CB mishap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

CB mishap

So in my 2008 JK X I wired my CB using my auxiliary power wiring. I simply cut the power/ground and soldered it to the CB power/ground. Worked no problems with my Cobra 18WXST.
Today I wired up a Cobra 75XT in a friends 2010 Rubicon. Wired grn/red to power and black to ground using the auxiliary power. No dice. Tested with test-light and ground is good...no power....fuse is fine, power had power before I cut it...what's the deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Did you wire it to a 'key on' power source.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Did you wire it to a 'key on' power source.
Yeah and yeah the key was on when I tried it haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Rock God

From what I've heard, CBs like to draw their power straight from the battery. Just string a wire from the battery through that little hole that's in the top corner (either left or right) of the firewall. It's filled with foam insulation, but you just poke a hole through it with a coat hanger. Hook in an inline fuse, then ground it to one of the grounding studs. They're also on either side panel just below where the dashboard ends.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
From what I've heard, CBs like to draw their power straight from the battery. Just string a wire from the battery through that little hole that's in the top corner (either left or right) of the firewall. It's filled with foam insulation, but you just poke a hole through it with a coat hanger. Hook in an inline fuse, then ground it to one of the grounding studs. They're also on either side panel just below where the dashboard ends.
I ran my CB off of the sPOD....works like a champ! Before I got the sPOD I ran it off the battery as well.

U.S. Army
post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

yeah I had mine installed by a shop, same cb, and they suggested right to the battery for it, so they did. Cool trick if you do it that way, they took my antenna off, taped the cb wires to it, and then pushed that through the fome insulation in the fire wall to the battery! Worked like a charm. If I'd know it was that easy to wire, I'd have done it myself- live and learn!!!!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Oh yeah, forgot to mention you need to pop those side panels off either side of your dashboard to see the foam filled holes.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #8 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 03:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention you need to pop those side panels off either side of your dashboard to see the foam filled holes.

I used a piece of plastic tubing as a stint and ran my wires through it to 1. make running multiple wires easier and 2. to help prevent any unforeseen chaffing of the wires though doubtful with all the foam.

/

post #9 of 10 Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

Interesting, my 75 is wired to switched power at the cig lighter and works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
So I guess you're calling him a dick for pointing out something dangerous, which kinda makes you a dick for calling him out and well holy fuck, it makes me a dick for calling you a dick.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-03-2010, 09:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuckenmeyer View Post
Interesting, my 75 is wired to switched power at the cig lighter and works great.
The 75wx was hard mount version of a handheld platform 45wx and runs well on any power. It does need a really good ground like box CB's.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode