Kenwood Navigation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Kenwood Navigation

Can someone help me re: installing additional maps on a Kenwood DNX6160. I called a couple of retailers inc. Crutchfield and some more smaller independent ones and get conflicting answers.

I want to add additional maps to Kenwood DNX6160 unit. I live in the Dom Rep and the only maps that work here are Garmin based. I called the retailers in the USA and they are not sure if this can be done, so they asked me to talk to Kenwood. I spoke on the phone to a Kenwood C/S agent and he was not sure and referred me to Garmin. I have emailed Garmin, but have not heard a reply yet.

Can this be done on the 6160 - I checked this thread https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=407948 , but it refers to the DNX8120

If not, what unit should I be looking at. In addition, retailers tell me that the 6160 supports bluetooth music streaming, whereas Kenwood says it does not.

I have not purchased the unit as yet due to this confusion and am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Granite Guru

the KenWood does support bluetooth audio streaming...
(I have a KenWood in my jeep and I love it) it's not a dvd/nav unit but I will be upgrading to one eventually (9100?)
my suggestion would be to look at their higher end unit
the price is only slightly higher for much richer features

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to sickchilly Send a message via Skype™ to sickchilly

Yes it can be done. You connect your computer to the USB port (same one where the traffic receiver connects). MapSource will see the unit and you can transfer data to/from it including adding map sets.

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

I checked on Kenwood's site and the only unit that I can see that supports bluetooth A2DP is the DNX7160

Sickchilly - I use Mapsource to update a stand alone Garmin unit, so am familiar with that. In a earlier post you refer to the DNX8120 having a 2gb drive with 700mb free space, do you know if this is the same for the DNX6160 or DNX7160?

Regards

Sandy
post #5 of 9 Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Granite Guru

I haven't played with the 6160, only the previous 6140. However, in my experience, the nav portion of all these Kenwood DNX units is exactly the same.

And you can always backup the map file to your computer, delete it from the unit and have almost a full 2 GB to load whatever you want on there.

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-13-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sickchilly,
I will go ahead with the Kenwood unit. Unfortunately, my buddy's local stockist in the USA only has the DNX6960 in stock and I will go with that unit, as he is heading this way next week. Very hard to get retailers to ship these things abroad!
Thanks Again!!!
Sandy
post #7 of 9 Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Granite Guru

hijack: anyone know if you can run the garmin topo maps on the DNX 6160?

2007 2dr Rubi: lifted, 37's, custom fab work, lots of other stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
Yes it can be done. You connect your computer to the USB port (same one where the traffic receiver connects). MapSource will see the unit and you can transfer data to/from it including adding map sets.
Exactly...I have a 6140 it has been great. Kenwood could do a much beter job with an owners manual though. Use the USB port on the back as mentioned above, not the corded one for the jump drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_dr View Post
Thanks Guys,

I checked on Kenwood's site and the only unit that I can see that supports bluetooth A2DP is the DNX7160

Sickchilly - I use Mapsource to update a stand alone Garmin unit, so am familiar with that. In a earlier post you refer to the DNX8120 having a 2gb drive with 700mb free space, do you know if this is the same for the DNX6160 or DNX7160?

Regards

Sandy
My 6140 bluetooth streams audio from my kids Ipod Touch all the time. I also use Slacker Radio on my Blackberry the same way. The stereo is packed with features but due to a lack of instructions it takes a while to figure it all out.
I will have to check on the topo maps but I don't see why they would not work..

2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4D Silver, 4" Superlift
35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, Summit Racing 15" wheels
Smittybilt XRC front bumper with XRC8 Syn

96 XJ, 8"lift, 36" Swampers, 8.8 detroit rear, lots of other mods
post #9 of 9 Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr View Post
hijack: anyone know if you can run the garmin topo maps on the DNX 6160?
Yes you can, although the functionality will vary by GPS and is often limited.

All Garmin-based units I have messed with (including those in found in Kenwood) will load and display Garmin-compatible Topo, trail, etc. maps either those made by Garmin or those available freely on the internet. However, you'll encounter a few caveats and limits in functionality which will vary by unit. I have used various Garmin eTrex hiking units, several Nuvi series units and the Kenwood DNX210EX and spent limited time with the DNX5120 and DNX6140.

1. More often than not, 3D View is useless for Topo maps (doesn't display land features or elevation) or does not display at all. Switch to Track Up or North Up views.

2. Some Garmin units will not reliably display multiple mapsets simultaneously. I'm not sure if this is due to performance (RAM/Graphics) or just limitations of the device's capabilities. For example, my eTrex Vista HCx unit will display a single mapset file (a gmapsupp.img file) containing data from multiple map sources and overlay them on top of each other. It's a little slow sometimes, but it works. I have a road, trail and 24k topo and 100k topo maps all showing simultaneously on that GPS.

My wife's Kenwood DNX210EX (essentially a Nuvi 350 or so bundled with a Kenwood stereo), has limited internal memory almost completely taken up by the City Navigator 2010 road maps. I had to put the extra topo and hiking maps on the SD card. You can switch between map sets in the menu system. It does allow you to select multiple mapsets simultaneously and it does display data from all maps selected.

However, if all you have is the unit's internal memory, you can either cram multiple mapsets into one gmapsupp.img file or you can download one set of maps, rename gmapsupp.img to gmapsup2.img and then download a new set of maps into a gmapsupp.img file again. This also works as a way to get more than one mapset img file onto an SD card like on a phone using Garmin Mobile software…

3. Most on-road Garmin units will not route using topo maps (turn by turn directions) nor will they import your Routes or Tracks from MapSource. This is true for most on-road units like the Nuvi series, save for those couple of Nuvis that have combo maps out of the box. You'll have to switch back to the road mapset for your voice guided navigation or leave multiple mapsets selected including your on-road maps. The topo/trail map info will be displayed, but the unit will use the road maps for guidance. This of course can cause problems if there are no roads, but you shouldn't rely on voice guidance on the trail, only to get you there!

4. Finally, I haven't seen a Garmin on-road unit that records tracks (breadcrumbs). Most will not let you follow downloaded routes made offline in MapSource or create new routes from POIs/WayPoints stored in the unit either.

5. Waypoints in MapSource will end up as "Favorites" under the "Where to? ->My Locations" menu on most on-road Garmins. Useful for marking camp sites, trail heads and significant points within a trail.

So, at a minimum, at least you'll be able to load your favorite Topo and Trail maps, view them, browse, search them and have your little vehicle icon follow along with you on the trail. I personally would love to have tracks or routes but I haven't found an on-road in-dash unit that offers this level of functionality.

Still I think the Garmin-based on-road units are the best in-dash units just because I can load whatever map data and waypoints I want to into them and there are loads of free Garmin-compatible trail maps available on the internet, usually for free. I prefer to plan my trips offline in MapSource on the big computer screen too.

But if you want the full meal deal, you won't find an in-dash model that fits the bill. You'll have to go with a hiking oriented model like the eTrex, Oregon, Dakota or GPSMAP series. Or you can get a crossover model like the Jeep Trail Guide (Garmin Quest 2) or a "multi-mode" Nuvi like the 500 or 550.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode