Fridge / Battery / Charger - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Fridge / Battery / Charger

Okay,

So I am not sure what the best option would be....and if there are any safety concerns in doing this.

I just bought an ARB fridge....should be shipped out by month end. (I am stoked!!) In anycase, I am thinking of mounting it permanently in the rear of the jeep. I am also thinking of installing a dual battery kit.

What my question is, would it be beneficial to install one of those XPS marine on-board battery chargers? I was thinking that, while I am at home I can plug my jeep in (maybe install a "shore power" inlet) and run the fridge on AC, while having the charger maintain my batteries to help increase the life of them. I hear that people are having troubles with the optima batteries when using a fridge with it and them never being fully charged etc.

If you have any other ideas or even different battery options that will fit on the dual battery tray (I think the K.I.S.S one??) I am all ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Granite Guru

I'm currently running the KISS (aka Stage 2) in my JK with an ARB fridge and it works great. Running it on dual optima yellow tops.

Any particular reason you want the ability to run the fridge on AC while at home?

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #3 of 13 Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I actually sent you guys an email today about two hours ago, I placed my order for the KISS kit.

I guess I figured running it on AC, and charging the batteries up would be easier. But now I am thinking of using a solar panel to keep the batteries topped up.

How do you have your fridge installed? I would love to see pictures and if you can, details on how it's mounted.

I am pretty excited about this fridge.

Currently I have a deep cycle blue top in my jeep, but that will be my AUX battery once I get the KISS kit. Would it be okay to run my stocker as the starter battery, and the blue top as the aux for now, until I buy a yellow top as my starter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

I've had my fridge installed here fulltime for about 3 years now. One of my favorite mods. I use a hellroaring isolator to keep the rear aux
battery charged up. I usually hook a low amp charger up to the aux battery for over night about once a month if I am not driving the
jeep much.
I dont have room under the hood for dual batterys, and added the fridge long before the dual battery mounts came out
when I still had the 3.8 under the hood, but the under the fridge mount for the battery has worked great.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsy; 06-11-2010 at 10:13 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
How do you have your fridge installed? I would love to see pictures and if you can, details on how it's mounted.
This is the only photo I have right now, but with the explaination you'll get what I mean : My Engel 12v fridge comes with a flat lock plate which is bolted permanently to the Bestop Cargo tray in the photo (it's the 2-door JK tray that I cut and adapted to fit with soft top on 4dr JK). The lockplate allows the Fridge to be easily removable, and when in place is secure and sits tight on the left side, allowing decent rear view.

I have the Benchmark dual tray with Yellow top Optimas, and leave the fridge powered on while camping to the accessory battery.

I prefer the Fridge mounted on the Cargo tray so it doesn't take-up room in the lower trunk area, or seat area. Works great.

Pls VOTE for kid's Lego Jeep JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35s on 7105 17x9, 2.5" TF coil lift, AEV snorkel, Warrior steel Fenders, Lightforce spots, Rigid 12" Lightbar in hood scoop, Skids & side Armor, Katzkin Leather, Ravelco, Duster, Trunk Lockbox & Cargo Tray. >> FRONT Olympic Rock + Stinger + Ares winch plate + Warn 9.5. >> REAR Expedition One carrier + 53" Hi-Lift.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for those pics guys.

@DSY: I have seen your pics on the expeditionportal I believe. I like where yours is set up. I am debating on there, or in the cargo area. Only problem is, I would love to have a bolt-in solution, and since I am not a welder etc etc, I wouldnt be able to make mounts like what you have.

As far as the batteries go, my main concern is battery life. I hear these optimas have been dieing every year for certain people...any suggestions on that as well?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
As far as the batteries go, my main concern is battery life. I hear these optimas have been dieing every year for certain people...any suggestions on that as well?
Have been very happy with the diehard which is a rebranded Odyssey

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #8 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

what guage wire are you guys running to the fridge from the battery? I guess for DSY that doesnt matter because you're inches from the battery. But my dual will be under the hood.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Rock God

Fridge? For in the Jeep? I didn't even know they made such things. You guys are nuts! But it is cool...or at least your will be.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I will be posting pics of mine....loaded with beers...I think 72 of them will fit in there???

Do they have Labatt's 50 in the states?? LOL I'll load er up with that....
post #11 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Fridge is in, I think I am going to build custom drawer / shelf in the rear of the jeep to mount the fridge to. Make room for putting either more drawers for pillows etc (I put my name on one of AT's Flippacs for the JK), or for a small 700watt microwave and recovery gear (ropes, winch controller, a few shackles etc.)
post #12 of 13 Old 07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Here's the Engel on their Transit Slide base plate which locks the fridge onto the cargo tray, and very quick to remove.

Pls VOTE for kid's Lego Jeep JK @

35s on 7105 17x9, 2.5" TF coil lift, AEV snorkel, Warrior steel Fenders, Lightforce spots, Rigid 12" Lightbar in hood scoop, Skids & side Armor, Katzkin Leather, Ravelco, Duster, Trunk Lockbox & Cargo Tray. >> FRONT Olympic Rock + Stinger + Ares winch plate + Warn 9.5. >> REAR Expedition One carrier + 53" Hi-Lift.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Wheeler

I just finished (for the most part) the rear storage/fridge mount/aux battery set-up for my 4dr JK. My requirements:
  • Keep the back seats
  • Keep access to cubby storage
  • Keep access to jack storage
  • Include aux battery storage
  • No holes in jeep to mount storage/fridge

This is what I ended up with:

Drop down door for extra shelf space

Inside of storage with trap door to cubby storage

Access to cubby storage

Slide out shelf

Slide out for fridge

Fully extended

Rear of unit behind back seats housing aux battery storage, aux 12 fuse panel, and 800 watt inverter. I had to step the lid to the battery box to clear the slant of the rear seat and I wanted to keep a flat surface for more storage on top.

Aux battery

Other electronics

2013 AEV JKUR with Ursa Minor J30 top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode