lifted rubi- esc nightmare! help... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

lifted rubi- esc nightmare! help...

I'm posting to try to help a friend... the rig is a '10 Rubi 6spd, with a 4" rough country lift. The esc is going nuts- overriding the steering, applying the brakes... etc. I tried the esc override by doing the steering wheel/ button push routine that I found here, but I can't get it to accept the sequence and disable the esc. Any ideas? The Jeep is pretty much undriveable, and it only has 5500 miles on it. Any help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Wheeler

Is the steering wheel centered? If wheel is not centered it trips the esp bas traction control. Loosen the drag link sleeve and turn sleeve, drive 1/4 block checking wheel, may need to turn other way, repeat until wheel is centered.

08 Silver Rubicon
3" springs, shoxs, fuca's, adj f tracbar, SS brake lines, drag link flip and brace, steering stabilizer, 9.5Ti, frt bumper
post #3 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Rock God

And disconnect battery to reset computer.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

The JK is VERY picky about having the steering wheel PERFECTLY centered, as suggested. No biggie- just get it straight and you should be fine.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

keep trying the disable, be as precise as you can. it'll go. i've run my disabled for over a year now, love not having to jack with it and be able to pitch it sideways in 2wd on the trail!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

OK thanks everyone.. I will try adjusting the steering wheel and go again. I'll post back and see if it works.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

it still will suck and be twitchy. someone need to figure how to "adjust" the sensor instead of just turning it all off
post #8 of 12 Old 06-09-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

one more thing... if the wheels that are on the rig DO NOT have TPMS sensors in them, will that affect me being able to perform the disable?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr hook View Post
one more thing... if the wheels that are on the rig DO NOT have TPMS sensors in them, will that affect me being able to perform the disable?
No, you can still disable it.

Make sure you start the vehicle, put it in 4-high, center the steering wheel by going from 11:00 to 2:00 position, then backing it to exact center. Now, turn the wheel at least 180 degrees to the right (I found it works if you go a bit past 180) and hold it. DO NOT let the wheel move back at all - even a tiny bit. Hold the ESP disable button for 7 seconds. Sometimes it will chime, sometimes not. Then, turn the wheel back to center, then another 180 degrees (or a little more) to the left. Once again, don't let that wheel move back at all. Press the ESP button for another 7 seconds. You may hear a chime, maybe not. Doesn't matter. Now, turn the wheel to center and push the ESP button for 7 seconds. I've never heard a chime when doing this. Turn off the key. Restart the vehicle. If you see the traction control light illuminate (and not go out), as well as ESP Off in the DIC, you were successful.

The first time I tried this I couldn't get it to work, even after trying ten times. I did something else, came back, and tried it and went a little past 180 degrees each time and made sure that wheel didn't go backwards in each position. It worked the first time. Now, I can disable/enable the ESP every time.

Don't give up.

Iacta alea est. (The die is cast)

--Julius Caesar, Divus Julius xxxii; spoken at the crossing of the Rubicon

Last edited by Phil Howell; 06-10-2010 at 11:50 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Steering wheel isn't centered. This same thing happened to me after my lift. I took it for a quick test down the road once completed and the Jeep was out of control nuts with codes, steering, and brakes. Took it to the alignment rack and used an AEV Procal to readjust my steering center. All better, drives great.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #11 of 12 Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

OK thanks guys. I recentered the steering wheel via the drag link several times and still had no luck. My friend is out of town so it will be a few days before I can get it to tryagain. Thanks again for the helpful advice!
post #12 of 12 Old 06-11-2010, 05:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr hook View Post
OK thanks guys. I recentered the steering wheel via the drag link several times and still had no luck. My friend is out of town so it will be a few days before I can get it to tryagain. Thanks again for the helpful advice!
it does take a few key cycles for the code to reset. if it still doesnt reset he can pull the J6 fuse to kill the ab/esp till he gets it figured out

here is fuse panel diagram
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode