorrow to test the universal dock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode