2012 JKUR wiring problems - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-12-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

2012 JKUR wiring problems

2012 JKUR w factory remote start.

I am having 2 issues related to wiring and think they may be associated. the issue i am having is my jeep horn keeps on sounding on drivers side of my 2012 like an alarm, but no lights flash. i disconnected the battery and waited a bit but as soon as both terminals are touched, the horn/alarm starts going off. This started shortly after i connected 2 wires to drivers side door harness. they both have little light blue covers and they connect to red plastic clips that are on the outside of the wires that connect to the harness. i am not certain they are connected properly so i went ahead and disconnected them along with the door harness. disconnected battery and after reconnecting, still have the horn/alarm sound.

second there is a green wire running along the engine bay on the drivers side, that seems to be connected to horn that is right behind/under (?) the drivers side headlamp. it has a blue cover that connects to some round plastic housing. I tried to disconnect the wire to see if that would stop the sound, but i unfortunately ripped the round housing from the wire it was connected to. The jeep horn alarm has stopped but i am unaware what damage i may have caused or what can be done to fix the issue.

The green wire absolutely is connected to the horns as now I don't have a horn sound when pushing on the steering wheel. Also when i use the remote to unlock the doors, the car alarm goes off until i put key into the ignition and start the vehicle. I know it is the regular car alarm because the lights will flash.

Please help, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Rock God

take some pictures and share those it will better help understand what all you are talking about. It sounds like an after market alarm to me.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 PM
JKO Addict!

No clue on your issue but how about some free, online wiring schematics to use:

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-13-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

I will update with pictures tomorrow. Alarm, and remote start are all direct from factory. nothing new electrical has been installed. Purchased the Jeep brand new in 2012.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-16-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Attached are the pictures of the wires that I'm having issues with. I do have factory alarm and remote start. The first picture is the two wires that connect to the driver side door wire harness and the second picture is of the green wire running along the drivers side under the hood. While trying to disconnect from the blue housing, I ripped the wire causing the horn to stop sounding. Nothing has been upgraded to cause such a change. Any advice?
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

My immediate educated GUESS consists of two suppositions ; (1) you may not be the original owner of this Jeep ( not that important but ...) & (2) whomever you purchased it from maybe had circumvented the alarm system by way of splicing into and bypassing the alarm wires with that crude wiring job ? You undoing said cruddy wiring has resulted in the thing now barking because it has something that was overriding the door security that's no longer there ...if you see the stock horn wire there its cut so there's that green one that was run thru to reenabke the horn.

I am nearly totally GUESSING but that's some strangeness to be sure...I would reference the schematics that White13JKUR posted to ID those wires +get my multimeter out to start hunting down that 'engineering job's intended function....best I've got on that
[Edit: I just saw the bought-new in 2012 comment so scratch my supposition#1 ...that is NOT factory wiring , man.....]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-16-2016 at 04:19 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-17-2016, 04:58 AM
Rock God

maybe it was a aftermarket/mopar alarm added by the dealer before you bought it ? but yeah i agree that's not factory wiring.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Rock God

x2. Definitely not stock wiring. Hopefully the dealership will own up to this. Can't tell where exactly that green wire is run, but it isn't even in a loom...someone didn't do the best job on that wiring project!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-23-2016, 12:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
No clue on your issue but how about some free, online wiring schematics to use:

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

Sadly, these online schematics are no longer online. Just in time for me to want to use them. The link worked for years and through last week.

Anyone know of a new link for online schematics?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Wheeler

My guess is aftermarket alarm system. The yellow wires are probably the dome light circuit most alarms hook into. When you hooked up the wires you set the box into alarm causing it to trigger the horn and its locked in. Trace the wires under the dash to find out where the alarm is and disconnect it.

cadoffroad.com
2014 JKU Freedom Edition Hydro Blue
MC 3.5" Lift
37" Milestar Patagonia Tires
ATX Ravine 17x9 Rims
Barricade (SRC) Roof Rack
Barricade Front Bumper
Smittybilt XRC 12000 Lb Winch
D44 Yukon Zip Locker - 4.56
ARB Locked ProRock44 Front w/ 35 Spline Shafts
LOD Rock Rails
MC Overline Fender Flares
CAD adjustable F/R bump stops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode