Electric Cooling Fan control - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to JonNorth
Question Electric Cooling Fan control

Hey Guys, I have a big problem with my 08 Jeep Wrangler 4 door.

Electric fan burnt out before, and I didn't know that at the time, so the fuse kept blowing for the fan. I did what I was not supposed to and soldered the fuse top connections together, and turned the truck on.

When I did that, something burnt. I don't know what burnt, but I could smell something burning at the time, plus saw some smoke a little. Now I have a new electric fan in there, but had to resort getting creative with wiring and had to install a switch in the cab to run the fan when it got hot.

I really would like to fix the original problem. I have tried a few things. A relay in the back of the driver side headlight was replaced, then I tried installing a new 2 speed relay (on the fan shroud). Still the electric fan wont turn on by itself. I did also change the temperature sensor on the top front of the engine, but I don't know if this controls the electric cooling fan, or is that for something else?

After the fuse, what would burn out? I am stumped. I am assuming it might be the actual wiring.

Please help!

J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 PM
Rock God

It probably is a wire. The load carrying part of the circuit in the TIPM is a lot heavier than any of the wires.

You need to do some multimeter work from the TIPM to the fan motor, and from the TIPM to the relay behind the left head light.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 4 Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to JonNorth

Thank you, I'll try to locate the burnt wire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-13-2016, 03:08 AM
Rock God

When the engine is hot disconnect the high AC pressure switch and see if the fan comes on.

Most likey you have burnt the fan control circut in the TIPM. Also check the fan relay in the tipm, and behind headlight with test light and see if there is any current there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode