weird problem, check engine, no codes, clock back to 12:00 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

weird problem, check engine, no codes, clock back to 12:00

hey. im having a weird situation.

first of all, my jeep would turn the Check Engine lamp about once a week. i checked for coded, but on the jeep with the key on off on off on off method, and at Autozone. i got nothing. so all i had to so was unhook the battery for 30 seconds, and the lamp would turn off. it would remain off for about a week, then it would come on again and i had to unhook the battery again.

well, about 2 weeks ago, the lamp went on as usual, but it has been very cold and i have been lazy, so i let it be....

about 4 days ago, i noticed the clock in the stock radio was not reading correctly... so i just reset it to the correct time, and didnt think much about it.

today, while driving, the Check Engine lamp suddenly went off, all by itself. i had never seen this happen.

a couple of hours later, i notice the clock is off again, its reading 1:15 at 5:30 pm. so i set it to the correct time again.

what could it be?? every time i disconnected the battery i had to reset the clock. but this time i didnt disconnect it, and i had the clock go to 12:00 twice, all by itself...

thanx!

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Kinda have the same problem on mine. Reach under the dash to the left and there should be a bunch of wires ( by the kick panel ) and move them a little. I think it is a loose wire, have not had time to get to the dealer but it did solve my problem for now.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

well, today the clock reset itself once again. i tried to look for a loose wire, but couldnt find it.

and i also noticed a HUGE increase in gas mileage with the Check Engine light turned off. and by huge i mean a 20-25% increase. i always put the same amount (20 liters), in the same pump, and always reset my mile counter. usually 20 liters would give me 100 km. right now im at 80 km, and the Drive To Empty marker says im good for another 90. i also noticed that when the Low Fuel light came on, i was already at 125 km..... ill have to do alot more testing, but so far, since the Check Engine light turned off by itself, this will be the second time i get over 125 km per 20 liters, when before the light would come on at the 95-100 km mark....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Wheeler

Check your battery connections. Some clamps would loosen and cause all kinds of weird electrical gremlins.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Rock God

There are two grounds one from the engine block to the body and one from the body to the frame , they are on the passenger side under the battery tray .
There are others but that is where most of the problems that I have seen with starting and persistent gremlin electrical losses are caused .

Corrosion with the connectors or the cable to the connector are what seems to be the answer .

And as others have stated the cheap battery connectors are also an area that could be improved upon .
Weak batteries have also caused some of these issues , a slightly weak battery can raise havoc .
Canbus voltage is sensitive , to low voltages . If the system sees low voltages it has a habitual bad attitude . They manifest themselves differently dependently on different year models . Some year models do one thing and others do something else .

Weak diodes in the alternator have even had the effect of variable other systemic issues , like the radio not being functional or the windows not working and door locks inoperable .
All together the electrical system that Chrysler has delivered is plain weird compared to other manufacturers .
I have found it a challenge to understand what the engineering staff was smoking when they designed something that could have been done so much easier than they ended up with .

Check your battery and alternator first then make an effort to secure those main grounds , look at the connections at the TIPM positive and negative for signs of corrosion or loose connections .

Tell us what you have found . I've learned a lot here on JKO , and some from trial and error . Good Hunting .
post #6 of 6 Old 01-20-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx for your input!!

i found out my negative battery terminal was a little loose, so i tightened it. however i left my jeep home on monday for an out of town trip, so i dont know how it has been behaving. i will check it on saturday that i come back home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode