battery drain - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-13-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

battery drain

Hello, We have an 07 JK and were wondering if anyone has experienced a problem with their battery loosing its charge after the car hasn't been started for a week? To make matters even more puzzling,last weekend after charging the battery the engine light came on. We disconnected and then reconnected the battery hoping that may eliminate the engine light, but no luck. We tried the trick of installing a test light between the negative post and battery cable and then removing 1 fuse at a time but the light stayed on, at the same intensity, and never went out. We originally thought the battery was bad,so we replaced it,{optima-red}but apparently that's not it either. We charged the battery yesterday {Saturday} like we've been doing the past few weekends, but today, Sunday, it's to low to start the engine. It seems like the drain is getting worse because it had always held enough charge for at least 4 or 5 days before. Other than this battery issue everything on our jeep is working great.Thank you in advance for any advice and experience you may have on this mystery problem. Respectfully, Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-13-2016, 10:38 PM
Rock God

I have had this happen to my jeep on 2 occasions, mine was caused by my Aeroforce gauge which, unbeknownst to me, continued to draw a small amount of power even when the jeep is off.

It may be helpful if you tell us more about any any all after-market stuff you put on your jeep that draws power, or existing things that you tweaked that touch stock electronic items.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-14-2016, 07:41 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Same problem here (except without the engine light issue). 07, 2 dr, after sitting for 5 or so days the batteries (dual yellow tops) did not have enough power to start jeep. I checked for parasitic loads, found none. The batteries were 7 years old so I replaced them yesterday. Voltage is at 12.9 this morning but have not started the jeep yet. Your post has my interest now and I will let you know how mine does. How old were your batteries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Granite Guru

What was the last aftermarket accessory (electrical, specifically...) that you added or the last electrical mod you made to your Jeep before you started having battery issues? That is generally the best place to start.

Pick up a DVOM (digital volt-ohm meter), set it to Current/Amps, and try the same thing you did with the test light. When you pull a fuse that significantly reduces the current shown on the DVOM, start by checking that circuit.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-20-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you guys for your advice and help. We decided to take our jeep to a local mechanic last Wednesday. He called on Friday and is confident he's found the problem. It's the "integrated power module". Apparently it is draining 1/2 to 9 amps whenever it feels like it and that's with the key and everything off. According to him this is known to happen on our 07 JK. The new module was supposed to arrive yesterday 'Sat." but they shipped the wrong one so it looks like Tuesday before the correct module will show up. We were ready to try the volt meter install that COBrian suggested but our electrical knowledge is poor at best. Our jeep has a warn winch, air compressor, and after market lights that were installed at off road warehouse so we were fairly confident they were not the problem. We disconnected all the after market accessories a few weekends ago and the mystery battery drain continued. We've talked 2 times to the mechanic since Wed. and forgot to ask about the engine light and he never mentioned it. We'll let everyone know how this all turns out, hopefully we will have our Jk back in the next couple of days. Again, thank you all for your advice and help. Respectfully, Tom
post #6 of 7 Old 03-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdude View Post
Same problem here (except without the engine light issue). 07, 2 dr, after sitting for 5 or so days the batteries (dual yellow tops) did not have enough power to start jeep. I checked for parasitic loads, found none. The batteries were 7 years old so I replaced them yesterday. Voltage is at 12.9 this morning but have not started the jeep yet. Your post has my interest now and I will let you know how mine does. How old were your batteries?
12.6 is the static voltage on a 12 volt battery, you are fine.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-28-2016, 12:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellstig1 View Post
12.6 is the static voltage on a 12 volt battery, you are fine.
Open circuit voltage for a fully charged flooded lead acid battery is 12.6v or higher.
Open circuit voltage for a fully charged AGM battery (assuming Stickdude replaced his yellow tops with yellow tops), is 12.8v or higher.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode