Electrical Gremlin. Got any ideas? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-24-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Electrical Gremlin. Got any ideas?

Last night about 11:30 my daughter, whose upstairs window is on the front of our house, woke up to flashing lights in the driveway. No, not that kind of flashing lights; they were all white. Our driveway slopes up to the house and she said they were so bright they lit up her room even with the wood venetian blinds closed.

When she looked out the window, my light bar was flashing on and off. She said it was not a regular pattern, and sometimes it didn't come to full brightness, but other times it did. She said the full width of the light bar was lighting up, not just sections. And she said it kept doing it for quite a while, so she just went back to sleep, so I'm a little surprised my battery wasn't dead this morning.

This is an LED Warehouse 50" bar with a pre-fabbed switch harness, and it's wired directly into my Genesis Offroad dual battery kit. The harness has a relay for power to the light bar, as it should, and only the switch wires run into the cab. The only thing I could figure was a bad relay or switch making random contact, so I went out a bit ago and checked things out.

The switch seems fine and works as it should. So my only other thought is that maybe the relay got some water into it and was shorting out. We've had a lot of rain lately, and the relay is mounted laying sideways rather than upright (I know, not ideal, but it's also not permanent), so that might allow some water incursion.

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of weird low-voltage condition, but again, the starting battery was fine this morning and showed no signs of weakness when I started it up. It's a brand new (2 months) Odyssey 1500 marine battery, so it shouldn't be having issues unless something drained it, but again it showed no weakness this morning.

Anyway, what say you JKO? Any other suggestions?

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Rock God

Sounds like a scene from a bad horror movie.

My thought would be the same as yours, either the switch or relay. Either one could in theory cause it. I'd probably switch both of them out so I wouldn't have to spend more time troubleshooting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode