interior lights....again - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-08-2016, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

interior lights....again

I got a pm from someone today and this is what they are asking.

I just bought a new JKU this week and would like to install interior LED lights similar to the ones you have done. I would like to have them come on when the door opens as well as when the head lights turn on. so my question is what wire should i use to connect these up? I am sure I am saying something not correct. I will have an electrician help me with this. Maybe I should ask what color wire should I look for and the location.

Thank you for the help!

David

Is it possible to have the interior lights come on when the doors open and also when the headlights turn on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Rock God

First question is, why would you want them to come on with the headlights? That's just creates a nightmare seeing outside when it's dark.

Besides that, is it not easy enough to turn the dash light dimmer all the way on to "always on"?
post #3 of 12 Old 02-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

It seems like a bad idea to me too, but if that's what they really want, then you'd need to use a relay on both the dome light and the headlight circuits to power them. That way the dome light would not be trying to power the headlight circuit and vice versa.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Rock God

my idea was usage of diodes to control which circuit supplies power versus each circuit trying to apply power at the same time as in instances of headlights turned on and a door open.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Granite Guru

whatever they do, i think they need to put in some sort of override switch to turn the interior lights off when the headlights are on. having interior lights on while driving at night can be quite annoying and potentially unsafe as well.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-08-2016, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the information so far. I also have a Mercedes and the foot wells have a dim light on all the time. It is nice to have this on. I agree that a bright many light would be distracting. Just looking for an ambient light.

Thanks
post #7 of 12 Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

doing the with dome light and with headlights is more involved. I have lights on parts of the dash that come on with the headlights. But mine is an 07 and the dash has little "steps" built into them to make sure that the light only goes down.

The Led strips at autozone work great and you can pre place them to see how they will look. I have some in the footwells that are tucked up good enough where it does not overpower the driver.

Red and green are good choices because they don't affect your night vision as say a bright white would do.

What year is your jeep?

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 AM

Good morning. Sorry for the delay. I have a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-2016, 07:09 AM
Rock God

If you truly want them on, just use the dimmer switch and rotate it to fully on. It will turn the interior lights on whenever you want.

As for footwell, I wired some LED square stickies from superbrightleds to turn on with the dash lights. I believe it was a grey with orange stripe wire behind the window switches. Therefore it turns on with headlights and also are dimmable and turn on when the dimmer switch is rotate to always on.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-09-2016, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

don't know if the wires have changed but you can try behind the power window switches is an orange wire with silver stripe. That should make the lights dimmable. Just make sure that they are dimmable before you button everything up.

I would put a small strip above the heater controls (looks like there is room there) you will have to drill a hole in the dash to run the wires through to tie them into that orange wire with silver stripe.

Try to find the ones at autozone with the push to test button on them already. That way you can find the best position for them before you tape them and wire them up permanently. For the footwells you can either use the same wire to power them so they are dimmable or you can have them at full power all the time. Again test locations before you mount them permanently.

http://www.autozone.com/exterior-lig...ht/976054_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/exterior-lig...ght/60059_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/exterior-lig...ght/60050_0_0/

I suggest that you do not use white lights.

Quote:
Quote:
post #11 of 12 Old 02-09-2016, 09:25 PM

Thank you again for the help. I plan on doing this tomorrow and will use the orange and silver wire so i can dim them.

This has been very helpful.

David
post #12 of 12 Old 02-10-2016, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhardrock View Post
Thank you again for the help. I plan on doing this tomorrow and will use the orange and silver wire so i can dim them.

This has been very helpful.

David
Remember to check it out to make sure before you permanently wire them and put everything back together.

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode