What length cb antenna - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
What length cb antenna

Hello all, I got a Teraflex CB antenna mount for the spare tire carrier, how long of an antenna do I need to get it up over the roof and have good range? Four or Five foot is what I'm thinking, but not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I use a 4' Firestik. Never had any transmitting/ receiving issues. It is mounted to the rear frame-rail (since I have no rear bumper). Only sticks up a couple inches past the hard-top, although I usually run without the top.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks again Stub, you must be the answer man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaClone View Post
Thanks again Stub, you must be the answer man.
LOL- nope- just waiting for some stuffed jalapenos to finish roasting in the oven.

The only bad thing I have heard about the Firestik is that it is not a whip antenna. For me it is no big deal since mine is short- doesn't stick up high enough to present issues with low-hanging tree limbs, etc.....but if it is longer than 4' or is mounted higher up on the Jeep, then it could present problems. jmo.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

102" ftw!

Works well here in the middle of nowhere, will have to see how it does when I wheel in the mid-west..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
...The only bad thing I have heard about the Firestik is that it is not a whip antenna. For me it is no big deal since mine is short- doesn't stick up high enough to present issues with low-hanging tree limbs, etc.....but if it is longer than 4' or is mounted higher up on the Jeep, then it could present problems. jmo.
I went with the 4' FireFly because it does stick up above the top, a little over 1', and it is a flexible fiberglass.
I think using the Teraflex mount would put it about the same height as mine at the bottom, so I'd say get at least a 3' antenna. A buddy of mine got a 2', and while on the road we lost each other at about 1/2 mile.

Flick

2013 Gecko Rubi Unlimited
post #7 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
I went with the 4' FireFly because it does stick up above the top, a little over 1', and it is a flexible fiberglass.

....get at least a 3' antenna. A buddy of mine got a 2', and while on the road we lost each other at about 1/2 mile.
X2 on min 3-4'.

Yea- like I said- "only sticks up a couple inches on mine".

Even though it's flexible- that thing can cause damage to tail lights, paint, etc. When you catch that thing on something- it snaps back like crazy. Not at all like a whip.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I have a 3 foot fire twig. I like it. It dosnt stick up above my top, but i can hear just fine and talk to people on the trail. I also sniffed out a smokie once.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #9 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

4ft Firestick Firefly.. Works great... And it has slammed into some tree branches and still works..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM
JKO Addict!

I have a 55.5" stainless whip. I just haven't installed the thing yet!
post #11 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Rock God

4 foot firestik mounted on the carrier sometimes, sometimes a 102" SS whip tied off to the windshield footman loop for fun.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

I have a 4' firestick and had no problems. It's mounted to the spare carrier and extends about 2' above the roof line. It's caught some branches in the pines but no problems yet!!!!!! knock, knock!!!!!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #13 of 14 Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Technically speaking, most if not all antennas made for CBs have the same amount of wire in them, 102". If you have a 102" whip, thats it, if you have a 4' firestick, 3' whatever, they all have 102" of wire in them. What makes the difference in the shorter antennas is the way they are wrapped. I use a regular ol 4' whip that is top loaded. Being top loaded means that the majority of the wraps of the antenna wire are on the upper part of the antenna for better reception. Different antenna loadings are for different setups, if you are a trucker, you may not need a top loaded antenna because it sits so high in the first place and your rolling down a highway. For us off road types, we may want it because it gives us a little more range due to elevation changes, etc on trails. To get a true full wavelength antenna, the antenna or wire would have to be over 39 feet long for best reception. Most antennas available today are 102", or 1/4 wavelength antennas. Cheapo antennas can be found in 1/8 wavelength, but probably wouldn't be recommended.

Hope this helps. Might want to just go with whats gonna work in your setup, and not worry so much about brand or size.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Hey thanks all. I had been looking at the fire stick firefly myself, you guys just confirmed my decision. Im gonna see if I can pick one up this weekend and install my CB. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode