Uniden 510 or Cobra 75 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Uniden 510 or Cobra 75...or Uniden 520???
Uniden 510 5 15.63%
Uniden 520 12 37.50%
Cobra 75 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Uniden 510 or Cobra 75

So I'm looking to install a CB. I was going to order the kit from rightchannelradios.com that includes either a cobra 75 or a uniden pro 510 or 520 for $15 more over the pro510.

I like the idea of how compact the cobra 75 is and how it can be mounted very discreetly with greater ease, but I saw on amazon some guys have had issues with longevity/durability...of course, it is amazon and the volume of cobra versus uniden is quite a difference. The kit comes with an external speaker for the 75 if I need it, and the perk of the uniden is it runs about 50 bucks cheaper. I'm only using this for trail duty.

Which would you guys choose or did you choose? Looked throughout the forum, seems like quite a few of you have the 75 and could offer some good input.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
JKO Addict!

I've been thru two Cobra 75- apparently they don't fair well in dusty conditions. On both of mine, after about a year (wheeling in very dusty conditions) the PTT button would hang, and I would have to smack it hard a couple times after everytime I would talk. Of course that would mean I would miss replies a lot of times. Pretty annoying.

I don't know of anyone else that has had this problem. But since it happened to me with twice, I chalked it up to dusty conditions because that is the only thing that I can think of that could cause it to happen.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I have both so I can give you feedback on both! I use to have the Uniden in the Jeep before installing the Cobra 75.

UNIDEN:
Pros:
1. Uniden 510 has a much louder internal speaker than the Cobra 75.
2. Uniden handset is much lighter and smaller to hold onto.
3. Better visibility of the channel selector to see what channel you are on.
4. Easy to use knobs for channel changing, squelch and volume.
Cons:
1. CB box that is not easy to conceal....although it's only 2 cap screws to remove it from the mount and take out for security.
2. CB Box in the Jeep takes up about 1.5 inches of driver leg space from the center console if you use the mounting kit from Quadratec

Cobra 75 without external speaker:
Pros:
1. Concealable mount
2. Fairly quick disconnect to remove the entire CB (since it is all in the handheld)
Cons:
1. small channel changing buttons right next to PTT button causing accidental channel changing to happen
2. Handset is pretty fat resulting in potential for accidental memory/menu change functions
3. fat handset with spin dials for squelch and volume on the side allow for potential to bump the dials reducing/raising squelch as well as volume levels.
4. CB is only a year old and already the handset cable coating is splitting
5. CB is not easily heard if you are running with windows down at road speed on the hardball and definitely can't hear it if you are top down along with windows. As long as you are off-road you can hear okay since you aren't going an excessive speed with wind noise.

After a year of using the Cobra 75, it has faired well for what I have used it for but glad that I didn't pay full value of it....won it in a raffle. I installed the Uniden 510 into my wife's Armada for us to communicate when convoying and she can hear me much better than I can hear her at times.

Just some input....your choice though!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Granite Guru

I have had both the Uniden 520 (have now) and the cobra 75w...I can tell you I HATED the cobra75 and got VERY poor tx/rx capabilities.

I love my uniden and it has a PA mode as well!! It receives and sends in crystal clear form

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
post #5 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i have the 510 havent gotten to use it on the trail yet but cant get a couple miles out of it on a normal day very compact and its mounted next to the drivers knee

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #6 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Wheeler

I have the 520, and it works great.

I DON"T GET DRUNK........I GET AWESOME!
post #7 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Wheeler

Get the cheapest cb you can, and go with a ham. A nice FT-8800 or a 710 and you can't go wrong.
IMO...

KJ6HEJ
post #8 of 13 Old 06-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Rock God

I have had the 75 for about 3 years and with a external Speaker and it works great for me! It dose not take up much room plus very easy to remove the mic when the doors and top is off! Out of site and out of mind.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Wheeler

Uniden

I went with the Uniden 520 because of the PA feature, and it wasnt that much extra to upgrade.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Uniden 520xl here. Couldn't be happier with it. The JK is the 2nd (or 3rd) Jeep I've had it in. Love the size, simplicity, clear reception/ transmission, signal strength, and lack of interference.

I also have it hooked to a PA under the hood.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

My wife and I both have Uniden Pro XL 520s, peak & tuned to 8w and they work great!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Rock God

Get a ham ticket and go big!
post #13 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've got a 510 and had it turned up to 12W when purchased and it works great. $60, too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode