Battery - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Battery

How long are people getting out of factory batteries on JK's. My 2014 Rubi has 8800 miles was put into service at 24 miles back in October of 2014. Well today the wife came home from work and parked in the garage. I went out and tried to start it and got nothing tried to jump it with my jump pack and the jump pack went from 100 % to 55% instantly and still no start. Recharged jump pack and same thing again it dropped instantly to 55%. Did not feel like dicking around with the dealer about the battery so I ran to Sams club and picked up a Duracell Platinum AGM for about 160 and thru into the jeep and it started right up. Had a check engine light so I tried to pull a code on the kenwood but it said something about a 00 code and told me to turn key on until check engine light flashed then went solid then start the vehicle. Did that and check engine light went out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post Odyssey

I replaced the factory battery with an Odyssey Battery the first week I had the jeep back in 2008 when it was new. I put the factory jeep battery into my wife's car and it lasted until we sold it. Depending on what you have done to the jeep, a factory battery may not be enough. Do you have a winch, extra lights, air compressor, upgraded stereo system or anything else that may put extra draw on the electrical system? It takes about 150 amps for a few seconds to crank a normal engine over, but a winch under full load can draw 450 amps and for a much longer time.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Only thing I have done is an after market headunit (Kenwood DNN991). Other then that, the vehicle is bone stock. It was just weird how it never even showed any signs of slow cranking or anything, my wife lets me know about any little thing that takes place with the jeep to the point I need to go out an look if she hits a bump or pot hole before she is no longer concerned she damaged something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: Battery

my 2011 JKUu OEM battery was replaced with a big,ole dependable and higher-CCA DieHard Platinum the first year I owned it; I noticed a slight bit of corrosion on the neg terminal ( indicating a slight ,hairline crack around the post) so I felt it best to replace since I was installing a winch shortly thereafter ; a fine upgrade ( albeit expensive) that I do not regret.
Re: my OEM battery, I still have it and each month it's on a battery conditioner while stored; checked it last month and it had 12.4v but it is not being used for anything....
I think I read that they are getting replaced after a couple of years ( ?) . It is a good ide if you wheel it to get the AGM or comparable with higher amps for cranking....this is not abnormal, if that makes you feel any better....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 05:36 AM
Rock God

The Stock Battery is a POS

The factory battery would be better suited mounted on the front of a boat as an anchor but I also think that the high heat under the hood factored into the premature death of the battery. I replaced mine due to burnt cell induced failure at 20K with an Optima, a second ground point to the body and a digital voltage meter plugged into the cigarette lighter. I immediately noticed that the battery would charge @ 14.2 volts for the first 5 minutes or so and diminish to 12.5 as the vehicle got up to running temp. That prompted me to install a PS hood louver. Since then the meter rarely dips below 14 volts and mostly fluctuates between 14.0 and 14.2
My next move will be to get rid of the factory alternator because that POS is barley up to the task of keeping a AA battery charged and will probably let go sometime in the near future when I'm least expecting it.

POG MO THOIN
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Consider your self lucky or fortunate or whatever description you choose .

Factory batteries that last more than two years for me are rare .

I have had good luck with Sears Platinum AGM's though .

I have in the past used Optima , but now that they moved production to Mexico , they are just not a product that I would consider .
Bought one and it lived a couple of months past the warranty and died .
Took it in anyway and the dealer said sorry .
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

My Battery did not make it a full 14 months. That was the whole reason for the question. I bought the Jeep new off the lot on 4 October 2014.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Red face

Sounds about right , sorry .un lupus is correct about heat ,as well. I run Synergy 14" louvers to prevent heatsoak and preserve plstics , rubber, etc....& whomever mentioned the doubleground strap is spot-on' as well.
my 11 jkuu came w the 160amp alt & surprisingly its still doing nothing different than new 'cept its around 80k ....mean green or comparable will replace once necessary (knock-on-wood) but now I've digressed off the subject . Just replace the battery ...if its that new , I'd wonder if it is warranty before spending $250-300 on a battery....it should last a couple of years ..I'm sure the dealership will say its because you put bigger tires or "offroaded" too hard so they get outta replacing it.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Rock God

my 2014 jkur battery lasted exactly 2 years and when it went it went fast. One slow start and then deader than a door nail. I had just over 36000 miles and I figured the dealer would cover it under the 3year 36,000 mile warranty and they said nope. Which was ok I wanted a higher cca battery anyway. I have done a fair amount of winching but have always run my vehicle while doing so.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Granite Guru

14mos hahahaha My dealer said factory batteries are horrible and last (he really said this) 14-18mo on average. And they give no warning other than random dash lights that make you chase down other non existent issues. They don't slow crank they just don't crank at all.

My '13 lasted 15 mo. Im on 4 mo with my '15.

Part of the problem is the crappy terminals. they don't clamp for crap so when loose they kill the battery quicker because it works harder to get the juice.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-15-2016, 12:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

My OEM battery lasted 3 1/2 years and about 30k miles then went flat dead with no warning whatsoever. Just can't ever tell.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #12 of 12 Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

My stock battery died in 2011. Replaced with a sears diehard platinum which lasted until last September. Replaced with a northstar.
I garage mine 2 to 5 weeks at a time while I am at work, which is hard on batteries. Just bought a batteryminder to maintain while away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode