KC Slimlights + 100w H3 = no issues? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Question KC Slimlights + 100w H3 = no issues?

After running around a few months with useless non-working windshield lights due to dealership destroying my harness, I re-ran the lights with a brand new harness, relay, etc and now having useless-working KC Slimlight windshield lights . I'm using a 40a KC relay w/harness. The lights are not all that bright and I haven't pulled to check yet but assume they come w/55w bulbs out of the box. AutoZone sells 100w H3 replacements for $8 ea.

I should be just fine with that 40a relay correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Yep, they'll run 15-20a for the both of them. I think I found ebay 130w or something that I had in my Ranger. Still doesn't compare to tossing a $40 HID kit in it though.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Yep, they'll run 15-20a for the both of them. I think I found ebay 130w or something that I had in my Ranger. Still doesn't compare to tossing a $40 HID kit in it though.
hmmmm....tell me more of this HID kit young Jedi...where must I look ObiOne?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

If you would have looked a little deeper in that box of wires you would have seen the two sets of hid stuff that I had before I finally installed the cebie set up from stern. Just get a 100 or 130 watt bulbs for 'em and be done with it, get the bull bar lights up and running as well. Hid is great but getting a bulb sucks, hence the reason the hid stuff got thrown I. A box and the stern stuff finally made it out of the toolbox and on the jeep, now a bulb goes out I can hot any auto parts or Wally world and be up and running, hid bulbs not so easy. Plus the hid warm up is annoying along with mounting the ballast with the short leads to the lights sucks as well. They are nice and bright but are a hassle if one goes out and mounting all the crap.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #5 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
If you would have looked a little deeper in that box of wires you would have seen the two sets of hid stuff that I had before I finally installed the cebie set up from stern. Just get a 100 or 130 watt bulbs for 'em and be done with it, get the bull bar lights up and running as well. Hid is great but getting a bulb sucks, hence the reason the hid stuff got thrown I. A box and the stern stuff finally made it out of the toolbox and on the jeep, now a bulb goes out I can hot any auto parts or Wally world and be up and running, hid bulbs not so easy. Plus the hid warm up is annoying along with mounting the ballast with the short leads to the lights sucks as well. They are nice and bright but are a hassle if one goes out and mounting all the crap.
Bullbar lights are all refreshed with a brand new harness, the IPF lights are topnotch, way better than the cheap walmart hella's I had on thereWindshield lights are working now too, just going to pick up some 100w bulbs in a little while and then install the rear rock lights.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

im dissapointed with my k/c's as well. they give more glare than light lol.

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #7 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes-jk View Post
im dissapointed with my k/c's as well. they give more glare than light lol.
yeah exactly, my wife has the same slimlites and hers are twice as bright.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
hmmmm....tell me more of this HID kit young Jedi...where must I look ObiOne?
i have a $40 (shipped) HID H3 kit in my Hella lights and am very happy with them. Once installed they are not a big deal, little more involved than just a bulb swap, but not bad at all. Per pair they draw about 14amps if I remember right. They'll kick out more than any replacement bulb you can get your hands on. Haven't had any issues with bulbs going out in the extremely bumpy off-roading we have out here. There is no filament to break like in a halogen in off-road conditions.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #9 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
i have a $40 (shipped) HID H3 kit in my Hella lights and am very happy with them. Once installed they are not a big deal, little more involved than just a bulb swap, but not bad at all. Per pair they draw about 14amps if I remember right. They'll kick out more than any replacement bulb you can get your hands on. Haven't had any issues with bulbs going out in the extremely bumpy off-roading we have out here. There is no filament to break like in a halogen in off-road conditions.

Awesome, shoot me the "wear" you got them info por favor!
post #10 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Last ones i bought went into my 'Cuda. The pattern is a little scattered with the HIDs in my Hellas, however they do light pretty well for ~"$80/pr" lights.

http://stores.ebay.com/xenonwholesale88

post #11 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

friggin sweet Goody, thanks for the info
post #12 of 17 Old 06-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Granite Guru

Heres a write up I found a while back. I plan on doing this myself later this month.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...771#post718771

But read this post for more info on HID swap outs
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

I say screw it, I'm gonna try it.

2007 Sahara 2dr, 3.5" RK X Factor Plus Long Arm, Dana 44 Rubicon front axle w/locker, Dana 44 Rear, Poison Spyder BFH w/stinger, Poison Spyder fenders F&R, Poison Spyder Rocker Knocker, 37" Pitbull Rockers Bias Ply, 17x9 Spyderlocks, 1350 Drive shafts, Hard Rock 4x4 Rear bumper w/tire carrier & gas can mounts, Poly Pro front axle tube, Poison Spyder evap skid. Upcoming: RR Snorkel, Skid plates
post #13 of 17 Old 06-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

looks like a better/cheaper solution than buying some ipf's.

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #14 of 17 Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Rock God

My KC's are fine

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #15 of 17 Old 06-13-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
My KC's are fine

JIMBO
looks like my wifes Rubi,
post #16 of 17 Old 06-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Rock God

Rats, I told her not to take it out in the fog !!

So she's got a yellow one to huh ??

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #17 of 17 Old 06-13-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Rats, I told her not to take it out in the fog !!

So she's got a yellow one to huh ??

JIMBO
Yeah, bought it for her last year, she loves it, rides like a cadillac compared to my Yeti anomally.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode