Police Spots Vs. Windshield Lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Exclamation Police Spots Vs. Windshield Lights

I'm tired of the fixed position, blind the guy on the trail in front of you useless slimlights I have and am considering police spotlights. I'd love two with the tandem syncro-bar (above the dash) working off of one adjuster (drivers side), that can be disconnected to be independent.

Anyone ever done this on a jk? I think it'd be the most useful rock-light, work light, spot straight light, etc that money could buy.

LXMANNY is this something you can get your hands on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had one of them on one of my big trucks, real nice. It would be hard to run the handle through the tiny pillar....

post #3 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Ipe
Rock God

You might want to consider Go-Light pods. As I understand it they are fully articulating, electronically remotely controlled.

Here's another, more streamlined option

FWIW - I've never used one but have seen these on lots of police, rescue and other state highway emergency vehicles.
Good Luck, I'll be interested to see what you come up with for a solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I had one of them on one of my big trucks, real nice. It would be hard to run the handle through the tiny pillar....

Funny this subject came up today...

Eventually they get loose and flop around.. even my PoPo friends hate them on their cars. My PoPo friend just got a brand new car and was just yesterday complaining that his spot light leaked in the rain and would drip on his leg.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

They worked well for the boat, I almost was at the point of buying the flir set up like those above now that would be bad ass on the jeep! Talk about stealth mode!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #6 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 02:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Funny this subject came up today...

Eventually they get loose and flop around.. even my PoPo friends hate them on their cars. My PoPo friend just got a brand new car and was just yesterday complaining that his spot light leaked in the rain and would drip on his leg.
Must have been dripping on his doughNutz.... I hear that makes the po-po grumpy
post #7 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Must have been dripping on his doughNutz.... I hear that makes the po-po grumpy
Hmmmm ... first hand knowledge???

The "PoPo" friend I was referring too is a short dude.. so when he stopped by in the biblical deluge we had yesterday complaing of the leaking new car.. I asked him why he didn't get that pissed when they delivered it to him without a booster seat.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #8 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
You might want to consider Go-Light pods. As I understand it they are fully articulating, electronically remotely controlled.

Here's another, more streamlined option

FWIW - I've never used one but have seen these on lots of police, rescue and other state highway emergency vehicles.
Good Luck, I'll be interested to see what you come up with for a solution.
Those look cool and get the mag mount model with weather proof plugs.. Put it on the bumper, side of Jeep, hood, tailgate, etc.. I can see buying that for $130 over a set of spot lights..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #9 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the feedback, the pillar may indeed be too small after looking closer at it, as for the FLIR looking lights, well I called them and that model you posted was only about $140, not sure where it'd mounth, it has a mag base but is recommended to perm-mount. The next version up is pretty huge and hits in about $300+ I was told, then found the Profiler for around $300 (military handheld).

I'm going to keep searching around ideas...I need a Yeti hunting spotlight, never know what's behind the wild-berry bushes at night and I need some serious lighting
post #10 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Thanks for the feedback, the pillar may indeed be too small after looking closer at it, as for the FLIR looking lights, well I called them and that model you posted was only about $140, not sure where it'd mounth, it has a mag base but is recommended to perm-mount. The next version up is pretty huge and hits in about $300+ I was told, then found the Profiler for around $300 (military handheld).

I'm going to keep searching around ideas...I need a Yeti hunting spotlight, never know what's behind the wild-berry bushes at night and I need some serious lighting
SAS - Amazon has that same light for $130 with free shipping..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #11 of 35 Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Hmmmm ... first hand knowledge???
Yes - it makes the powdered sugar all runny and nasty.

Seriously though, I had them in every patrol car/truck/SUV that I was issued and never had one leak..... everydamnthing else went wrong but no leaks at the light. And we get some frog strangling turd floating rains around here similar to what y'all get.

Quote:
The "PoPo" friend I was referring too is a short dude.. so when he stopped by in the biblical deluge we had yesterday complaing of the leaking new car.. I asked him why he didn't get that pissed when they delivered it to him without a booster seat.

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 06-04-2010 at 07:37 PM.
post #12 of 35 Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:

Here's a suggestion:

Why not get some windshield pillar mounts and then fabricate a pair of round steel plates that you could mount to them? Now you'be got a low profile, removable mounting option for the mag mount GoBee lights. With them mounted on the pillar you have plenty of left-right swivel room and lots of up and down travel. Theoretically you could slew both to point at the same target. When you're done on the trail it'd be easy to remove both the lights and the round mounting disks while leaving the windshield pillar brackets in place.

Just a thought.

post #13 of 35 Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Nav-TV makes a FLIR that can be played back on the MyGig....for only $3495.00 pretty cool though. No need for spotlight.

http://navtv.com/product.php?ProductID=85

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #14 of 35 Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Ive only been in front of those lights, never behind.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #15 of 35 Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Boolshit. i know you been shinin'.....frogs and stuff

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #16 of 35 Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Here's a suggestion:

Why not get some windshield pillar mounts and then fabricate a pair of round steel plates that you could mount to them? Now you'be got a low profile, removable mounting option for the mag mount GoBee lights. With them mounted on the pillar you have plenty of left-right swivel room and lots of up and down travel. Theoretically you could slew both to point at the same target. When you're done on the trail it'd be easy to remove both the lights and the round mounting disks while leaving the windshield pillar brackets in place.

Just a thought.

Not sure I got all that but it sounds cool.
post #17 of 35 Old 06-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Rock God

The GoLight option is super, they rotate 370 degrees, up to 500,000 candlepower and can be remotely operated from 100 ft away

I used one on my Xterra for almost three years and had it mounted on the roof !

Cantbeatem

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #18 of 35 Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:

Not sure I got all that but it sounds cool.
Ok... lemme see if I can muddle through an explanation here. Bear with me, K?

Lets start with a generic windshield light bracket. This is an Olympic that I linked from the quadrastuff site
(Yes, I know its a TJ but the Quadraguys say that it fits a JK too )

Now imagine that you bolt a circular platform to the flat mounting portion of this bracket.

Put it on the vehicle. Now you have a mounting bracket and a flat steel disk.

Finally sit your mag mounted GoBee light on top of the steel disk. Bear with me and imagine the other light not there. My chop-fu is weak Oh, and I have no clue if the scale is correct. I doubt it.

If you do it right there would be minimal difference between the steel plate diameter and the GoBee light base diameter so it would give a clean look. Have a machine shop cut the disks for you. Have them powder coated or painted to keep them from rusting. Make a quick release harness that you can plug into or disconnect whenever you need/don't need it and you can remove these without issue. Clean, neat, tidy. I hope this helps.

post #19 of 35 Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Boolshit. i know you been shinin'.....frogs and stuff
Not with that kind of light though.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #20 of 35 Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Ok... lemme see if I can muddle through an explanation here. Bear with me, K?

Lets start with a generic windshield light bracket. This is an Olympic that I linked from the quadrastuff site
(Yes, I know its a TJ but the Quadraguys say that it fits a JK too )

Now imagine that you bolt a circular platform to the flat mounting portion of this bracket.

Put it on the vehicle. Now you have a mounting bracket and a flat steel disk.

Finally sit your mag mounted GoBee light on top of the steel disk. Bear with me and imagine the other light not there. My chop-fu is weak Oh, and I have no clue if the scale is correct. I doubt it.

If you do it right there would be minimal difference between the steel plate diameter and the GoBee light base diameter so it would give a clean look. Have a machine shop cut the disks for you. Have them powder coated or painted to keep them from rusting. Make a quick release harness that you can plug into or disconnect whenever you need/don't need it and you can remove these without issue. Clean, neat, tidy. I hope this helps.

That's pretty brilliant, I think it would be cool to have it removable, I could build a plate that bolts into my Delta billet alum mounts. What would be slick would be having two, mount the remotes on the dash where you could access both on the fly. These particular model of their lights are reasonable compared to others I've seen, just curious how durable they are for $130. Thanks for the ideas.
post #21 of 35 Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:

That's pretty brilliant
Brilliant, damn, I think I'm gonna blush. Thanks SAS.

Quote:

That's pretty brilliant, I think it would be cool to have it removable, I could build a plate that bolts into my Delta billet alum mounts. What would be slick would be having two, mount the remotes on the dash where you could access both on the fly. These particular model of their lights are reasonable compared to others I've seen, just curious how durable they are for $130. Thanks for the ideas.
Yeah, when I envisioned this I always thought this solution would have you getting two lights to mount the same as you would with standard windshield mount lights.

As for durability... I donno. I found these reviews for the stanchion boat mount and one review for the mag mount. Overall people seem to have a good impression of them.

Good luck and if you go that route be sure to show us once you get them installed.

post #22 of 35 Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Brilliant, damn, I think I'm gonna blush. Thanks SAS.
Calm down slappy

Quote:
Good luck and if you go that route be sure to show us once you get them installed.
eehhh not sure about that, I'm kind of quiet on here and am pretty shy, not sure I'll post up any pics...
post #23 of 35 Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Rock God

Well, I'm not in favor of the windshield Golight mounting, the things are designed to turn 370 degrees and that would be lost on the windshields

Mine on top the X, performed 3 years after sun/wind/sand/snow/rain and never skipped a beat

If you put anything on the windshield area, that EASILY removable---ByBy

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #24 of 35 Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Well, I'm not in favor of the windshield Golight mounting, the things are designed to turn 370 degrees and that would be lost on the windshields

Mine on top the X, performed 3 years after sun/wind/sand/snow/rain and never skipped a beat

If you put anything on the windshield area, that EASILY removable---ByBy

JIMBO
These can be perm-mounted, I'd never bother with the magnet base. Top mounting on a jk wouldn't work for me unless it was on a rack which I got rid of and don't care to have another anyway. I don't care for a single light up there, just doesn't look right . Useful lighting for me includes the front area, sides, etc, with some adjustability.
post #25 of 35 Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Rock God

YUP, although it was cool to sit at a campfire and operate the Golight 20 yards away !

Quote:
These can be perm-mounted, I'd never bother with the magnet base. Top mounting on a jk wouldn't work for me unless it was on a rack which I got rid of and don't care to have another anyway. I don't care for a single light up there, just doesn't look right . Useful lighting for me includes the front area, sides, etc, with some adjustability.
Thats why I had the hard wired/mounted light on my X, but not on my JK !!

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode