Rubicon Rear Locker engagement issue. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage
Rubicon Rear Locker engagement issue.

I have noticed that the rear locker on my Rubicon isn't working/engaging in 4hi. When I push the button, the light comes on flashing and never goes solid in 4hi. If I shift down into 4lo, the light goes solid and I have a working/engaged rear locker.

As far as I can recall... the locker did work in 4hi at some point in the past.

I wouldn't think there is an issue with the locker, since it does work in 4lo.... but who knows?

Any ideas before I take it to the dealer.... to which I am sure their answer will be, "your vehicle was modified, sorry."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

They use of the factory lockers only works in 4lo....unless you do a bypass mod to use them in 4hi. there is a thread on here somewhere

Here is the thread I went by when doing this mod https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24664

Last edited by JDodge; 06-04-2010 at 12:25 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Rock God

Here's a writeup by Texas' own Phil D!!!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ghlight=locker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDodge View Post
They use of the factory lockers only works in 4lo....unless you do a bypass mod to use them in 4hi. there is a thread on here somewhere

Here is the thread I went by when doing this mod https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24664
I understand the bypass switches... but are you guys saying that the rear locker is not suppose to work at all in 4hi? That doesn't make sense.

EDIT: I just looked at the owners manual.... I guess this is the case (4lo only). For some reason I thought it worked in 4hi as some point in the past.

Thanks. I guess I need to do the mod.

Last edited by abendx; 06-04-2010 at 12:56 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
I understand the bypass switches... but are you guys saying that the rear locker is not suppose to work at all in 4hi? That doesn't make sense.
It's a safety legal deal. Since 4hi is used on some street conditions it really becomes a safety issue when diffs are locked. Jeep doesn't want to be sued by some idiot that buys a Rubicon and has no clue how to operate it. Esp with the explosion of the 4dr market and all the new Jeepers that brought in.

There are ways to rewire and install bypass switches as the others mentioned to activate lockers or Superchips flashpaq will allow you to override the lockers in 4hi, but only one f/r can be locked in 4hi. I believe the Superchips will still be overridden once a certain speed is attained and the diff will be unlocked. Not sure about Hypertech if such feature exist. But there are options.

08 Silver Rubicon
3" springs, shoxs, fuca's, adj f tracbar, SS brake lines, drag link flip and brace, steering stabilizer, 9.5Ti, frt bumper
post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Granite Guru

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24664

Best tech thread write up ever. this will allow you to use your lockers anytime you want, even two wheel drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tech Support Contact:
901-382-8888 Phone
901-373-5290 Fax

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post

EDIT: I just looked at the owners manual.... I guess this is the case (4lo only). For some reason I thought it worked in 4hi as some point in the past.

Thanks. I guess I need to do the mod.
Yep, 4-low only. I only hacked my rear locker so i can play in 2wd. I don't have the power, or guts to slip my clutch enough to need my front locker in 4-hi! Hid the wiring well enough and I disable the switch when I take it to the dealership however. Because when you activate the locker via bypass switch, it throws...and stores a fault. So if you're under warranty, consider that, and clear the faults before taking it in.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertech View Post
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24664

Best tech thread write up ever. this will allow you to use your lockers anytime you want, even two wheel drive.
I have been looking for this thread! First thing I'm changing when i get home!

JKOutcast
post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Yep, 4-low only. I only hacked my rear locker so i can play in 2wd. I don't have the power, or guts to slip my clutch enough to need my front locker in 4-hi! Hid the wiring well enough and I disable the switch when I take it to the dealership however. Because when you activate the locker via bypass switch, it throws...and stores a fault. So if you're under warranty, consider that, and clear the faults before taking it in.
Good to know. Thanks Goody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode